Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If You wrote for Glee

+7
MoviesAreLife
brisallie
Glorfindel
arina
glimmerle
fantastica
ChrisColferFan1
11 posters

Go down

If You wrote for  Glee Empty If You wrote for Glee

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/11/2013, 1:21 am

What would you do different if you wrote for Glee? One thing I would do different is to show Kurt's side of the Break-up.Another thing I would do different is to show someone that is 100% on Kurt's side.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

If You wrote for  Glee Empty Re: If You wrote for Glee

Post  fantastica 4/11/2013, 2:37 am

I would make kurt the number one main character. It would be kurts journey from birth til death.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/11/2013, 2:48 am

fantastica wrote:I would make kurt the number one main character. It would be kurts journey from birth til death.

Good choice.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  glimmerle 4/11/2013, 4:45 am

• I'd delete my twitter-account.

• I'd think about what the core messages are my show wants to communicate to the audience and make sure the writing reflects them.

• I'd start using character sheets and storyboards to reduce the inconsistencies.

• I'd plot out whole seasons beforehand, thinking about how each character's storyline should play out, how it can be tied in with other character's storylines, how much screentime is warranted for each character according to their importance to the show in general and what kind of storylines and exposure each actor can handle.

• I'd reduce the number of songs in favor of witty and/or meaningful dialogue, so characters and storylines can be fleshed out better.

• I'd give the remaining songs more relevance to the plot and would distribute them amongst the cast members who can actually sing them and are part of a plot that gives them a reason to sing them. I'd keep each character's overall importance in mind when deciding about who sings how much.

• I'd acknowledge that the success of my show isn't built solely on the power of my ego, but a team effort, so I'd treat everyone involved (cast, crew, but also characters and even the audience) with due respect.
glimmerle
glimmerle
Llama
Llama

http://glimmerle.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/11/2013, 5:22 am

glimmerle: Can you write Glee, please?
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/11/2013, 6:46 am

@glimmerle: If You wrote for  Glee Ab-notworthy
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/11/2013, 7:50 am

@glimmerle rooots I think you have summarized what would be the best to make this show more bearable.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/11/2013, 9:35 am

brisallie wrote:@glimmerle rooots I think you have summarized what would be the best to make this show more bearable.

I agree.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/12/2013, 1:47 pm

Simple, I would split the show in two. I'd have a MK show for those who want the original format, and I'd have the more adult, fabulous NYC spin off for those who wanted that. And if the MK show dies off because of low ratings...oh well. The people have spoken. Wink

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/12/2013, 3:05 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Simple, I would split the show in two. I'd have a MK show for those who want the original format, and I'd have the more adult, fabulous NYC spin off for those who wanted that. And if the MK show dies off because of low ratings...oh well. The people have spoken. Wink

Good ideas. Here is some more what I would do. I would bring Max back as a major recurring guest. Bring Grant back as a regular. Cut down on Darren's scene time ,maybe even have him transfer back to Dalton,and only have him in couple of episodes a year.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 4/12/2013, 4:04 pm

I would start from the very beginning and completely reboot. Or, at least, I'd start from the very beginning of Season Two and reboot. I have some more specific ideas, but so much needs to be changed that it would be impossible to tackle.

I don't think McKinley can be saved.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/12/2013, 4:28 pm

AnneNeville wrote:I would start from the very beginning and completely reboot. Or, at least, I'd start from the very beginning of Season Two and reboot. I have some more specific ideas, but so much needs to be changed that it would be impossible to tackle.

Good ideas. I agree I don't think McKinley can be save either.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 4/12/2013, 5:36 pm

If they can't salvage some interest in the McKinley characters after the travesty that was Shooting Star, then there's no hope. It's a dead limb that unless it gets amputated, will destroy the whole body.

Sorry... I work in a hospital.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/12/2013, 6:02 pm

AnneNeville wrote:I would start from the very beginning and completely reboot. Or, at least, I'd start from the very beginning of Season Two and reboot. I have some more specific ideas, but so much needs to be changed that it would be impossible to tackle.

Also I would going back to season 2 and reboot everything, though for me wasn't a bad season at all. But as things are right now, I'm not sure what's possible to do to save this.

BTW, I've forgotten to say Welcome Smile. And is Neville because of Harry Potter? Or just I'm wrong?

