Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Page 6 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Post  Glorfindel on 5/14/2014, 7:47 pm

More articles spreading the news:

‘Glee’ Star Chris Colfer to Star in Noel Coward Biopic

May 14, 2014 | Posted By Layla Hedges 

“Glee” star Chris Colfer has been attached to the lead role in tentatively titled biopic “Noel”. The film is set to portray the early life of playwright Noel Coward, known for his wit and flamboyance, having written works including “Private Lives” and “Blithe Spirit”.

Written by Martin Sherman (“Mrs. Henderson Presents”), the project is already attracting sales attention ahead of Cannes, with Joe Stephenson (“Chicken”) set to direct. An impressive cast of Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce are also in talks to join the production. Filming is currently scheduled for late summer.

Colfer is best known for his role as Kurt Hummel on Fox’s “Glee.” In 2012, he wrote and starred in the comedy “Struck by Lightning” with Rebel Wilson. A lead role as a celebrated literary figure – regarded also as a gay icon by many, will likely be a major step in Colfer’s career.
Upandcomers.net

Glee's Chris Colfer Starring in Upcoming Noel Coward Biopic
A film based on the life of the witty playwright is scheduled to begin shooting later this summer.
BY Patrick Yacco
May 14 2014 5:42 PM ET

Glee star and out actor Chris Colfer will star as gay writer Noël Coward in an upcoming film, reports Screen Daily. The movie is scripted by Martin Sherman, who also penned the gay Holocaust drama Bent. Ian McKellen, who worked with Sherman on the original British production of Bent, is in negotiations to join the cast. The film is scheduled to begin production later this summer.

Early Wednesday morning Colfer posted a photo of Coward to his Instagram account.

Born in 1899, Coward became famous for his sharp wit and humor in plays such as Design for Living and Blithe Spirit. Several plays have been adapted for film, and they continue to be revived today. Recently, a revival of Blithe Spirit nabbed Angela Lansbury a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress, while Sex and the City's Kim Cattrall headlined a production of Private Lives.

While Coward believed that his private life should be kept out of the limelight, his sexuality was never hidden, and he famously quipped that "there are still a few old ladies in Worthing who don’t know." Coward maintained a relationship with actor Graham Payn for decades until the writer's death in 1973.
advocate.com

Chris Colfer to play Noel Coward in biopic

Janet R. Blakey May 14, 2014 Movie News 0 Comment

Attention all Gleeks, Chris Colfer fans, Noel Coward fans!  The announcement was made today that Chris Colfer has been cast to play the lead in a upcoming biopic about the life of Noel Coward.  According to ScreenDaily, the film with the current working title of “Noel” will be scripted by writer Martin Sherman.  Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce are also in discussions to be cast in the film which will follow the British playwright’s early life influences.  It is set to begin filming late in the summer in the UK.

Earlier today, Colfer posted the following picture on his Instagram account simply stating: #Noel.

Can’t wait to see what this beloved actor/writer does with the role?  Excited to see his acting chops stretch beyond the Glee universe?  Let’s discuss in the comments below!
moviefreakout

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/14/2014, 9:13 pm

^ thank you dear. i hope you can rest your wrists now.  Smile 
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Catt24 on 5/14/2014, 9:32 pm

Late to the party, but OH MY GOD, this is so exciting. What incredible opportunity for Chris, and the very possibility that he will be working with Sir Ian McKellen  neutre  Smile 

Have nothing but proud Mama feels!!!!

bounce rooots hola

Catt24
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing on 5/14/2014, 9:34 pm

The tumblr monkeys are very quick with the beautiful manips to celebrate this wonderful news.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/14/2014, 9:42 pm

^ he's not gonna sport that hair you know.  Smile 
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/14/2014, 10:43 pm

fantastica wrote:^ he's not gonna sport that hair you know.  Smile 

What about this?

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth on 5/14/2014, 10:53 pm

I'm thinking something more like this:

bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/14/2014, 11:41 pm

^ that's the one i was talking about.  Smile

chris will look even better now. he's a fully grown man. as soon as the movie started shooting, we will definitely see a pic of him in costume. maybe even a promo pic on twitter or something released officially.

Last edited by fantastica on 5/14/2014, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 on 5/14/2014, 11:43 pm

I know chris is going to be great as Noel

Both Chris C & Max A are great actors. Hope they work together again someday.

