TLoS4: Beyond the Kingdoms - Promo Thread

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: TLoS4: Beyond the Kingdoms - Promo Thread

Post  Glorfindel on 7/9/2015, 4:34 pm

^Lol, same. Smile

adoringlou asked: Which character are you most excited for your readers to meet?
I think they’re going to love Robin Hood!

lollipopps123456 asked: I have a second question if that's alright if Brian or cooper or both were transported into the land of stories 4 what would they do and who would they make friends with?
I have a feeling Cooper would live in the Fairy Palace where everything is happy and wonderful all the time, and Brian would join Captain Marquee and try to take over the world.

vivianagleek asked: What fairy tale where you most excited to incorporate into the series? The one you were eager to write for and explore the world of?
I wasn’t planning to like the Tin Woodman as much as I did. Once I figured out what kind of character he was, I really enjoyed writing for him.

chriscolfr asked: Any particular song you listened to the most while writing TLOS4? Or maybe an album or artist that was your favourite at the time?
I have a “writing playlist” of a bunch of film scores. The epic music really helps my imagination.

pastelcolourkurt asked: Hi Chris, which new character from the fourth book did you find the most interesting and fun to write? Are there any fairytale characters you would have liked to include but couldn't fit/squeeze in? Thank you! Ily
I loved writing stuff for Robin Hood. I always imagined he would have a big ego, so it was fun to put that twist on him. Also, the new villain Morina was fun to write for. Unlike Ezmia (the Enchantress from the second book,) Morina is just as clever as she is powerful. A dangerous combination for a witch.

fuckthelifeimgoingtonewyork asked: Any characters based on Cooper? Like you did with Brian?
No dogs in The Land of Stories yet, but maybe soon!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/9/2015, 4:58 pm

yaaragl asked: How was writing this book different than the others? Love you
While writing this book, I felt guiltier playing around with the characters because they are so closely linked to their creators. An example, many know that L. Frank Balm created the Wicked Witch of the West. With fairy-tales, most of the characters were created long before the Brothers Grimm published their takes on them, so it was easier to make my own interpretations.

benoiists asked: Hi, in your opinion, which of the Real Housewives shows would Red fit into the best, and would she be the one who gets her own spinoff? Smile
I’m not sure Red would go on the Real Housewives. She’d want the spinoff upfront. I imagine she and Lisa Vanderpump would get along, though, so I’ll say Beverly Hills.

astudyofchriscolfer asked: Hey Chris, are you writing your books in chronological order or are you writing whatever chapter you're in the mood for and then putting them all together in the end?
Chronological order works best for me, so I don’t get ahead of myself!

zefrron asked: What was your favorite new place in tlos4 to write about?
I loved writing about Wonderland. I had too much fun writing a world where everyone has a bit of crazy in them. Oddly, I found it very homey.

imperfectly-sophie asked: Who are your favorite authors/which authors/books inspired you to write these books or in general?
J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, Lewis Carroll, Frank L. Baum, Eva Ibbotson, and any author that created their own magical world were big inspirations. My imagination would be very dull without them.

teilo asked: I'm glad to see that the Curvy Tree is getting a chance to have its own book. Is there any chance that the Walking Fish might get its own book?
Maybe! I also think Cornelius should have his own picture book. I just finished Trollbella’s.

ifeelyousoclosetome asked: Are any of the characters inspired by anyone you know? If so, who? Smile
Almost all the characters were inspired by someone I know, but luckily no one has realized it yet, so I’ll keep it to myself.

klainiac14 asked: What made you want to go beyond the land of stories and into other works of literature? P.S. You are amazing!
Thank you!!! I figured going into the stories of literature would be a great adventure and an easy progression for the story. I also love taking something known and reinventing it in a way that makes people think.

