Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1

+22
Catt24
kac
Coolbeans3131
emilynna
M&M
Vir Cotto
arina
ColferInspired
sahhar
dap1217
Delight
brisallie
CloveGlee
mellama
ColferGirl
Struck by Lightning
Ireth
tanita_mors
fantastica
Glorfindel
Shinra17
Jellyrolls
26 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1

Post  Guest 2/20/2012, 1:18 am

fantastica wrote:^ you are in chris' colfer's second movie.

HOT DAMN!! I knew I was meant to be a STAR - just like Blarren!!

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 1:20 am

^ well you are playing the Hideous Girl. you only have 2 scenes. one is above, and the second is when you get hit by a bus.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1 - Page 2 Empty snark and barf

Post  Guest 2/20/2012, 1:24 am

A Bus? What kind of bus? Oh - a double decker, please! A red one to match the dress I'll be wearing. Oh - and I need a blond wig, because blonds have more fun! I get to go out with angst - just like KURT. Oh please let me shed a few tears before the final crunch! I can cry pretty, too!

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 1:49 am

^ I believe it's a double decker - bacon on top, turkey on the bottom.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/20/2012, 11:34 am

fantastica wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:I agree with both of you. Blaine is bi, no doubt. Rolling Eyes
To me it looks like Blaine is straight but turned bi for Kurt. Smile

I can't believe everybody is hanging out in this thread. so evil you people! Twisted Evil
It's actually the raison d'être of this place Smile . About your first phrase: exactly! Blaine is darren and turns bi when he has lines of dialogue with Kurt.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 2/20/2012, 12:00 pm

Blaine is totally Darren, especially when he is performing. He has virtually no acting range other then love struck puppy and his hidioudious angst faces. And to think this guy has an acting degree. Also, I have been reading about his Broadway stint and besides the fact that his voice is completely inferior for that kind of venue (no vibrato and no projection, all he has is his nice tumber and that doesn't go a long way when the audience isn't suppose to sing along but listen to you) his portrayal of Finch was unbelievably Blaine-like especially compered to DR. DR's was a manipulator who was in completely control of the situation. Criss's was a guy that just happened to be at the right place at the right time and things just go his way. No planing, no effort. Does that sound familiar ?

Blaine should have been bi. I said that before. That way when Kurt leaves or dumps him for a better actor they can have their heartthrob have a different girlfriend every episode to please all his fandoms. This way his terrible acting and no-existent storylines are dragging Kurt down.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/20/2012, 12:08 pm

Ivana, in regards to Darren having an acting degree, I really think watching Ben is a great example of the difference between someone who has learned acting as opposed to someone who can just do it naturally. Darren's reactions are kind of stiff, and awkward, while Lea, Chris, and Cory are more natural.

I'm fully expecting them to retcon Blaine as bi or "just going through a phase" after he breaks up with Klaine. I mean he only kissed Rachel a couple of times. Why can't Rachel be the wrong girl for him and have him all of the sudden find a girl he likes?
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/20/2012, 12:15 pm

Unfortunately, I continue seeing reviews and reviewers that are completely gaga in front of darren's performance as blarren, and some of them ( Arrow afterelton) used to be quite discerning in their reviews about Chris's acting. I feel like i'm really missing sth here.
About H2$, I came across an interview of him on ontd, the journalist asked him about the difference between his portrayal of Finch and RD's one and he answered they have different colors for the bowtie. Of course, it was a joke but actually, he didn't say anything else on the subject. It tells so much for me about his concern for the character.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 2/20/2012, 12:25 pm

You know what, interestingly, rarely anyone ever complements Darren on his acting. It either his performing, singing, looking pretty or just over all presence. Acting as such is rarely mentioned, and even his Broadway thing it was the dancing that impressed everyone. His acting was given a pass, but given his overacting and showboating, he is definitely more suited for the stage then for the small or big screen. His facial expressions are off the charts in just how much he overacts.

