General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/13/2015, 12:24 pm

If I remember correctly, wasn't there an interview with Chris when he said he didn't want to do the 2011 tour, but was persuaded to do by the cast? So, the tour wasn't probably contractually obligated--it was an extra that they agreed too (probably because they were thrown a good chunk of money for doing it).

I'm sure that there is jealousy/resentment towards Chris from RIB, especially Ryan. I don't think the Chris/Ryan relationship was ever as good or completely recovered from the whole Graduationgate thing. Ryan blamed that pretty much entirely on Chris--when it was Ryan's big mouth the day before Emmy nominations that lead to the questions when Chris was doing his Emmy interviews. If Ryan hadn't said that Chris, Lea, and Cory would be graduating, Chris would haven't been asked how he heard about it. It was Ryan that lead to the questions, and also the media taking Chris saying he heard about it on Twitter that lead to the media saying "Glee stars said they found out they were being fired on twitter."

And I still think that Ryan knocked down Chris' asylum movie (since the producers have the right to approve projects for actors when they are under contract), and decided to make AHS about an asylum after Chris started talking about that movie. Chris mentioned the asylum movie at least four months before Ryan announced that AHS would be about an asylum. Maybe Ryan did have it up his sleeve before Chris started talking bout it--or maybe he did steal Chris' idea, but either way, I think Ryan told Chris he couldn't do the asylum move because of the similarities to AHS.

And it is true that Chris has had the most success outside of Glee. SBL did about as well as you'd expect a first time indie movie to do (especially considering how quickly it was done). The books have done really well and found an audience outside of Glee.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/13/2015, 12:29 pm

thank god chris has branched into writing. this is one side project one can do almost full time while doing glee. even when glee hour is 18 hours a day most of it is idle - waiting for the crew to set up lighting, in between shots, etc. so that's when he squeezed in all his time writing. A laptop is all he needs. No need to fly anywhere or even leave the set. he's achieved in writing most full time writers cannot - being a perpectual (so far) NYT best seller author! i am sure he is financially well secured even if he retires from tv/movie permanently, but we know that won't happen. Smile
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 4/13/2015, 3:36 pm

The writing has truly been a godsend for Chris, in that while Glee gave him the initial opportunity ( IIRC The Publishing company  at first wanted 21 year old Chris to write an autobiography) he took full advantage of his talents so at the minimum he will  have TEN books published (and counting) by 2017.   With a seeming movie/TV adaption of his series, he seems fairly financially set even without his acting, so Chris is in a very enviable position.

With "Struck by Lightning", in hindsight, Chris was savvy to take advantage and have it made when he did.  Glee was still a "hot" property and so he was able to push it being produced  per his vision.  However Chris  has said he would NEVER film one his own movies in those circumstances again; I think the schedule  was an insane 21 days.   One of the reasons "Asylum" is in the back burner is that Chris is on the record that he wants ample time to be involved in the production, no more rushed between gigs.  

Having said that, some of the cast and crew were able to have  film projects during Glee.  Matt, Jane and Lea worked movies around their Glee schedule.   Darren  I suspect in part  got the "How to Succeed" gig because his management finagled that concession when he was getting his regular contract negotiated and it was only 3 weeks out.  I'm far from a Ryan Murphy apologist, but even I don't attribute to him that  he didn't want them to have outside gigs, or sabotage that,  but because Glee was so time intensive, poorly planned and with the concert tours I think most offers/ projects just were simply not feasible for the cast.

However as Kevin said, it was too hard for most projects to accommodation the  actors insane Glee schedule.   I'm not saying that she was ever a bonafide contender ( we will never know) but the talk that Lea was auditioning for Eponine in the movie version of "Les Miz" was so laughable because no way, no how could she have fit the shooting schedule (in EUROPE!) with her Glee commitment.

Chris did have to turn down Broadway offers, that much we know.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/13/2015, 5:41 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:If I remember correctly, wasn't there an interview with Chris when he said he didn't want to do the 2011 tour, but was persuaded to do by the cast?  So, the tour wasn't probably contractually obligated--it was an extra that they agreed too (probably because they were thrown a good chunk of money for doing it). 
From what I heard they (RIB/Fox) put a lot of pressure on the Glee cast to do the live tours. And I guess if they got most of them to agree to do it then the others couldn't really say no anymore.
We know RIB were quite mad at Matt for not agreeing to go on tour with Glee but to schedule his own tour instead. Maybe that played a part in Mr. Shue getting sidelined in later seasons, if only because the tours showed how popular the kids were.

And then there's that nasty rumor that Lea didn't want to do the 2nd tour but Ryan told her that he would fire one of the other girls in the cast (possibly Amber) if Lea said no. How much truth there is to that is of course questionable, but that rumor has been around for a while.

Regardless if the tour was voluntary or not, the schedule was madness, with the cast driving and flying all over the country and even to Great Britain, doing as many shows in as many days those 6 weeks. Plus also doing meet & greets before the concerts.

