General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4

Post  Glorfindel on 11/18/2013, 3:08 pm

brisallie wrote:Is true he is still young, but one thing is being a teenager and another thing is being in your mid-twenties. I know they're teenagers that look older for their age, but at least for me is hard to believe some of these characters are in their teenage days, at least when it comes to appearance.
I think the only one who can still pull it off is Kevin.

Even Chris doesn't look like he just left high school a year ago anymore.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 11/18/2013, 4:04 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:I have to agree with Kurt Hummel, Blaine is not the main problem in terms of look. Most of them look like college graduates who are already working since a few years in their chosen profession.
No, he isn't the main problem in terms of age. None of them look young enough, except perhaps the actress who plays Bree.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/18/2013, 4:09 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
brisallie wrote:Is true he is still young, but one thing is being a teenager and another thing is being in your mid-twenties. I know they're teenagers that look older for their age, but at least for me is hard to believe some of these characters are in their teenage days, at least when it comes to appearance.
I think the only one who can still pull it off is Kevin.

Even Chris doesn't look like he just left high school a year ago anymore.
Is funny, because I also believe Kevin still can pull of a teenager, and I don't know if this has to be with the wheelchair or because he naturally has this young looking appearance. The other person I used to think could pass as a teenager was Jenna, but only because she had a sort of sweet young voice, that according to you fits well with a teenager. But since last season she started to look her age, and the same goes for the rest of the cast, including Chris.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 11/18/2013, 4:13 pm

Like I said before, most TV high school kids look older by necessity since they cast actors in their early 20's and even mid or in the case of Mark and Cory, late 20's.

The only ones who usually look plausibly younger  are the ones who grow up on screen, like the Cosby kids  who you literally saw  as preteens all the way to adulthood.

Chris Colfer was unusual in that he was still 18 when he was cast plus he looked like he was 12 Smile 

Yet now while he's  still very youthful looking, he can pass as a young college man plausibly.   I love Kevin but I think his salad day looking like a HS kid are sadly behind him, though being in a wheelchair with those sweater vests helped him stretch it out as much as he could.  Jenna, Chord and Darren by contrast can look positively haggard some days, they are attractive people no doubt, but they are definitely showing their age on the show.

The most impressive to me was Cory Monteith, his acting at times could suspend belief how old Cory was compared to the character Finn.

Mark NEVER looked like a HS kid. tonguue 
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/18/2013, 4:47 pm

mark was way too mature looking in the first place, and his body - oh my, no way can a teenager look THIS buff/bulky! boys even after they reached the adult height still take years to complete their skeletal/muscular growth. usually not until one's mid-20s do they really "fill out" in terms of adding bulk to their physique.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 11/18/2013, 6:00 pm

fantastica wrote:mark was way too mature looking in the first place, and his body - oh my, no way can a teenager look THIS buff/bulky! boys even after they reached the adult height still take years to complete their skeletal/muscular growth. usually not until one's mid-20s do they really "fill out" in terms of adding bulk to their physique.
I just saw my cousin, a boy soon to be 16, he trains and is athletic but he still looks like a bean stalk because he outgrows his muscles. and his sholders haven't widened yet. I like it when sometimes TV shows do use actual teenagers. It looks really weird though because it looks like real life. Smile 
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/18/2013, 6:31 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:... I like it when sometimes TV shows do use actual teenagers. It looks really weird though because it looks like real life. Smile
For me only Nick and Disney are the ones who look after real teenagers for their series, but overall the actors playing teenagers are usually over 18 years old. I think is because some of these series have complicated plots and prefer older actors playing those roles, or they simply want someone with some experience.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/18/2013, 6:46 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:
fantastica wrote:mark was way too mature looking in the first place, and his body - oh my, no way can a teenager look THIS buff/bulky! boys even after they reached the adult height still take years to complete their skeletal/muscular growth. usually not until one's mid-20s do they really "fill out" in terms of adding bulk to their physique.
I just saw my cousin, a boy soon to be 16, he trains and is athletic but he still looks like a bean stalk because he outgrows his muscles. and his sholders haven't widened yet. I like it when sometimes TV shows do use actual teenagers. It looks really weird though because it looks like real life. Smile 
an average teenager needs over 5000 calories of food and the athletic ones need even more. there's just not enough "meat" to grow those "meat" at that age. chris still has a young body. he's very lean. he can pass as a teenager body wise.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 11/19/2013, 12:50 am

Fantastic news for Gustin:

http://www.extratv.com/2013/11/18/grant-green-the-flash-arrow-season-2-barry-allen/

His whole new pilot for a possible Flash series...Wooo hoo!!

bounce bounce 
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/21/2013, 1:23 am

Buenos wrote:Fantastic news for Gustin:

http://www.extratv.com/2013/11/18/grant-green-the-flash-arrow-season-2-barry-allen/

His whole new pilot for a possible Flash series...Wooo hoo!!

bounce bounce 
So glad for Grant Smile I sincerely wish him the best.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny on 11/21/2013, 6:31 am

So! After a few hours of sweating over excel worksheets (don’t judge me, excel has never been my thing), I’ve finally managed to get together enough stats to make a proper post! 

