Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread

+21
fantastica
coxfire
YaoiChick
ChrisColfersLightning
Ireth
Delight
valkeakuulas
Lottie2303
Divalicious
Georgette888
bayth
opals
Buenos
TimF
ChrisColferFan1
Jellyrolls
ColferInspired
Glorfindel
brisallie
Ranwing
tanita_mors
25 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_lcap82%5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 82% 
[ 14 ]
5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_lcap12%5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_lcap6%5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ChrisColferFan1 5/6/2014, 10:28 pm

opals wrote:Damn you, Chris. I cried so many times during that episode. Memory, when Kurt went to talk to Maggie's daughter, when he told Maggie that they could be each other's family all had me in tears. Hell, I even cried when Sam gave away the dog at the end.

Agree 100%. A heartwarming episode.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: 5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ChrisColferFan1 5/6/2014, 10:29 pm

Buenos wrote:Just a hunch but I suspect this isn't the łast Chris Colfer penned Glee episode.

I hope he does write an other episode.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 5/6/2014, 10:29 pm

This episode had me grinning from ear to ear the entire 60 minutes. THAT is how you write an episode of Glee, RIB. What a great send off for the series for me.

Thank you Chris, for writing an episode with heart, wit, charm and elderly hijinks. It had perfect balance between all the acts and had great flow throughout. You have many great talents. The talent of writer is high on the scale.
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 5/6/2014, 10:32 pm

Loved it. It was funny, warm, had actual continuity and characterisation that made sense for all of them. So happy.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  TimF 5/6/2014, 10:41 pm

The episode was all I hoped it would be: in short, brilliant. It had moments that evoked both laughter and sadness.  Kurt got to speak and be heard for a change. Sam gained at least enough iq points to be able compete a dog obstacle course, and I even found him endearing. Mercedes wasn't reduced to park and bark black stereotype, she got to speak and have relevant lines. I thoroughly enjoyed it all and will be buying it on iTunes tomorrow morning.    hola  Laughing  crycry  Laughing  hola
TimF
TimF
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/6/2014, 10:42 pm

As I sit here reading about the episode (it won't be on for another hour plus here) I am haunted by a long forgotten emotion, at least regarding Glee, anticipation.

A Kurt episode written by Chris, remembering the past, and undumbing Sam. Remarkable.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  TimF 5/6/2014, 10:44 pm

Divalicious wrote:As I sit here reading about the episode (it won't be on for another hour plus here) I am haunted by a long forgotten emotion, at least regarding Glee, anticipation.

A Kurt episode written by Chris, remembering the past, and undumbing Sam.  Remarkable.
It was great, you will enjoy it.  fanny2
TimF
TimF
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/6/2014, 10:44 pm

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kcnbr861qe476yo3_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kcnbr861qe476yo4_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kcnbr861qe476yo5_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kcnbr861qe476yo6_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kcnbr861qe476yo9_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo1_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo2_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo3_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo4_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo5_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo6_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo7_1280

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56kfnWpC51qe476yo9_1280
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/6/2014, 10:50 pm

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56h9q7UyU1qe476yo1_500

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56j805g2E1qe476yo1_500
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 5/6/2014, 11:17 pm

I hope this episode gets at least the highest ratings of the season.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/7/2014, 1:36 am

Finished the episode and it was great.  I think this was the first episode this year that I didn't watch with the ability to fast forward and I didn't feel like I was having teeth removed without the benefit of novocaine.  

Chris should indeed write all the episodes.  He should also pick the music.  While it is hard to keep Rachel from being a caricature, Sam and Mercedes felt more real to me as a couple than they ever have.  They were having adult conversations that real couples would have early in their relationship.  Getting a pet etc.  Household chores.  It was lovely.

Kurt being the joyful performer, and perennial caretaker.  His gorgeous voice being used to such perfection.  Honorable mention to Sam, his voice really shone in the songs.  

The puppies were all so very cute.  I love my cats, but sometimes I do long for a dog, but I have so many critters already.  I tell you McConnaughy would so have come with me, well,  after Sam trained him.