The whole thing with Blaine is that he was presented as older, wiser and even his speech had this specific enunciation and pattern that gave away the fact that he was older and from a rich and privileged family. Now, not only is he younger but Darren is trying to portray him younger and infantile in certain aspects of his character. The whole thing just comes out weird and completely sub-par compered to Chris's masterful performance. It's like Darren has no head canon for his character that is fixed at all time, but very thing is changeable. He literary has no firm base and that is as much a fault of the actor as it is of the writer.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 3:57 pm

don't forget Jenna also has an acting degree. Neither Cory (who just formally graduated high school last year. Razz ), Lea or Chris has one. I am not saying people w acting degrees are generally bad actors, because a few people cannot represent the whole industry. Schools usually teach methods and theories. It's not necessarily the most efficient way to learn a trade. chris said he never took acting lessons, but he studied by watching good actors act. He has a very good ability to imitate, which is the first step in learning. He also apparently is a natrual at acting - he said he learned to shed tears to manipulate his parents when he was young. I think his passion for acting plus natural talent plus self-learning plus years of practices on stage and now on screen contributed to his acting abilities. Didn't Darren say he spent a lot of his college years partying? I can totally see that!

Last edited by fantastica on 2/20/2012, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/20/2012, 8:27 pm

A lot of small acting schools (and other small art schools) need students to survive, so they easily accept people and do their best to keep them even if the students have zero talent. And you're right Kim, natural pleasure to mimic people but also to analyze the people you mimic is essential in acting.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 1 - Page 2 Empty acting

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 8:44 pm

^ true! after all, acting is about being somoene you are not. when you mimic other people, learn from their speech pattern and manerism, you are learning to be a different person. otherwise you end up like Darren, who is always playing himself in some capacity. Interestingly, I read that many DC fans desperately want his curls back. they want Blaine to dress like Darren because they don't like Blaine's styles. basically they love darren and they are not interested in him playing any roles that deprive them of his cuteness and charm, they just want Darren to be Darren. Unfortunately it would severely limit his range as an actor (not sure if he has any range but it's still too early to tell). Imagine if you let him play a disturbed prison inmate, w/ no singing or dancing of any kind, where he has to show a range of emotions, being bullied and assaulted by his cell mates, fighting for his chance to get out, being abandomed by his family, hopelss w/ news of failed appeals.... I can see chris in such a roll but not darren. I simply won't be able to tolerate his crinkled face when he attempts to show complex emotions.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/20/2012, 9:04 pm

I'm not sure his fans are really interested in acting art and anyway, if they are, they obviously don't know a lot about it. It may be too early to say that DC will suck forever in acting but it's not too early to see that his approach of acting and embodiement of a new character is completely wrong. Like other art field, acting requires certain human quality that can't be acquired through work, I won't get my hopes high for his future as a recognized actor.
If I have time and if people here are interested, I can make a thread about acting, to explicit more what I've just said, but well, even in french, there're things that are not easy to explain with words and people need to feel it through themselves.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 9:15 pm

^ no need to. we talk about acting all the time, even when discussion spoilers. It's hard to stay always on topic because some of us "chat" too much. switching to different posts will interrupt the existing conversation. some of the comments may have to belong to this "snark" thread anyway.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/20/2012, 9:19 pm

fantastica wrote:^ true! after all, acting is about being somoene you are not. when you mimic other people, learn from their speech pattern and manerism, you are learning to be a different person. otherwise you end up like Darren, who is always playing himself in some capacity. Interestingly, I read that many DC fans desperately want his curls back. they want Blaine to dress like Darren because they don't like Blaine's styles. basically they love darren and they are not interested in him playing any roles that deprive them of his cuteness and charm, they just want Darren to be Darren. Unfortunately it would severely limit his range as an actor (not sure if he has any range but it's still too early to tell). Imagine if you let him play a disturbed prison inmate, w/ no singing or dancing of any kind, where he has to show a range of emotions, being bullied and assaulted by his cell mates, fighting for his chance to get out, being abandomed by his family, hopelss w/ news of failed appeals.... I can see chris in such a roll but not darren. I simply won't be able to tolerate his crinkled face when he attempts to show complex emotions.

I want Blaine to dress like Darren too because Blaine dressing like Blaine does now is not what I'd expect Blaine to dress like. Did I really just use the name Blaine four times in one sentence?

Seriously though, Darren definitely doesn't have a much range. Or, if we give him the benefit of the doubt, he hasn't been given the opportunity to show us his range. And I think his lack of range shows more because the majority of his scenes are opposite one of the strongest actors on the show.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 10:15 pm

to be fair. acting is a skill that's learned, not born with. anybody will have hte potential to improve. All the HP kids are horrible when they were young, but got better as time goes on. DC will get better too, especially if he gets good material to practice with.

