Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not...

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Empty Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not...

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 5:19 pm

Wait for Paulo to come in and talk more about it... hapitgh

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Banniere---75449-31b6eb9
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Empty Re: Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not...

Post  paulopf on 4/16/2012, 5:23 pm

Yay! Yay! Thank you! I'll be back later, though. Hey! Would this one be used as well for movies and tv series?
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Empty Re: Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not...

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 5:25 pm

^ No, I'm creating right now the threads for the other topics, it will make the discussion more easy to follow.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf on 4/16/2012, 5:27 pm

Yes! I saw that! Thank you! Thank you! rooots

Here, for being so cool:

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Preying-manis-53

Last edited by paulopf on 4/16/2012, 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I tried to hide the mantis, but it didn't work. :( Thought about concealing it with a spoiler cut, but that would just lure people even more.)
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 5:29 pm

^LOL thx bb but completely OT Smile (it's called an evil mantis in French, no idea how it is called in English)

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile on 4/16/2012, 5:38 pm

AH! A huge picture of a mantis. arghh I don't like how this thread started lol
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 5:44 pm

i know, now I can't come here because the image of the bug's exquisit detail makes me want to throw up...

shinra, please create an "Insects and everything Gross" thread so we never have to come in.

and when you are at it, make a thread called "how to create many unnecessary threads that will be dead after one post".
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 5:53 pm

^And how about a thread called "how to cure someone from his persistent negativity"? Rolling Eyes If you don't believe in this/want to participate, just ignore it but plz don't try to bring them down neutre

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 5:55 pm

i was just joking. :angry:
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 6:13 pm

^ I'm not a mind reader, if you're joking then put some smiley, they are not here only to express the anger Laughing

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 6:15 pm

i thought that was a smiley too. phr34r
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 6:26 pm

You're talking about the invisible smiley? Laughing I begin to believe that the "joke" is a smart way to get rid of the mantis picture by getting quickly to page 2 suspectt

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 6:29 pm

despite the grossness, that mantis is extremely good looking. the first word that came to head is "dancing queen". Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 4/16/2012, 6:46 pm

At the beginning I couldn's see the face of the mantis so I thought it was like a devil's mask Razz

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... 250px-Muhte%C5%9Fem_Y%C3%BCzy%C4%B1l_Logo
I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 7:36 pm

^ You have fallen for Kim's trap Laughing Ok, I'm going to help you to get to page 2: it's actually a kind of mask, that posture is a defense posture the mantis is adopting to lure its enemy about the real size of the mantis. If you put it back in its real environment, the things that are the most noticeable are the 2 dark marks on its forelegs, they are supposed to represent the eyes of a much bigger animal, the rest of the body of the mantis being normally blended in the vegetal background.

Back to literature: I have read all the work of Honoré de Balzac (101 novels, including his unfinished work areu ) and of Stendhal. My other favorite writers are Dostoievsky and Romain Gary (the Roots of Heaven). What I like the most in Balzac and Dostoievsky works is the way they constantly enter the mind of the character and they relate any single little move of a hand or the eyes to what is going in their head. It's quite instructive ^^. About the writing style, Stendhal is by far my favorite but of course, I can only recommend it to French readers.

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 7:55 pm

shinra, are you really 17 yrs old? I don't know any 17 olds who have read that many novels...yet.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 8:00 pm

^ Lol! where did you get this info? Smile

Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 4/16/2012, 8:22 pm

Wait, Shinra is 17 years old? ohmy I'm sure you're kidding Kim, I think he's like 25.

@Shinra, from your authors I know Dostoievsky and Honore de Balzac, though the last one I only know him by name lol

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... 250px-Muhte%C5%9Fem_Y%C3%BCzy%C4%B1l_Logo
I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 4/16/2012, 9:22 pm

well, i read most of my classics during high school - both foreign and serbian literature. that was growling. it's late now, past 2 am, so will talk more tomorrow.

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Sig11

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... 212
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/16/2012, 9:31 pm

@Shinra17 - either he's 17 yrs old, or born in 1917... or owns 17 sheep, or lives on the 17th floor, or has 17 toes.

Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf on 4/16/2012, 9:50 pm

Shinra17 wrote:^ You have fallen for Kim's trap Laughing Ok, I'm going to help you to get to page 2: it's actually a kind of mask, that posture is a defense posture the mantis is adopting to lure its enemy about the real size of the mantis. If you put it back in its real environment, the things that are the most noticeable are the 2 dark marks on its forelegs, they are supposed to represent the eyes of a much bigger animal, the rest of the body of the mantis being normally blended in the vegetal background.