@Ranwing, I like your analogy.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Adamina 4/12/2013, 6:30 pm

While changing things about the overall show would be more helpful, a lot of the time I just think about specific scenes/episodes that I would change. For example, in the Michael episode I would have had Kurt going to Dalton and singing Smooth Criminal with Sebastian instead of Santana, and also I would have had a scene about Kurt's decision to give Sebastian the tape and not prosecute him, with either him discussing it with Blaine or else showing the consequences when Blaine finds out (because honestly, I had no idea if Blaine knew about it at ALL). With the West Side Story arc I would have either had Kurt and Mercedes as leads for half of the performances and Rachel and Blaine the other half, or I would have developed the "Kurt can't get roles because he can't pass" story line and made it more in depth and with a more satisfying ending than Kurt getting rejected from NYADA.
I would also have a lot more continuity. One thing I can't stand is when TV shows seem to completely forget past events/disregard character development, and I love it when they make little references to things that happened in previous episodes (an example of this in Glee is when Kurt told Rachel about throwing the Defying Gravity competition).
Another thing I would change (that Glee does a lot) is the tendency to not think realistically in terms of the characters lives when we don't see them. We only see the characters around once a week for part of the year- they do a lot without our knowledge. For example, it's hard to believe that Kurt and Blaine hadn't really talked about sex (aside from seemingly one conversation about keeping hands above the equator) in their entire- approximately six month long- relationship and then were all of a sudden ready to go all the way (there are probably better examples but none are coming to mind right now). The episodes aren't happening in a vaccuum- we're dropping in on their lives for only a brief time. I don't know how well I explained this part... ooppss
Thirdly, I would streamline the show. It seems to me that a lot of things on the show are filler/do nothing for the show or characters, for example shoehorning in celebrity guest stars or having songs just to capitalize on iTunes sales (like how they sang Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe). Another great example is bringing in all of those people from the Glee Project with mediocre acting skills and expanding the cast to its present size. It's better to have a core cast of characters that people can really connect with. The show often has themes (such as "guilty pleasures" or "last chances") and builds seemingly random/irrelevant story lines off of those. In Guilty Pleasures, I may have included the boyfriend pillow story line, but I would have included it in the broader context of Kurt's struggle to get over Blaine. In the episode, it was played mostly for laughs and Kurt only mentioned Blaine once in the episode, and I felt they were missing out on a chance to show us Kurt's pov on the break-up. Although I didn't watch Shooting Star, the story line with Brittany and ladybug on the telescope sounded pretty ridiculous- how on earth did it contribute to Brittany's character development or do anything for the episode?
I would also make Glee more realistic. I realize that singing only showtunes at NYADA might alienate some younger viewers, but it is not realistic for them to be singing pop songs 24/7. And of course Rachel getting in because she stalked Mme. Tibideaux was unrealistic as well.
Finally, I would flat-out change some of the characters. I could never really like Quinn, for example, because after some of the things she did, I always felt as though she had some secret agenda and so could never let my guard down when they were trying to make her sympathetic. Because of this, I didn't connect with her at all, ever. I would have given her more depth as a character and shown more of a light on her motivations and goals (for example, when did she ever say she wanted to go to Yale?). Same for Brittany- her characterization seems really one-note to me. I almost feel as though she doesn't really absorb anything, kind of like someone with short-term memory loss. I would have had a story line about how she was raped (that "alien invasion" line in one of the episodes) and a story line about why she is this way- is it a disability? Did she injure her brain in an accident? Has she been this way since birth? There's no way some one with a 0.0 GPA is just plain "stupid". And of course, I would give Blaine more depth and back story and give him many more flaws (or at least not present him as perfect) to make him a more interesting character. People write so many good fanfics where Blaine is an excellent, flawed, fleshed out character and I ship Klaine, but then I watch the show and am disappointed. The Glee fandom has so many excellent writers that I think RIB should just hire some of them saispa
Adamina
Adamina
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/17/2013, 1:57 am