ajkme asked: How did you decide which non-fairy tale stories to go to beyond the kingdoms? Did you have specific criteria?
I’ll admit, I was selfish… I picked the stories I had personally always wanted to magically travel into. The fact that they were all “classic” and free domain made it an easy choice too.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/9/2015, 5:17 pm

quietconfidence asked: Has anyone ever tried to get Mother Goose to go to rehab? Is Lester Mother Goose's enabler? What is Mother Goose like when she is sober?
At this point, I think Mother Goose is always sober. Being a woman in her late two-hundreds, I think she’s built up an unbeatable tolerance. “Intoxicated” is more in her personality than her blood/alcohol level. She just loves letting loose.

theawesomenessthatischriscolfer asked: Thank you for taking Questions!!!!! I would like to ask if Conner will eventually feel able to let out his own 'magic'? Will he find the confidence to embrace and express that side of himself?.? Thank you!!!! Smile))
I can’t give anything away, but you’ll love “Beyond the Kingdoms!”

colferswatson asked: I always loved Brandon's works, what's the illustration you loved the most in TLOS4? thank you, i love you!
All the covers in the series are spectacular. There have been a few illustrations that have made me tear up. I think the cover of my new book “Queen Red Riding Hood’s Guide to Royalty” is pretty amazing.

Thanks everyone for tuning into Tumblr Answer Time and for asking such great questions!

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 7/10/2015, 7:04 pm

http://chriscolfernews.co

Chris Colfer set to appear on "The Late Late Show with James Corden"
Tuesday, July 21: Chris Colfer, Paula Abdul

Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/10/2015, 9:59 pm

“I love thinking that there is magic in the world, that there are people in the world with amazing abilities that we just don’t know about.”
— Chris Colfer in Chicago Sun-Times, July 15, 2012 (x)

There is another interview. But now on my blog it says the video doesn't exist. dryy

I see if I can find another one as it looks like Chris might do an album someday, that he isn't against the idea anymore and he hates watching himself on Glee now.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/10/2015, 10:24 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-jk-0710-chris-colfer-land-of-stories-glee-20150710-story.html

And yet he’s still not too cool for school.

The former ‘Glee’ star, Chris Colfer, has written a series of highly acclaimed children’s books. His latest is out today and Chris is at Sirius Radio to promote it.
Colfer visits Naperville and Skokie bookstores this weekend to meet tween fans and sign copies of the fourth book in “The Land of Stories.” Titled “Beyond the Kingdoms,” it’s the latest installment in Colfer’s fairy tale remix/mashup set in a never-never-land encountered by a brother and sister. “Beyond the Kingdoms” tails the twins Alex and Conner Bailey as they recruit Goldilocks, Jack, Red Riding Hood, Mother Goose and her gander to thwart a plot by some of the wickedest villains ever to darken children’s dreams.