Back to literature: I have read all the work of Honoré de Balzac (101 novels, including his unfinished work areu ) and of Stendhal. My other favorite writers are Dostoievsky and Romain Gary (the Roots of Heaven). What I like the most in Balzac and Dostoievsky works is the way they constantly enter the mind of the character and they relate any single little move of a hand or the eyes to what is going in their head. It's quite instructive ^^. About the writing style, Stendhal is by far my favorite but of course, I can only recommend it to French readers.

Hm. Weird. I wrote a huge reply and it vanished. I hope it doesn't end in another part of the forum. Anyway! Here I go again. Okay. I was going to reply first to other comments, but then I saw Dostoievsky's name. Alioscha Karamazov is one of my idols! That said, I'm far from having read all of Dostoievsky's work, but my favorites are Brothers Karamazov, The Adolescent, Crime and Punishment and The Idiot. From him, I've also read Demons, Humiliated and Offended, Poor Folk, A Little Hero, The Gambler and some short stories. I have to admit that I haven't read Balzac or Stendhal and after you made me google it, I hadn't even heard about Romain Gary. Oh! When I think of loyalty and love beyond death, I remember that phrase Iliuscha's dad, from Brother's Karamazov kept quoting after his son died: "If I forget you, O Jerusalem..." Hey! That's what I was referring to about poetry fitting the most different situations, depending on the context. Razz Wow. This made me really excited!
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 4/17/2012, 3:23 am

paulopf wrote:
Shinra17 wrote:

Hm. Weird. I wrote a huge reply and it vanished. I hope it doesn't end in another part of the forum. Anyway! Here I go again. Okay. I was going to reply first to other comments, but then I saw Dostoievsky's name. Alioscha Karamazov is one of my idols! That said, I'm far from having read all of Dostoievsky's work, but my favorites are Brothers Karamazov, The Adolescent, Crime and Punishment and The Idiot. From him, I've also read Demons, Humiliated and Offended, Poor Folk, A Little Hero, The Gambler and some short stories. I have to admit that I haven't read Balzac or Stendhal and after you made me google it, I hadn't even heard about Romain Gary. Oh! When I think of loyalty and love beyond death, I remember that phrase Iliuscha's dad, from Brother's Karamazov kept quoting after his son died: "If I forget you, O Jerusalem..." Hey! That's what I was referring to about poetry fitting the most different situations, depending on the context. Razz Wow. This made me really excited!

Whoa, I feel like a total Philistine here, because none of those names ring a bell to me Embarassed

I never took a class of literature in my life so...

Anyway, I'm more into the fantasy and science fiction genre, and a few books I would recommend are:

The Elenium Trilogy by David Eddings-- An exiled knight returns to find his betrayed queen near death but sustained by a spell, and embarks on a journey to restore her life. He gathers companions with distinctive and colourful personalities to help him in his quest. I really love the humour in this book, and the camaraderie between the characters, and my favourite character is the young thief Talen.

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card-- Companion novel to the Hugo and Nebula-award winning novel 'Ender's Game'. I prefer the protagonist of this story (named Bean) because he is more of an underdog compared to Ender, the protagonist of 'Ender's Game'.

As for non-fantasy or science fiction novels:

I've also read quite a few novels by Christopher Rice (son of Anne Rice, the author of the Vampire chronicles)-- 'A Density of Souls', 'Snow Garden' and 'Light before Day'. At least one character in each of these novels is gay, and the author himself is gay too; and there is something about his writing that just sucks you in. These stories are quite dramatic and often take an unexpectedly violent turn towards the end, but they've kept me up past my bedtime, so I thought it's worth recommending them here.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/17/2012, 4:58 am

Delight wrote:Anyway, I'm more into the fantasy and science fiction genre, and a few books I would recommend are:

The Elenium Trilogy by David Eddings-- An exiled knight returns to find his betrayed queen near death but sustained by a spell, and embarks on a journey to restore her life. He gathers companions with distinctive and colourful personalities to help him in his quest. I really love the humour in this book, and the camaraderie between the characters, and my favourite character is the young thief Talen.

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card-- Companion novel to the Hugo and Nebula-award winning novel 'Ender's Game'. I prefer the protagonist of this story (named Bean) because he is more of an underdog compared to Ender, the protagonist of 'Ender's Game'.
These books are some of my favorites too. I've read Ender's Game and its sequels, but the Bean narrative in Ender's Shadow is my favorite too. After reading the first Ender's Game, and then reading the same story from a totally different POV..... ohmy that was baffling, and such good storytelling. All the Bean books are good, especially the politics he puts into them. Plus I like the fact that noone is 100% good and noone is 100% bad. He has the tendency to show everyone's POV in his books.