The thing is, pretty much all actors are typecasted in one type of role or another. Truly versatile actors are rare, and they tend to be character actors. They are not the rom-com type or particularly good looking, but have good acting skills to morph into whatever character they inhibit.

if Chris doesn't write his own movies he will likely be typecasted to play gay and/or victims forever. There's something about this boy - his "sadness" in his face even when he's not showing any emotions as his normal self, makes him a natural to play a victim's role, or a dramatic role that gets a lot of unhapiness in life. I am saying this as if i were a casting director. even chris seems to realize that and wrote it in SBL. I hope his next movie is very different.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/20/2012, 10:28 pm

Kim, are you going soft on us? aa54
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 10:30 pm

what does that mean??? blinkk

sometimes i am very slow.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/20/2012, 10:42 pm

It's another way of asking you if you are turning into a Blaine lover on us. aa54
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 10:50 pm

no I am just sort of bipolar.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/20/2012, 11:02 pm

fantastica wrote:to be fair. acting is a skill that's learned, not born with. anybody will have hte potential to improve. All the HP kids are horrible when they were young, but got better as time goes on. DC will get better too, especially if he gets good material to practice with.

The thing is, pretty much all actors are typecasted in one type of role or another. Truly versatile actors are rare, and they tend to be character actors. They are not the rom-com type or particularly good looking, but have good acting skills to morph into whatever character they inhibit.

if Chris doesn't write his own movies he will likely be typecasted to play gay and/or victims forever. There's something about this boy - his "sadness" in his face even when he's not showing any emotions as his normal self, makes him a natural to play a victim's role, or a dramatic role that gets a lot of unhapiness in life. I am saying this as if i were a casting director. even chris seems to realize that and wrote it in SBL. I hope his next movie is very different.
Hum... I wouldn't say that. I think acting also may be seen at different level, the fact that you're using "skill" for instance is telling to me. I don't know if people realize the psychological process you have to go through in order to really incarnate a character is something very particuliar and personally, I think that not everybody can do it (or even can understand it at the concept level). Of course, i'm talking about good actors.
I'll take an exemple: think about the scene in Theatricality, in the basement between Finn and kurt. At one moment, Finn used the word faggy and Kurt had a startle reflex of his whole body, like he was electrified. This kind of reaction is released by the nervous system, basically it's a physiological reaction (like the red eyes when you're about to cry = massive arrival of blood in the ocular zone), it can't be decided by will. The only way to induce it is to fool your body, because of course, as an actor, you know the script, you know that Finn is going to say faggy.
That's where it's really hard to explain, especially in english lol. In french, we say "lâcher prise" and the traduction i have find in online dictionary is "let go". It means you have to detach yourself of your own mind (think about observing your thoughts, the entity that is observing and analyzing your thoughts is kind of your inner yourself). Your mind must not be aware that Finn is going to say faggy (otherwise, your body won't be fooled) but you have to be present as well, to continue to play your part and control the character. Just this little process is generally a hell to comprehend by actor students in school.
Beside that, there is all the knowlegde about human psychology and profile, that rely on ability to observe and notice. Not everyone is naturally a good psychologist or a subbtle observer. You can improve your ability to mimic people, not the natural pleasure you get to do it.
All the technical aspects are easy to improve (voice, elocution, control of your body through specific exercices, etc..). All the part related to management of your emotions and the "quality" of these emotions can't really be worked, it comes with maturity, experience in the RL. You can't play an emotion you have never experienced in RL and you can't play it neither if it is still hurtful to you (That's where Chris is truly amazing btw). And the emotions you experience in RL depend on your sensitivity and we're not all equal on this point. Ok, I think I can go on and on, but basically, I disagree lol.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/20/2012, 11:13 pm

I see what you mean. When I say a "skill" I mean something you acquire through learning (consiciously or not), rather than something that's born with. Chris is a natural at mimicing people, but more he did learn through the ages the art of acting - how to use the facial expressions plus hte body language, how to deliver lines effectively. He certainly understand what's "method acting", so he's not that different from other trained actors when it comes to approaches to acting.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/21/2012, 10:10 am

And yeah, to finish what I was saying and to link it to the reason why we began to talk about it, when I see that DC doesn't do something as basic as supressing his womanizer side in a gay role, I seriously doubt he ever considered getting into the character or even thought about Blaine as a character and realized that he needs to forget himself. I don't see how he can improve in this situation.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 2/21/2012, 2:09 pm

I guess that's one "flaw" they've decided Blaine can have. And it's here to stay. dryy
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 2/21/2012, 3:27 pm

Ireth wrote:I guess that's one "flaw" they've decided Blaine can have. And it's here to stay. dryy
being darren? moque
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next