“Glee” ended its six-year run last spring. “The Land of Stories” is paging toward its happily-ever-after conclusion — Colfer and his publisher planned for the fifth book, out next year, to be the finale. But in an email exchange, Colfer hinted at a possible plot twist. This is an edited transcript.
Q: When did you get the idea to write these books?
A: I came up with the initial concept when I was about 7 or 8. Fairy tales and fantasy novels were my favorite thing to read, and I desperately wanted to jump into the books and join the adventures.
Q: Did you intend for it to be a series, or did you think it would be one and done?
A: At first, I was only planning to do one book, but thankfully it did very well, and now I’ve expanded it into a series.
Q: How have you managed to write among all of your other pursuits?
A: I’m not sure how I’ve managed to pull it off. Filming a one-hour single-camera television show can sometimes take as much as 80 hours a week to shoot. In between lighting setups, between scenes, weekends, late nights — any chance I got to myself I devoted to writing.
Q: Where would you be found during these rare breaks in “Glee” action?
A: I wrote most of the first “TLOS” book in the boys dressing room under the stage of the 2011 Glee World Tour. The rest were written in any quiet corner I could find on Stage 14 and 15.
Q: Are you surprised by the series’s success, or did you know it would resonate the way it has?
A: I hoped it would do well, but I never expected the series would become what it has. It’s been translated into a dozen languages and has sold well above a million copies — and that’s not including international or “TLOS” 4 sales. The series has also gotten critical praise, but most importantly, kids really love reading it. None of it would mean anything unless they did. Giving kids an adventure is much more fulfilling than just selling a product.
Q: Did you always love to write? Or to act? Which came first and most intensely?
A: It all hit me at the same time, because as a kid I didn’t know the difference. It was all storytelling, and storytelling is my addiction.
Q: Do you consider yourself an actor first, or a writer?
A: Probably a writer, only because every actor has to be a little bit of a writer in order to create a character.
Q: What do you hope kids take from your books?
A: There are several lessons throughout the series that teachers and librarians have actually referenced in their classrooms, but honestly, I just want my readers to have an adventure. I think it’s just as important to be entertained as it is to be educated. It’s important to let kids enjoy reading too.
Q: Any chance of a sixth book in the series?
A: I’m toying around with the idea of doing six. I’m not ready to say goodbye to these characters.
Q: What else is next for you — what are you working on right now?
A: I’ll be playing Noel Coward in an upcoming biopic. I also have three other books being published this year: a children’s picture book “The Curvy Tree” and two novellas in a boxed set, “The Mother Goose Diaries” and “Queen Red Riding Hood’s Guide to Royalty.” Next year my second children’s picture book, “Trollbella Throws a Party,” will be published as well as “TLOS” 5 and a new YA novel.
Colfer will sign books and meet fans at 7 p.m. Friday at Anderson’s Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson, Naperville; and at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Barnes and Noble, 55 Old Orchard Shopping Center, Skokie. Free to attend, $18 for the book. http://www.thelandofstories.com/events/

These are basically questions that have already been asked.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/10/2015, 10:36 pm

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/07/09/chris-colfer-sign-land-of-stories-mesa/29916349/
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/10/2015, 10:44 pm

This was the video that said didn't exist after I reblogged it.

CCN is trying to fix it. neutre

ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/10/2015, 10:56 pm

http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#ec=8wNzI1djpBy-h1RS-hrZSrfGWEHrBhVs&pbid=4441ed2a84e74b66b60ce980f20deb84&docUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fchriscolfernews.com%2Fpost%2F123743266643%2Fchris-colfer-on-life-after-glee-and-his-latest
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 9:18 am

CCN put the video up now (on Vimeo), minus a little bit at the beginning (the part in which he says that he can't watch himself on Glee, lol). Arrow LINK

From the same interview:

x

"It seems when you talk about the scars haven’t healed when you’re bullied—are you still angry about it now years later even though you’ve had all these success?

x

Last edited by Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 9:20 am

I don't know if this was posted yet:
Chris Colfer set to appear on "The Late Late Show with James Corden"

Tuesday, July 21:
Chris Colfer, Paula Abdul

Last edited by Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 9:21 am

Chris Colfer in Mesa to sign latest 'Land of Stories,' 7/15

Barbara Yost, Special for The Republic 11:09 a.m. MST July 9, 2015

The actor, who rose to fame in TV's "Glee," will sign and discuss the fourth book in his Land of Stories series of books for children.

(Photo: Maarten de Boer)

When actor-author Chris Colfer called recently, he didn't want to talk about the Supreme Court's landmark decision on same-sex marriage.

It could be that Colfer, 25, whose breakout role as a gay student in the musical TV series "Glee" gave him a platform to speak out on LGBT issues, is just too busy these days to worry whether sexual orientation is any more significant than the color of your eyes or what kind of socks you wear.

He's so busy, in fact, that he hasn't had time to miss "Glee," which ended its six-year run on Fox in March.

In addition to working on a biopic about English playwright and actor Noël Coward, Colfer has just published "The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms," the fourth in his series of fantasy books for middle-school readers. He'll discuss and sign his book Tuesday, July 15, at Dobson High School in Mesa; Changing Hands Bookstore is hosting the event. )

Colfer is not one of those celebrities who hires someone to ghost write a book and then puts his name on the cover. As a child, he began telling himself stories and writing them down to alleviate the sadness he felt about his sister's challenges with epilepsy. His grandmother encouraged him, and the result was this New York Times best-selling series that has twins Alex and Conner Bailey exploring the fairy-tale world and, in this latest book, venturing into the Land of Oz, Neverland and Wonderland.