Huge fan of the talented,  kind  sweet, wonderful  Chris  Colfer

Really enjoyed Old Dog New Tricks. The Best Glee episode in a long time.
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/14/2014, 11:45 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

(Brian was the director of 'Struck by Lightning')

brian still sports his non-cat name!  Razz  btw, who is in brian's avatar? looks like chris but that's kinda weird, unless this particular twitter name is reserved forever to chris colfer fans.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth on 5/14/2014, 11:58 pm

fantastica wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:

brian still sports his non-cat name!  Razz  btw, who is in brian's avatar? looks like chris but that's kinda weird, unless this particular twitter name is reserved forever to chris colfer fans.

Yep. It's Chris and Brian!
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/15/2014, 4:16 am

^Wow, I hadn't seen that. 
I just looked, and his twitter background is a pic of 'Struck By Lightning' (Carson in his pencil costume).

Brian (not the cat) must really like Chris and their joint achievement of SBL.  hapitgh 

And now Chris gets the chance to win the hearts of his new director and all his co-stars in 'Noel' as well.  suspectt

-ETA
I clicked on Brian (not the cat)'s background picture and then I saw this:

"Terrific Performances" - Mark Adams, Screen Daily
The (exclusive) news of 'Noel' came first from ScreenDaily.com.  neutre

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 5/15/2014, 8:36 am

The Knowledge News
Chris Colfer to play Noel Coward in biopic

Flamboyant playwright, producer, raconteur, director, actor, bon viveur and general wit Noel Coward is to be the subject of a new biopic from director producer/director Joe Stephenson and writer Martin Sherman.
Glee star Colfer will step into Coward’s considerably shiny brogues, with A-listers Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce also currently in talks to board the film.
 We spoke to Stephenson who told us that Sherman’s screenplay for Noel (working title) will concentrate on the playwright’s life between the ages of 15 and 24. Stephenson has been developing the project for some time, and is joined on the film by fellow producer Julia Valentine. A late summer shoot in and around London is currently on the cards.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 5/15/2014, 8:51 am

I am so late to the party that I feel deservedly chastened.  blushh 

So, first things first-- allow me to squee for a moment
 hola  panik  panik  bounce  bounce 

Thank you sheny, ColferInspired and Glorfindel, for posting all these lovely articles about Chris's latest movie project.  

I won't even pretend to know who Noel Coward is, but I do recognize some of the other big names attached to this biopic movie, and I am beyond impressed that Chris managed to snag the lead role. Just imagining that Chris would be able to act opposite some of those amazing actors makes me so very, very happy that he got this opportunity.

Indeed, some of Chris's achievements echo that of Noel (actor, writer, singer etc), and I think that would make the movie resonate more, having Chris star in the role. It is also obvious that Chris is playing a real-life gay character; but I won't worry about Chris being pigeon-holed in his movie roles for now, and would just concentrate on celebrating and basking in this cloud of happiness for now.

Sigh.. I can feel all my G-related frustrations just melt away...  Smile
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 5/15/2014, 9:03 am

I still really excited about this.

My mum loved Noel Coward.

It is a shame she is not alive to see this movie or to have known about Chris, as I know she would have been a true fan.  neutre
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 on 5/15/2014, 9:07 am

I am very excited about this. I know Chris is going to be great. panik hola wub rooots 

Both Chris C & Max A are great actors. Hope they work together again someday.

Huge fan of the talented,  kind  sweet, wonderful  Chris  Colfer

Really enjoyed Old Dog New Tricks. The Best Glee episode in a long time.
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth on 5/15/2014, 9:26 am

fantastica wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:

Yeah, his name is still Not Brian The Cat.  Smile  He is really sweet.  wub 
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 5/15/2014, 11:34 am

The last article is the first one that states a comment from the director...I guess the guy will become the new thing to follow. Seems like a pretty young guy based on his profile picture? And only his second feature film?
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  angelnessa on 5/15/2014, 1:17 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:The last article is the first one that states a comment from the director...I guess the guy will become the new thing to follow. Seems like a pretty young guy based on his profile picture? And only his second feature film?