I wish Billy Dee and Tim had a little more to do, but it was still respectful and sweet.  Chris really loves and honors those who have paved the way, and it shows.  

It was also really nice to have our belting divas restrain their voices and share the song instead of dominate the other voices.  I actually bought that song, along with the Chris ones.

I remember this Glee, performances were fun, songs were part of the storytelling, while not everyone got even time in the spotlight they weren't forgotten either.  The concept of balance is rare in the same sentence with Glee.  I can't wait to read the reviews.  I don't think my Kurtsie eyes are blinding me, and really think this was an episode that harkens back before Glee became about the winners all the time.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/7/2014, 2:26 am

Am I gonna get killed, when I say I liked it, but I was not blown away??!  phr34r phr34r phr34r 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/7/2014, 2:42 am

Lottie2303 wrote:Am I gonna get killed, when I say I liked it, but I was not blown away??!  phr34r phr34r phr34r 

It wasn't perfect but within the constraints Chris had to work with he did use comedy and some good moments.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 3:10 am

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56mzgAaoV1qe476yo1_500
aplotkin716: Proud of my CC!! # Glee
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 3:29 am

Watch @GLEEonFOX tonight if u Love @chriscolfer …. he is actually my long lost Son
— iqbal theba (@iqbaltheba)
May 6, 2014

Can’t wait to see your episode tonight @chriscolfer. #OldDogNewTricks #timconway #billyDwilliams
— Chord Overstreet (@chordoverstreet)
May 6, 2014
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:07 am

I will be watching this episode soon.

And cannot wait.  Smile 

Such wonderful comments from others outside of this forum.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:20 am

First review.
Glee Review-Recap Season 5 Episode 19 ‘Old Dog, New Tricks’: Good boy!

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Glee_5x19_3
I’ll give first-time Glee screenwriter Chris Colfer this: His Old Dog, New Tricks was one of the show’s sweetest episodes ever. From lost dogs to forgotten oldsters, it had heart.
But it was also a mixed bag.
The glitches lay in reconciling the avarice and inattention of Kurt’s too-busy friends — notably Rachel and Santana — with the feel-good yarn about reconciling with lost loved ones, cherishing the aged and protecting helpless animals.
Clearly, Rachel’s face-saving animal-rights charity, Broadway Bitches (love that name!), was all about her, and merely exploited pitiful pooches, as partly driven by Santana’s manipulative free-lance publicity job for the cause. But in the happy end we were somehow expected to see its value anyway, while overlooking the hollowness, and I couldn’t.