In "Beyond the Kingdoms," Alex (she's training to become a fairy godmother) and Conner are on the hunt for the evil Masked Man, who's causing trouble in the Land of Stories, armed with a magic potion. The twins enlist the help of Jack of the beanstalk fame, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Mother Goose and her gander, Lester.

These are not exactly the characters you remember from childhood. Mother Goose, for example, is a bit of a tippler.

Colfer's skills as an author now rival his celebrity as Kurt Hummel on "Glee."

"The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms," is the fourth book in the series. (Photo: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)

"I never expected my books to become best-sellers," he said. "I don't think any author really does. I was originally going to do just the one book, and it did well. So I've been keeping at it. I'm definitely moving in a writing direction. … I've been very fortunate with good reviews and good repeats, thank goodness."

Colfer began his writing sideline when "Glee" was a red-hot show just a few years old. "The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell" was the first book in the series.

"I had zero time," he recalled. "It began when I got 'Glee,' thank God, because it launched me in many, many directions. Shortly after I won the Golden Globe, I was approached to do an autobiography. I was 19 at the time. I thought I should probably wait a little. No one wants to hear advice from a 19-year-old. But I'd always known since I was a kid that I wanted to be an author and write the Land of Stories series."

He found a literary agent who supported his desire to write the fiction he had imagined as a boy, stories he said he had used as therapy when his little sister was in and out of hospitals.

"A lot of people thought I was nuts — What are you writing a kids novel for?" Colfer said. "I followed my gut and thankfully it became a really big success. I wrote a story that I would love to have been told when I was a kid. There are a lot of books that have a lot of recommendations by adults for kids. They forget sometimes that kids want to be entertained."

Every book doesn't have to have a moral, he said. More important is to get children reading for enjoyment.

As a youngster, Colfer only read books he was assigned to read. Then came the "Harry Potter" books; unable to put them down, he discovered the joy of reading.

"It made me a better reader," he said. "I was a terrible reader when I was growing up. … Then those books came along, and I was glued. I loved the stories so much. It saved me in a way."

Colfer's books explore classic fairy tales but in a contemporary style in which characters talk the way young people do today. That was deliberate, he said.

"I could have very well made the way they speak very classical, very Elizabethan. Technically, they (the fairy-tale heroes) have been around so long they would speak classically. But a kid wouldn't enjoy that. Kids want to hear Mother Goose making a wisecrack."

When he first began touring to promote his books, Colfer said, most of the audience were "Gleeks" who came out to see Kurt Hummel. Now it's book fans and their parents who flock to his appearances, along with the occasional Gleek.

"It makes me feel like a real author," he said.

Although the books are marketed to children 8 to 12, he counts among his fans anyone who enjoys a magical story.

There's more magic ahead for Colfer. He says that his publisher has committed him to release books until 2020, more Land of Stories books, a young-adult novel and another children's book.

And he'd like to find time to appear in a Broadway musical, just as Kurt always dreamed of.

"I hope it's on the horizon," he said. "I grew up devouring musical theater and was very active in my community theater. Musical theater and performing are in my blood. I really hope it happens sooner rather than later because I'm afraid I'll get too old and I'll be scared to do it."

Maybe he's following Noël Coward's philosophy: "Work is more fun than fun."
azcentral.com/2015/07/09/chris-colfer-sign-land-of-stories-mesa

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  mindschemez on 7/11/2015, 5:50 pm

YES to james corden!!!

mindschemez
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 7/11/2015, 6:14 pm

mindschemez wrote:YES to james corden!!!

I agree! I love the format of his show!

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/11/2015, 7:10 pm

Today Show: Glee-full to have met Chris Colfer this week!