I wonder how much they got paid for the tours, if that was a lot or not. I know Cory once said that the cast got basically no money from the iTunes sales of their songs, and in comparison to other casts on other shows the Glee cast didn't get paid much per episode either.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/13/2015, 11:45 pm

They were nobody then so they couldn't negotiate more. They were happy just to get hired. So they were slave labors.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 4/13/2015, 11:55 pm

fantastica wrote:They were nobody then so they couldn't negotiate more. They were happy just to get hired. So they were slave labors.

All things being equal, I think they all consider themselves lucky to have had Glee launch their careers.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/14/2015, 6:50 am

fantastica wrote:They were nobody then so they couldn't negotiate more. They were happy just to get hired. So they were slave labors.
Yup, and even more proof of that:

(---) Alex [Newell] was recently allowed out of a suffocating recording contract based on a technicality unsurfaced by his clever legal team, and now he’s taking the entertainment sector by storm as an indie. (---)
x
I take it that suffocating recording contract was Fox/Columbia, as all the (unknown) Glee actors got a recording contract when they signed for Glee.
But on top of being a 'nobody' Alex also started his Glee career as a candidate on the Glee Project. From what we know of those kind of talent tv contests the contracts the candidates have to sign to participate are very unfair to the artist while the studio gets complete control and most of the money.

Mark was punished in season 2 (suspended for a few episodes while his character went to juvie) because he made an independend album. Naya's, Amber's and Darren's albums never were finished during the time when Glee was still popular and when they could count on many fans buying their songs, and I suspect that's partly because as a lead Lea had to be the first to put an album out and Lea just didn't have the time to do it then. (It was obvious that RIB agreed to put multiple songs for Rachel, Blaine, Mercedes and Santana in Glee during season 3 because Fox/Columbia was focused on these 4 of the cast to make albums.)
Not to imply that the others' album were held back specifically for Lea, but it's clear that Columbia called the shots on where, when and how, and that might also have conflicted e.g. with what kind of songs the cast wanted to put out themselves.
Naya and Amber were released of their contracts and have been trying to get some songs out since (Amber's album might be released soon!), but as far as I know Darren's still is bound to Columbia though they have shelved any album plans for him.

-ETA-
Someone on the Glee forum of Previously.TV wrote that Kevin getting a big storyline for Artie at the exact moment he was filming 'Boy Choir' reminded them of Finchel: that Finn often wanted Rachel the most when she wasn't available to him.
Same goes for Klaine btw: Blaine only did some effort to notice Kurt when they were either broken up or when Kurt was busy with other things and/or (temporarily) was not buying Blaine's shit anymore.
RIB seemed to display the same behavior with their actors as what they wrote for Glee's relationships: they wanted the cast's loyalty and attention all the time, and when one of them was interested and/or occupied with something else for a while they started pouting and either forced them to give them (RIB) their full attention again, or they (RIB) gave them the cold shoulder by ignoring and/or 'punishing' them (typical Blaine behaviour right there).
That is an interesting and maybe insightful theory.  humhum

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing on 4/14/2015, 10:33 am

I don't think that anyone claimed that being on Glee wasn't a great start for the careers of a good number in the cast. Most of them (and I'm including Lea, Darren and Chris in the bunch even though they're the real heavy hitters) would never have gotten the mainstream opportunities that became available to them because of the high profile they received for being on Glee.

That doesn't change the fact that for the first few years, the demands made on the cast were far beyond what any television show might normally demand. The tour (especially the second one) was brutal and devoured what little free time the cast had to either work on their own projects or just to rest. They literally had to jump from working on Glee to rehearsing and then doing the tour and then had only a few days afterwards before they started production on Glee again.

Which makes Chris's accomplishments, in particular, even more remarkable. That by the age of 23, he had written and published four books, wrote, produced and starred in an independent film and wrote a tv pilot that he sold to Disney. To do that with the time crunch that he was constantly under is pretty amazing (and makes everyone else in the universe feel like such slackers). Glee might have helped Chris by opening the door to him having the opportunity to get published, but his popularity as an author and his sales are due to his talent and hard work.

Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 4/14/2015, 11:14 am

I don't think that anyone claimed that being on Glee wasn't a great start for the careers of a good number in the cast.

Nor did anyone say otherwise.     I simply pointed out my opinion that Glee was a huge career break, in the context of posts saying they were slaves.
Was Glee time consuming more than the ordinary? of course it was.  Nobody claimed otherwise for that either.

That doesn't change the fact that for the first few years, the demands made on the cast were far beyond what any television show might normally demand.

Again, nobody claimed that either.  In fact my post restated how tough it was for the cast.

It also doesn't change the fact that most likely IMO , The Glee cast are glad the show happened to them as of not, even with the extra work load.  Glad that has been clarified.

Moving ahead, I'm glad Glee gave Chris a chance to script an episode.   It's another feather in his growing writing career cap.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/14/2015, 11:39 pm

Glee has launched plenty of [url=#]careers[/url]. neutre

That is the best thing about it.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/16/2015, 2:19 pm

I'm just gonna leave this here because it made me laugh:

For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/18/2015, 12:06 am

Just released SAG Portrait
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/18/2015, 7:39 am

^Nice picture. I love the season 1 cast (with bb Chris): look at how happy they are. neutre

Now all we need is someone from the tumblr squad to photoshop the watermark away from Kevin's face.