David Eddings is one of my favorite authors. I like The Elenium trilogy, but am absolutely addicted to the Garion books: The Belgarion and The Mallorea. They are about a boy who discovers that his aunt and grandfather are wizards, and so is he. He then finds out that he's part of a prophecy (sounds familiar?) and has to defeat a God. It's a bit of a mixture between The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.
To clarify: these books were written after LotR, but before Harry Potter.
I have this wish that Chris will one day play Garion in a series of movies (with either Cher of Helena Bonham Carter as Polgara, and Christopher Plummer as Belgarath). But it will have to be soon, because Chris is growing out of his young boy skin fast. Razz

Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favorite book styles. Harry Potter of course, and I can proudly say that I've read all the Middle Earth books of Tolkien, including the Silmarillion and Hurin's Children, and I can even understand them and the whole history, genealogy and all.

Another favorite author, who combines fantasy and science fiction is Anne McCaffrey (and her son Todd). She created the Dragons of Pern books, and the 'Ship' books.
The 'Ship' books are about spacecrafts with a human brain as main core.
The Dragons of Pern are about a colonisation mission of a planet by humans. Once they get there they find out that there's a destructive organism called 'thread' that falls in regular intervalls from the sky, destroying all organic tissue, including crops, animals and humans. They then create dragons out of a lizzard like animal, and connect them mentally with humans, so they can work together as teams, fighting that 'thread' with the fire of the dragons.
The interesting part is that this colony slowly loses its technology that brought them there and more: electricity, medicines and surgery techniques, computers, vehicles, communication devices. So they decide to go back to a more medieval structure. It's really interesting to see how they fill these voids caused by failing technology.
The teachers of that world are bards, teaching through song.

- Besides fantasy I like the old drama and romance: Jane Austen is a big favorite of mine.
- And I have a liking for the books of James A. Michener, because he does so much research and has very realistic surroundings and stories, rooted in history.
- I like Dan Brown for his mysteries and culture/history, but I don't like the bloody murders in his books.
- Although I cannot read his books in French, I like Victor Hugo, he was a humanitarian far ahead of his time.
- And I have a very silly guilty pleasure in reading the Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot and enjoying them tremendously. blushh

I prefer reading books in their original language. I find a translation always taking away from the 'tone' and identity of the author.

Glorfindel
Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... 6-550
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile on 4/17/2012, 6:21 am

paulopf wrote:
Shinra17 wrote:^ You have fallen for Kim's trap Laughing Ok, I'm going to help you to get to page 2: it's actually a kind of mask, that posture is a defense posture the mantis is adopting to lure its enemy about the real size of the mantis. If you put it back in its real environment, the things that are the most noticeable are the 2 dark marks on its forelegs, they are supposed to represent the eyes of a much bigger animal, the rest of the body of the mantis being normally blended in the vegetal background.

Oh my, now I'm feeling like someone who never read anything in the whole life, and it's not even funny!
I never read Dostoievsky, I have The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov, but I always stayed away from them.

Glorfindel wrote:- Besides fantasy I like the old drama and romance: Jane Austen is a big favorite of mine.

- I like Dan Brown for his mysteries and culture/history, but I don't like the bloody murders in his books.
Ah! I had a crush on Jane Austen and her books when I was in Highschool!! Seriously, I always felt her like some kind of a powerful female figure of her time, like Virginia Woolf.
Now I don't think that I could read her books with the same enthusiasm, but they left me nice memorys!

I don't like Dan Brown. phr34r I read The Da Vinci Code when it went out and the next of the same series, but everything was so unsubstantiated! It doesn't intrigue me.
It's not a criticism, eh! Down to personal tastes.

Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 4/17/2012, 7:06 am

I find Dostoyevsky completly overbaring and depresing. I have never felt more depresed then after reading him, and some Serbian authors like Crnjanski's "Migrations" - the most boring novel I have ever read. I had to read Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov as our obligatory reading and together with Anna Karenina - NEVER AGAIN. I'm with this Jane Austin love - Pride and Prejudice is probably my favorite "romance" novel ever.

I love Kafka. His "The Trial" is one of my favorites as is Orvel's "1984". You could say, I like psychological thrillers set in an dictatorial environment and the struggle of the individual to battle the constant fear of imprisonment, betrayal or death.

Also Borislav Pekic. He is a Serbian author that wrote the first catastrophic novel ever in 1983 - it's called Rabies - about a genetically engineered Rabies virus with a double protein envelope, thus becoming extremely easy to transmit (biting is not necessary any more), which spreads from one victim to another extremely fast. The virus gets turned loose at the London's Heathrow Airport. Sadly, I don't think there is an English translation of the novel.

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... Sig11

Books you have read and wish to recommend, or not... 212
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next