Statistics cover from 1x01 to 5x03.

When a character is marked as singing a “song” rather than a solo or duet, this could mean that they’re singing lead, or a couple of lines, or are just backing up a group number; it also accounts for solos and duets. So long as they sing, I’m counting them.

Some interesting points:

• Blaine Anderson is the only character who has sung in every single episode of one season (Season 4). Surprisingly, there has been at least one episode each season in which Rachel Berry did not sing (season 1, Acafellas; season 2, Night of Neglect; season 3, The Spanish Teacher; multiple in season 4).
  • However, Rachel is the character who has sung the most episodes in a row over two seasons (from 1x04 to 2x16, a total of 35 episodes in a row, trumping Blaine’s 27 from 3x21 to 5x03).
  • Another interesting thing to consider when looking at these statistics is the number of songs, number of solos and number of duets related to how much plot each character has on the show. For example, Artie is the character with the second highest number of songs total, but has had less than half (subjectively) the amount of plot Rachel has been given.
  • As a matter of fact, Artie is the only character to have appeared in every single episode of Glee so far.

Total songs sung by each character

Obviously, Rachel is the character who has sung in the most songs. Note the drop-off after the original New Directions to Will and the new New Directions (and Matt Rutherford), then to the characters with fewer episodes.

Total solos sung by each character

Again, Rachel is the character with the most solos, followed by Blaine and then Mercedes and Kurt. It’s interesting to note that Blaine has more solos than the rest of the New Directions members, even though he was only introduced in season 2 and only joined the New Directions in season 3.

Total duets sung by each character

Rachel has sung twice as many duets as any else, followed by a close Finn and Blaine. It’s interesting to note that characters with very few episodes such as April Rhodes have sung twice as many duets as some recurring or main characters such as Mike Chang or Sugar Motta.

Total duets sung by each main couple

(An easier graph to read!) Very few of the couples on Glee have sung more than one duet together. Finchel and Klaine, being the two main couples of the show (and arguably Jarley as well), are an exception, but it’s interesting to see that Wemma, a storyline featured heavily in earlier plot, only have one duet.

Tables

Hopefully I might be able to do some more statistics in the future about character appearances and the relation between songs and storyline. I hope you found this informative!

source
Kurt is in 4th place in every chart which is good compared to the 28 characters after him in the list. But it's till very annoying how many songs Rachel and Blaine have, especially the number of their solos and the fact that you can barely find an episode they haven't sang at all. 
I saw one mistake maybe there are more. Brody had a solo in episode 4.16.  

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 11/21/2013, 7:35 am

Has Kurt really had 16 solo's?

ETA: I got to nine with a quick count, but then again I only count the ones that are presented as full solos in the episodes, not just in the releases. There are three songs with Rachel that can be counted as solos, but they were sung shared in the episodes.

Last edited by valkeakuulas on 11/21/2013, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 7:42 am

^Interesting, but this calculation is not representative and goes askew because of 2 important factors they're not integrating in the results:

1) they're countingl all contributions to group numbers as "a song" for the individual characters, including maybe 10 seconds of back-up in a ND group number.
This way all original season 1 characters in ND have sung many more songs than they (visibly) really did on the show, while others who mainly get prominently featured in solos, duets and leading a lot of those group numbers, in comparison may have had lesser songs, but had much more exposure in them.

2) they're not taking into considerating the number of episodes the individual characters were in, and they do not compare/connect this knowledge to how many songs these characters sang in their % of all the episodes in 5 seasons they were in (or the number of episodes they were not in).
Some of these characters have been around for 5 seasons, others only came in after a season or 2, some have been missing in multiple episodes. They mention this in the comments, but it has no effect on the statistics they show.

Not to diss all the hard work that went into making these statistics (I know all about that). fanny2

Last edited by Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos, time for food: my body is an engine and cannot work without fuel!!)

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 11/21/2013, 7:45 am

^I like your song distribution charts because they take account on the levels of singing as well. But yes making statistics is hard work, almost painful.
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 7:50 am

valkeakuulas wrote:Has Kurt really had 16 solo's?

ETA: I got to nine with a quick count, but then again I only count the ones that are presented as full solos in the episodes, not just in the releases. There are three songs with Rachel that can be counted as solos, but they were sung shared in the episodes.
Yes, 'Defying Gravity', 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina', and 'Bring Him Home'.

If I count 'Mr. Cellophane', 'Pink Houses' and 'Music of the Night' (though they were never released as songs), I get to:

1) Mr. Cellophane
2) A House is not a Home
3) Pink Houses
4) Rose's Turn
5) I Want To Hold Your Hand
6) Le Jazz Hot
7) Blackbird
8) As If We Never Said Goodbye
9) Some People
10) I'm The Greatest Star
11) I Have Nothing
12) Music of the Night
13) Not The Boy Next Door
14) I'll Remember
15) Being Alive
16) You Are the Sunshine of My Life.