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/13/2015, 12:26 pm

Chris Colfer on Meeting JK Rowling and His Newest Land of Stories Book

By Evie Carpenter
Monday, July 13, 2015

Chris Colfer will be in Phoenix on Wednesday, July 15, to sign copies of The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms.
Courtesy of Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Fairy tales and worlds of make believe have been with Chris Colfer from the beginning.
The first story the New York Times bestselling author and Golden Globe-winning actor wrote in second or third grade dealt with an imagined world. It was a twist on Cinderella, involving an elderly woman named Seniorella whose fairy godmother didn't bestow upon her a dress or pair of glass slippers, but instead a pair of fake teeth.

"Ever since I was a kid they were the kind of stories that I really paid attention to," said the 25-year-old Glee star over the phone as he waits for a plane in Chicago. "There’s something about magic that I’ve been more attracted to than anything else I read. . . Pretty much any story where a kid went from our world into a magical realm I just devoured."

On Wednesday, July 15, Colfer will be at Dobson High School, 1501 West Guadalupe Road in Mesa, to share the latest book in his The Land of Stories series. The fantasy series, which has garnered fans of all ages though it's aimed at readers ages 8 through 12, follows twins Alex and Conner Bailey as they traverse worlds they thought existed only in story books. 

Just like the characters in Colfer's favorite childhood books, including Harry Potter, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland, in The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms Alex and Conner must stop their nemesis, the Masked Man, from assembling an army of villains from classic stories. Helping the Baileys are Goldilocks, Jack (you know, the one with the beanstalk), Red Riding Hood, and Mother Goose, and her gander, Lester. 
Besides being entertained, Colfer hopes that young people reading his book will see a more relatable kind of hero, especially in Alex.

"You know, there’s a quote that Alex, the main character, says, and it’s about greatness and maybe greatness isn’t about being popular or heroic, maybe it’s about just fighting for the greater good for the world even when the world turns back on you," Colfer says. "I think every book has lessons and morals and whatnot sprinkled throughout, but honestly, I just want kids to have an adventure when they read [Beyond the Kingdoms]. It’s just as important to entertain kids with books as it is to educate them."

Having never taken a writing course, Colfer credits his love of storytelling to his absorption of television as a child.

He urges adults to not only let kids read what they want but also stop telling children they’re watching too much television or too many movies.

"I did nothing but watch TV and movies when I was a kid, and I think it’s really what made me a good storyteller," he says. "I learned how to identify a story and learned how to format one, so I think a lot of good can come from binge-watching TV and movies." 
Since Glee, on which he played Kurt Hummel, ended in March of 2015, Colfer says he has had more time to work on his books, that is, when he can find somewhere to write that his cat hasn’t already claimed. 

With three more books scheduled to come out this year and starring as Noel Coward in a biopic focusing on the early life of the Tony Award-winning playwright, Colfer has quite a year ahead of him.

But in the meantime, he’s looking forward to meeting new fans on his book tour.
Colfer says his fan base has changed as The Land of Stories books have come out, shifting from mostly teenagers who became fans because of Glee to younger children who only know him as an author.

"I’d say we have about 80 to maybe 90 percent of the book signings are all just little kids that don’t know me from TV and just know me from the books alone, and it’s just so fun to hear how excited they get when they talk about it," he says.
Colfer can relate. He remembers the feeling he had when he met J. K. Rowling at the White House when the cast of Glee was invited to perform at the Easter Egg Roll in 2010.
"Honestly, I was just as excited to meet her as I was to meet Obama," Colfer says.

Share in the excitement yourself when Chris Colfer comes to Dobson High School, 1501 West Guadalupe Road in Mesa, with Changing Hands for his first book signing in the Valley on Wednesday, July 15, at 7 p.m. Will call opens at 6 p.m. and doors open at 6:30. Admission to the signing is free with the purchase of The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms ($18) through Changing Hands. To purchase the book and to get more information about the event, visit changinghands.com.
phoenixnewtimes.com/chris-colfer-on-meeting-jk-rowling-and-his-newest-land-of-stories-book

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/13/2015, 12:31 pm

AOLBUILD#RTtoWIN: We’ve got 3 signed copies of @ChrisColfer’s “The Land Of Stories” & they could be yours! Ends tomorrow!