Though I appreciated the doggy tale’s grounding in Mercedes’ wise counsel to an eager Sam that he wasn’t ready to be a doggy dad, and though I cherished the episode’s many warm moments, that ending felt tied up in a too-neat bow. If Rachel had had a change of heart toward homeless dogs, she didn’t truly show it (the irony being that Lea Michele is an animal rights activist).
Too, a daughter who was bitterly estranged for many years wouldn’t go visit her aging mama at a retired performers rest home while bearing flowers, just because Kurt argued that she should. But it was still a nice moment. Call it a wish-fulfilling fantasy, but it did serve the hopeful sentiments Colfer offered.
And gives the guy props for a spectacular and gutsy performance in a wired harness as Peter Pan, when Kurt winds up starring in the rest home’s shaky production and enlivening the quietly desperate lives of its denizens. Adding Madonna’s Lucky Star also was an apt reinvention for the creaky show, which will be NBC’s second live Broadway-style telecast late this year. (Clay Aiken as Pan? He’s too busy in politics.)
The other songs were even better — and I’m hoping Colfer had a hand in choosing them, since they played such a big part in his story and felt so right.
Eddie Money’s Take Me Home Tonight perfectly suited the adopt-a-dog event it scored — and for any who wonder about “Ronnie” in the lyrics, that’s Ronnie Spector, lead singer of  early-’60s girl group the Ronettes, whose Be My Baby was produced by her then-husband, Phil, now disgraced by shooting a woman to death. (How’s that for a jam-packed little show-biz lesson?)
Then we had a song by the thinking man’s rock star, Warren Zevon, with the bouncy and howling Werewolves of London, from his breakout 1978 solo album Excitable Boy. (Before that he wrote the Turtles’ Outside Chance.) And Modern English’s I Melt With You is one of the most buoyant songs of the early ’80s, and once scored a richly romantic montage in Nic Cage’s Valley Girl.
But the number of the night for me was Memory, the show-stopping classic from Broadway’s Cats, as sung by Colfer’s Kurt and, briefly, by the rest home’s forgotten star, played by recent Oscar nominee June Squibb. (It was also nice seeing Tim Conway and Billy Dee Williams as fellow retired actors.)
The song is undeniably beautiful, and its melancholy mood fit the moment, as old actors reminisced. This also was my favorite Chris Colfer vocal in five seasons of Glee. The song suited his voice so well, and he performed it with such vocal delicacy, yet also emotional verve. Thanks, Chris.
I’d thank him wholeheartedly for his first TV writing, too, but I did have my reservations. Yet I respect what he did.
As writers we’re told, “Write what you know.” Well, Colfer knew he loved animals, and as he’s said in an interview, feisty old ladies are his “favorite human beings on the planet.” That, in itself, made the episode sing.
He conveyed such love with charm, humor and pathos — while also giving his character a spotlight he hasn’t had of late — and leaving his relationship with Blaine in a holding pattern. This was a Kurt story, as the talented kid from Lima wearied of fading into the background of his friends’ achievements, and struck out on his own in a special way.
Now we await next week’s season finale to launch a huge leap to Season 6, which Fox says will vault ahead in time and not be New York-centric. And I’m ready — I’ve loved Glee changing, so why stop now?
Until then, my cap’s off to Chris Colfer for restoring a thing that’s crucial to Glee yet sometimes  missing, apart from soaring songs. And that’s heart.
– Bruce Westbrook
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:41 am

http://cartermatt.com/119515/glee-season-5-episode-19-review-chris-colfer-shines-old-dog-new-tricks/

‘Glee’ season 5, episode 19 review: Chris Colfer shines in ‘Old Dog, New Tricks’

s there any way to make Chris Colfer into a member of “Glee” staff full-time? Okay, he is probably a little too busy for that, but the actor did a more than commendable job with tonight’s “Old Dog, New Tricks.” This episode was a nice departure from most of the rest of the story, at least in that there was an adult feeling behind it. At the same time, though, there was a charm in the story that reminded us of some of the early episodes. Chris wrote this like a man with a big imagination, and someone not completely jaded by the industry.

Colfer’s story revolved around his character trying to find a way to use a production of “Peter Pan” in order to find his place in New York. It was a way for him to find significant in a city that had swallowed him whole in many ways. It took some of his other friends a little while to realize that this was something to be proud of, but the majority of them did come around.

At the end of the day, we could say that this entire story was unrealistic and also super sugar-coated, but we don’t see it that way. Instead, it was pretty funny and very sweet. Because the whimsy came from an earnest place, we could look past most of the flaws … except for Santana. The fact that she is somehow the greatest in the world at PR with zero experience is a total smack to the face of people who actually do the job.
Was there any real movement forward with some of the characters? Not really, but the rest of the story was so strong (thanks to Colfer’s writing) that we didn’t mind. Grade: A-.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:49 am

And forget the AVClub one it is downright nasty.  :angry: 

Bias towards Chris and Kurt.  :angry:
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:53 am

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:58 am

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 4:59 am

5x19 "Old Dog, New Tricks" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 3 Tumblr_n56y2fP1hw1qe476yo1_500
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/7/2014, 5:09 am

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 5/7/2014, 5:14 am

Great episode especially for a first time writing for TV. It may not have been perfect ,but still a lot better than most if not all episodes at least since season 4 if not before.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 5/7/2014, 5:40 am

BillBoard also gave the episode a good review. The reviewer really got what Kurt was striving to communicate.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6077595/glee-recap-old-dog-new-tricks-episode-reminds-of-old-glee-with-new
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next