So it all depends on whether they counted the +Rachel duets as solos, or the unreleased songs I mentioned above. saispa

-ETA-
It's interesting that in season 1 '2nd or 3rd tier character' Kurt had 4 solos, in season 2 (when Glee became "the Kurt Hummel show") he had only 1 more: 5.
In season 3, when he in all intent and purpose had become a main lead he also had only 5 solos. And then comes the big void in season 4: only 2 solos. :angry:

So:
- season 1: 4 solos (-2, not counting Mr.C and PH)
- season 2: 5 solos
- season 3: 5 solos (-1, not counting MOTN)
- season 4: 2 solos
- season 5: ?, none in sight so far.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 8:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 11/21/2013, 7:57 am

Oh I completely forgot I'll Remember and I Have Nothing. That was purely because of context reasons, songs were OK, but I hated the reasons and situations Kurt sung them in.

But no way are the snippet songs in my mind solos. Actually I have hard time counting Mercedes' Hell No and the My Cup and Headbands and Only Egg as solos either. Wait are those on the count as well?
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny on 11/21/2013, 8:04 am

I feel sad when I remember that in S2 and S3 we had 5(4) Chris solos per season, but it will never happen again. It's a shame how somebody with a great voice like his got only two in S4 and nothing in the first 9 episodes of S5 while other mediocre singers sang twice as much.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 8:09 am

valkeakuulas wrote:But no way are the snippet songs in my mind solos. Actually I have hard time counting Mercedes' Hell No and the My Cup and Headbands and Only Egg as solos either. Wait are those on the count as well?
I'm not counting those unreleased songs as solos either, tbh. So statisticly imo Kurt only had 13 solos so far.

And I have no idea if they counted 'Headband' and 'Only Child' as solos, because I haven't updated all the season 4 and season 5 songs yet in my excel document, although I could find it if I went into my notes and calculations and started counting solos manually.

'My Cup' and 'Hell to the No' were released on iTunes, so they should count.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 11/21/2013, 2:59 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
valkeakuulas wrote:But no way are the snippet songs in my mind solos. Actually I have hard time counting Mercedes' Hell No and the My Cup and Headbands and Only Egg as solos either. Wait are those on the count as well?
I'm not counting those unreleased songs as solos either, tbh. So statisticly imo Kurt only had 13 solos so far.

And I have no idea if they counted 'Headband' and 'Only Child' as solos, because I haven't updated all the season 4 and season 5 songs yet in my excel document, although I could find it if I went into my notes and calculations and started counting solos manually.

'My Cup' and 'Hell to the No' were released on iTunes, so they should count.
"Hell to the NO" was a solo, and a damn good one, Amber killed it.

A throwaway not really a solo song is more like "My funny Valentine" that Jenna sang IMO.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/21/2013, 4:22 pm

talking about Jenna/tina's solos... she has a beatles solo that's not on the album. did she break down and cry again during singing or she sang it "properly"? i wonder why it wasn't in the album. or did she sing that solo at all? i am asking because i didn't see the episode and don't want to watch the high school part just to find that out.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 on 11/21/2013, 4:36 pm

fantastica wrote:talking about Jenna/tina's solos... she has a beatles solo that's not on the album. did she break down and cry again during singing or she sang it "properly"? i wonder why it wasn't in the album. or did she sing that solo at all? i am asking because i didn't see the episode and don't want to watch the high school part just to find that out.
I believe she sang like 2 lines but then got cut off by the bell. Poor Jenna. She really got the shaft on this show. No 

"Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone." -Cory Monteith (May 11, 1982- July 13, 2013)
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny on 11/21/2013, 4:38 pm

fantastica wrote:talking about Jenna/tina's solos... she has a beatles solo that's not on the album. did she break down and cry again during singing or she sang it "properly"? i wonder why it wasn't in the album. or did she sing that solo at all? i am asking because i didn't see the episode and don't want to watch the high school part just to find that out.
She started singing but after just a few lines the bell rang and everybody left the choir room.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/21/2013, 5:06 pm

^Poor Jenna. Evil or Very Mad

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/21/2013, 5:33 pm

wow, that's extremely insulting! imagine if that happens to kurt, what kind of shitty storm it will cause! at least everybody here will boil up in mushroom clouds! then consider that they did this to jenna/tina almost every season... poor jenna. poor jenna fans!
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 11/21/2013, 9:36 pm

Not surprising:

Glee is making a big move!
E! News has learned that Fox has decided to move Glee back to Tuesday nights at 8 pm this spring. Greg Kinnear's new dramedy series Rake will be taking the plum Thursday night slot, airing after American Idol.
And dropping off the Tuesday schedule to make room for Glee are two comedies: The Mindy Project and Dads.
Fox’s Tuesday night lineup for spring is as follows:
8 pm: Glee
9 pm: New Girl
9:30 p.m.: Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Glee's ratings aren't what they used to be, with its most recent episode pulling in 4.2 million viewers and a 1.4 in the demo. Its highest-rated episode of the season was the Cory Monteith tribute, which attracted 7.4 million viewers and a 2.8 demo rating.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top