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 7/13/2015, 2:02 pm

There's more magic ahead for Colfer. He says that his publisher has committed him to release books until 2020, more Land of Stories books, a young-adult novel and another children's book.

Yes, yes, yes!
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 7/13/2015, 2:09 pm

most books don't make much money. well known authors w/ a proven track record especially those on NYT best seller list are like cash cows. every publisher loves them. sometimes these few big money makers can support a lot of smaller, unknown writers from a financial point of view. chris achieving such a status at such a young age is really impressive.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 7/13/2015, 2:15 pm

His first three LOS book sold over a million copies, (and Chris made a point of saying it did not include sales of the 4th) it's just amazing!!!

bounce
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 7/13/2015, 9:53 pm

Yay Razz So proud of Chris. Sometimes I wonder if years ago he thought how far he would get.

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/14/2015, 6:32 pm

Everything You Need To Know About Chris Colfer’s Fantasy Book Series

BuzzFeed had the chance to catch up with the Glee actor about the latest novel in his fantasy series, The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms. Here’s what he had to say.
posted on Jul. 14, 2015, at 5:42 p.m.

BuzzFeed / Jon Premosch

While the world is most familiar with Chris Colfer for playing Kurt on Glee, there’s more to the 25-year-old than singing and acting. Colfer is also the author of a New York Times best-selling children’s series, The Land of Stories.

In the first book in the series — The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, which was released in July 2012 — we meet twins Alex and Conner Bailey who accidentally teleport into different fairy tale worlds when they read their grandma’s book of fantasy stories. The fourth installment in the series, The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms, was published July 7, and now readers get to follow their favorite characters as they embark on even more adventures.

BuzzFeed had the chance to catch up Colfer and talk about his writing process, the possible movies based on the books, and the advice he’d give to his younger self. Here’s what he had to say:

1. Chris Colfer came up with the idea for The Land of Stories when he was very young.

When did you first come up with the idea for The Land of Stories?
Chris Colfer: I first came up with the idea for The Land of Stories when I was about 7 years old. I loved fairy tales and reading and I so desperately just wanted to jump into the stories that I read.

Seven years old is very young.
CC: There’s a thin line between creativity and insanity.

2. The goal behind his fantasy series is to escape reality.

Do you remember what your inspiration originally was for those stories?
CC: I had a pretty complicated childhood because I had a sister that was constantly sick and going in and out of the hospital. I think I used reading and fairy tales as a way of escaping, and I so desperately wanted to truly escape and magically travel into a magical world where problems weren’t real.

3. There isn’t just one main character in The Land of Stories — there are two.

Why did you decide to have two main characters — Alex and Conner — instead of just one protagonist?
CC: I’m a Gemini, so the main characters represent both sides of me. I thought that would be a great, unique way of portraying the protagonist.

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

4. Colfer’s feminist beliefs influence how he writes certain characters.

Do you have a favorite character?
CC: Of course! I hope it’s not obvious, but I love Mother Goose. I have a lot of strong female characters in my series because I’m a bit of a feminist. They’re always really fun to write for, and none of them are alike.

5. The actor enjoys writing fiction because of how much freedom it gives him.

Do you prefer writing books or screenplays for TV and film?
CC: It’s funny because whatever I’m doing at the time, I always think the opposite is much easier. When I write books, I’ve been lucky enough to have complete creative control and I can tell the exact story that I want, whereas sometimes when I’m working on a film script or something for television, I’m constantly getting notes from studio executives. I have more freedom writing books.

6. There are a number of different fantasy worlds included in The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms.

How do you decide which fantasy worlds you want to include in The Land of Stories for your characters to explore?
CC: This is the first book where the characters travel into literary worlds rather than just general fairy tale worlds. I selfishly decided to use Oz, Neverland, Wonderland, Camelot, and the Sherwood Forest because those were my favorite books growing up and I also think they’re some of the most recognizable worlds in fiction.