I read he graduated from film school at 17, and his first film is getting some good buzz. I believe this will be an amazing experience for Chris in both acting and film making - working with an up-and-coming young film maker and getting to work with the highly respected veteran actors they are hoping to lock in. He's got to be just thrilled for the opportunity.
angelnessa
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/15/2014, 5:29 pm

From that last article:
We spoke to Stephenson who told us that Sherman’s screenplay for Noel (working title) will concentrate on the playwright’s life between the ages of 15 and 24.
I looked on Wiki, and I copied several parts that cover those years (I took out the descriptions of the plays he was in or wrote).
Just in case people want to stay unspoiled I'll put it behind spoiler bars:

Spoiler:
- In 1913, when Coward was 14, he became the protégé and probably the lover of Philip Streatfeild, a society painter. Streatfeild introduced him to Mrs Astley Cooper and her high society friends. Streatfeild died from tuberculosis in 1915, but Mrs Astley Cooper continued to encourage her late friend's protégé, who remained a frequent guest at her estate, Hambleton Hall.

- Coward continued to perform during most of the First World War.

- In 1918, Coward was conscripted into the Artists Rifles but was assessed as unfit for active service because of a tubercular tendency, and he was discharged on health grounds after nine months. That year he appeared in the D W Griffith film Hearts of the World in an uncredited role. He sold short stories to several magazines to help his family financially.

- He also began writing plays, collaborating on the first two (Ida Collaborates (1917) and Women and Whisky (1918)) with his friend Esmé Wynne. His first solo effort as a playwright was The Rat Trap (1918) which was eventually produced at the Everyman Theatre, Hampstead, in October 1926. During these years, he met Lorn McNaughtan, who became his private secretary and served in that capacity for more than forty years, until her death.

- In 1920, at the age of 20, Coward starred in his own play, the light comedy I'll Leave It to You.

Coward in The Knight of the Burning Pestle, 1920

- In 1921, Coward made his first trip to America, hoping to interest producers there in his plays. Although he had little luck, he found the Broadway theatre stimulating. He absorbed its smartness and pace into his own work, which brought him his first real success as a playwright with The Young Idea The play ran in London from 1 February to 24 March 1923, after which Coward turned to revue, co-writing and performing in André Charlot's London Calling!

Coward with Lilian Braithwaite, his co-star in The Vortex and mother of his close friend Joyce Carey

- In 1924, Coward achieved his first great critical and financial success as a playwright with The Vortex. (---) The Vortex was considered shocking in its day for its depiction of sexual vanity and drug abuse among the upper classes. Its notoriety and fiery performances attracted large audiences, justifying a move from a small suburban theatre to a larger one in the West End.
Coward, still having trouble finding producers, raised the money to produce the play himself.

- During the run of The Vortex, Coward met Jack Wilson, an American stockbroker (later a director and producer), who became his business manager and lover. Wilson used his position to steal from Coward, but the playwright was in love and accepted both the larceny and Wilson's heavy drinking.

- The success of The Vortex in both London and America caused a great demand for new Coward plays.
Full article here: Wikipedia.

Even those 10 years that the movie will cover sound so very interesting. To imagine that he already accomplished so much at such a young age! And we thought Chris was so young when he wrote, produced and starred in SBL.  ohmy

Oh, I'm so looking forward to this movie, and I'm sure Chris is thrilled being able to sink his teeth in such a challenging role.  neutre
No wonder they went looking for a young looking actor with the acting chops to pull all of this off. The ability of Chris to still look 14 at times (and then a smoking hot young man at other times) turned out to be a blessing in disguise after all.  Razz 
And really: Chris is absolutely perfect for this.  wub

Last edited by Glorfindel on 5/15/2014, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/15/2014, 5:45 pm

I tweeted BGood Pictures & director Joe Stephenson (screen name Joe Alexander) today, asking if Chris’s singing would be featured in Noel and, fwiw, Joe Stephenson favourited my tweet Smile

panik

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/15/2014, 8:08 pm

I will DIE if Chris sings Noel Coward songs on screen or even on the movie soundtrack.

Gimme!!!!!!!!!

Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/15/2014, 8:25 pm

^ that's pretty much a given, so DIE! phr34r  Razz 
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/15/2014, 8:33 pm

fantastica wrote:^ that's pretty much a given, so DIE! phr34r  Razz 

Razz Razz Razz 
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing on 5/15/2014, 9:53 pm

Do you all realize that in just a few short months Tumblr will be absolutely overflowing with pictures of Chris in his period costumes?

I may not survive until the film is released.  ded I mean, stuff like this:

This will kill me. And I will die a very happy, pervy woman.

Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 33  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top