And I take it that's Alec Baldwin (who also won a SAG that night) in front of the Glee cast?

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 4/18/2015, 3:33 pm

Lovely picture. Oh the old times Smile Wonder why Alec Baldwin is in front of everyone? Was he trying to be funny?

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt addict on 4/18/2015, 4:24 pm

unsure Alec looks huge compared with everyone else, even cory looks small in comparison! the cast look so tiny, its a bit strange i guess its somthing to do with focus and perception?

[center]
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/18/2015, 7:01 pm

^ it's perspective my dear. neutre
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt addict on 4/19/2015, 2:14 am

Thank you! My brain would'ent give up that word, but I knew it began with a p lol

[center]
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/20/2015, 4:05 am

“Like, Chris Colfer was like in high school— it’s just amazing to me— and now he’s a superstar.”
Jonathan Groff, ~26:36

“Just your fondest memories of working on that show. It was fast when you were on the set, like recording musical numbers and learning them and shooting them, was it. Like how long?”

"It felt like summer camp, cause it was like “you’re in the recording studio, now you’re in the sort of like ghetto like thing with the mirror where you did the dances, now you’re all dressed up and shooting it for like an audience!” Y'know it was like a lot of… it was very joyful. It was busy but it was very like summer camp joyful. For me, ‘cause I think, again, like came in, was like “what’s up,” I sang Bohemian Rhapsody, and then I got out of there.
But like for the kids that were there all the time it was a grind because they were doing 16-hour days Monday through Friday, inevitably they would work on Saturdays. And then for the first two years they put them on the road, on the tour, which was like insane. They had like two weeks off, then they’re shooting another 23 episodes back in the thick of it. So they, fortunately they were like young and excited so they were fine, but they really like… drove them into the ground. In a major way."
Jonathan Groff, ~26:50

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 4/20/2015, 9:28 am

I know that even the cast themselves said their schedule was insane, but all these comments on how gruelling and tough it really was, makes me shiver.

I Have no doubt that some of them were "blackmailed " into this schedule because they had no other choice. There was an actual possibility that RIB might just write their characters out.

valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/20/2015, 9:45 am

Considering that most of them had limited experience, they probably didn't have a choice, and didn't feel that they have any leverage to complain about the crazy schedule.  The showrunners/networks have the power in the contracts.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were a bit strong-armed into doing the tour (especially the longer second one).  "If you won't go on the tour, then we will let you out of your contract and find an actor willing to do it."

I have sometimes wondered if Chris has talked to someone like Todd Milliner about the crazy hours and demands on Glee, and found out that isn't normal for a TV set.  Granted, Glee was different than most shows since they had to record songs and learn choreography (well, at least at the time it started since there are now more musical shows on the air), but you would think that with the huge cast they could have had more reasonable schedules (but then again, a lot of the time they spent on set, especially for the secondary characters, they were probably just sitting around in the choir room while others were being filmed.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/20/2015, 10:40 am

Jellyrolls wrote:I have sometimes wondered if Chris has talked to someone like Todd Milliner about the crazy hours and demands on Glee, and found out that isn't normal for a TV set.
I think Chris already found out how crazy the Glee hours were when he was talking with the other actors at the Emmy Roundtable in 2010, and they all reacted very surprised when he told them that each Glee episode only takes 8 days to film.

But yeah, I think the Glee cast all know how they were exploided. And they probably already knew around season 2, when they got in the award shows world and Glee had guest stars (like NPH) who commented on how many hours "these kids" worked.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/20/2015, 8:32 pm

I always suspected Chris was not really that accident prone, he was probably so exhausted like the rest and why he got injured a lot.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/21/2015, 3:58 am

I have been listening to this non-stop. neutre

ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/21/2015, 4:13 am

Amber just recorded a song with Boyz II Men today. neutre 

I have a feeling a lot of thought and effort has gone into this album and is going to be good.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 4/22/2015, 9:49 pm

http://www.broadwayworld.com/pittsburgh/article/GLEEs-Jenna-Ushkowitz-to-Lead-Pittsburgh-CLOs-THE-WEDDING-SINGER-2015-Summer-Season-Casts-Set-20150422

Pittsburgh CLO’s 2015 Summer Season will be highlighted by stand-out performances from Broadway’s best and distinguished stars of film and television, including Jenna Ushkowitz from Fox’s hit series “Glee” and the dynamic duo of Kim Zimmer and Robert Newman from “Guiding Light.”
THE WEDDING SINGER, July 24 - August 2
Jenna Ushkowitz is making her Pittsburgh CLO debut as Julia, the role first made famous by Drew Barrymore in the film “The Wedding Singer.” Ms. Ushkowitz began her career at a very young age on the set of “Sesame Street.” She went on to appear in episodes of “Reading Rainbow,” “As the World Turns,” and many other television series before making her Broadway debut in The King and I in 1996. Ms. Ushkowitz returned to Broadway in Spring Awakening in 2008 alongside future co-star Lea Michele before they both rocketed to fame as cast members in the hit Fox television show “Glee.”
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top