7. Even though the books are fiction, the author puts a *lot* of himself into the novels.

How much of yourself do you put into the novels?
CC: Being an actor has actually made me a stronger writer because with each character, I’m able to put myself in their shoes and almost take it on as a role. I act out what they would say, what they would feel, and how they would go about expressing themselves. Not only is there a little bit of me in each main character, but I also put myself into the villains, too. Writing the Enchantress in book two — The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns — was basically how I got out all my frustrations about relationships. There’s this great chapter where she has all these souls of the men that she loved in jars and I always thought that’d be wonderful, just to jar up your exes and bottle up your heartbreak.

Rob Kim / Getty Images

8. Colfer channels all of his emotions into fiction writing.

What kind of creativity does this outlet provide you with compared to other artistic mediums?
CC: I’m able to channel whatever I want into writing The Land of Stories, whereas when you’re on TV there are so many days — especially when you’re on Glee — when you have to be happy. There’s lots and lots of happiness, and there are some days when you’re just not happy. If you’re in a terrible mood, sometimes you have to do the exact opposite of what your heart wants to do. When you’re writing books, you’re able to channel whatever emotion you’re going through at the time.

9. And he loves hearing from his readers.

What’s your favorite part of writing for children?
CC: Hearing from the children. I love hearing from the kids about how much they love the books, how they share copies, how they play pretend with the characters, and how they want to see a movie because they fall in love with the characters so much.

10. We’re probably going to see The Land of Stories adapted into equally lovable movies.

Is there going to be a movie?
CC: I think so, yeah. We’ll see. I’m really particular about it because I’ve always said from the beginning that I’d rather it be a good book that 100 people read than a terrible movie that 100,000 people see. The offers have started coming in and I’m trying to find the right people to do it with.

11. But Colfer doesn’t want the actors who play the two main characters to be known.

Have you thought about who you want to play Alex and Conner, the main characters in the story?
CC: In a dream world I’d love for it to be Meryl Streep and Daniel Day-Lewis, but they might be busy or they might not want to play 12-year-olds. But I actually really want them to be unknown actors. One of the reasons why I did not label the city that they live in is because I wanted all of the kids who read the books to be able to relate to them and see themselves within the characters. I would hope that with no familiarity of the actors playing the characters, kids would also relate to the movie.

12. Readers are going to find a lot of important messages in this latest book.

What do you hope readers take away from The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms?
CC: I unexpectedly wrote so many lessons throughout the book, but I honestly just want the readers to have an adventure. I want the book to be something that they can escape into and just be entertained for a little bit. Hopefully along the way, readers might take away some messages. Whatever messages they find are theirs to keep.

13. Colfer thinks other young writers who have ideas for stories shouldn’t hesitate to write them.

What piece of advice would you give to a young writer who doesn’t know how to get started?
CC: Just do it. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it doesn’t have to even be legible, just get it out of your system and then go back and perfect, perfect, perfect. But don’t be intimidated by other writers or other authors because if you have a story that you want to tell, then you deserve to write it.

14. And he has some advice for his younger self.

If you could go back in time and say something to your younger self, what would you say?
CC: Do something with your hair. Anything at all, just do something.

The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms is on sale now.

www.buzzfeed.com

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 7/15/2015, 12:00 am

Not sure if posted already but BOTH Amazon and Barne & Noble Online inventory of LOS had sold out.

bounce bounce bounce
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 7/15/2015, 3:30 am

http://colfhummel.tumblr.com/post/124135758626

Kidsday meets Chris Colfer Actor and author Chris Colfer met with Kidsday reporters Kendall Parker, Gionna Altebrando, Anjelia Altebrando and Tess Altebrando at Hachette Books in Manhattan on July 8, 2015
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/15/2015, 10:25 am

Is your family very supportive with what you have done?
x

I’m a Gemini, and I’ve always said that they’re kind of my Yang and Yin
x

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top