Adamina wrote:While changing things about the overall show would be more helpful, a lot of the time I just think about specific scenes/episodes that I would change. For example, in the Michael episode I would have had Kurt going to Dalton and singing Smooth Criminal with Sebastian instead of Santana, and also I would have had a scene about Kurt's decision to give Sebastian the tape and not prosecute him, with either him discussing it with Blaine or else showing the consequences when Blaine finds out (because honestly, I had no idea if Blaine knew about it at ALL). With the West Side Story arc I would have either had Kurt and Mercedes as leads for half of the performances and Rachel and Blaine the other half, or I would have developed the "Kurt can't get roles because he can't pass" story line and made it more in depth and with a more satisfying ending than Kurt getting rejected from NYADA.
I would also have a lot more continuity. One thing I can't stand is when TV shows seem to completely forget past events/disregard character development, and I love it when they make little references to things that happened in previous episodes (an example of this in Glee is when Kurt told Rachel about throwing the Defying Gravity competition).
Another thing I would change (that Glee does a lot) is the tendency to not think realistically in terms of the characters lives when we don't see them. We only see the characters around once a week for part of the year- they do a lot without our knowledge. For example, it's hard to believe that Kurt and Blaine hadn't really talked about sex (aside from seemingly one conversation about keeping hands above the equator) in their entire- approximately six month long- relationship and then were all of a sudden ready to go all the way (there are probably better examples but none are coming to mind right now). The episodes aren't happening in a vaccuum- we're dropping in on their lives for only a brief time. I don't know how well I explained this part... ooppss
Thirdly, I would streamline the show. It seems to me that a lot of things on the show are filler/do nothing for the show or characters, for example shoehorning in celebrity guest stars or having songs just to capitalize on iTunes sales (like how they sang Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe). Another great example is bringing in all of those people from the Glee Project with mediocre acting skills and expanding the cast to its present size. It's better to have a core cast of characters that people can really connect with. The show often has themes (such as "guilty pleasures" or "last chances") and builds seemingly random/irrelevant story lines off of those. In Guilty Pleasures, I may have included the boyfriend pillow story line, but I would have included it in the broader context of Kurt's struggle to get over Blaine. In the episode, it was played mostly for laughs and Kurt only mentioned Blaine once in the episode, and I felt they were missing out on a chance to show us Kurt's pov on the break-up. Although I didn't watch Shooting Star, the story line with Brittany and ladybug on the telescope sounded pretty ridiculous- how on earth did it contribute to Brittany's character development or do anything for the episode?
I would also make Glee more realistic. I realize that singing only showtunes at NYADA might alienate some younger viewers, but it is not realistic for them to be singing pop songs 24/7. And of course Rachel getting in because she stalked Mme. Tibideaux was unrealistic as well.
Finally, I would flat-out change some of the characters. I could never really like Quinn, for example, because after some of the things she did, I always felt as though she had some secret agenda and so could never let my guard down when they were trying to make her sympathetic. Because of this, I didn't connect with her at all, ever. I would have given her more depth as a character and shown more of a light on her motivations and goals (for example, when did she ever say she wanted to go to Yale?). Same for Brittany- her characterization seems really one-note to me. I almost feel as though she doesn't really absorb anything, kind of like someone with short-term memory loss. I would have had a story line about how she was raped (that "alien invasion" line in one of the episodes) and a story line about why she is this way- is it a disability? Did she injure her brain in an accident? Has she been this way since birth? There's no way some one with a 0.0 GPA is just plain "stupid". And of course, I would give Blaine more depth and back story and give him many more flaws (or at least not present him as perfect) to make him a more interesting character. People write so many good fanfics where Blaine is an excellent, flawed, fleshed out character and I ship Klaine, but then I watch the show and am disappointed. The Glee fandom has so many excellent writers that I think RIB should just hire some of them saispa

Some great points/ideas.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/18/2013, 2:02 am

Adamina wrote:While changing things about the overall show would be more helpful, a lot of the time I just think about specific scenes/episodes that I would change. For example, in the Michael episode I would have had Kurt going to Dalton and singing Smooth Criminal with Sebastian instead of Santana, and also I would have had a scene about Kurt's decision to give Sebastian the tape and not prosecute him, with either him discussing it with Blaine or else showing the consequences when Blaine finds out (because honestly, I had no idea if Blaine knew about it at ALL). With the West Side Story arc I would have either had Kurt and Mercedes as leads for half of the performances and Rachel and Blaine the other half, or I would have developed the "Kurt can't get roles because he can't pass" story line and made it more in depth and with a more satisfying ending than Kurt getting rejected from NYADA.

I really like this.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/18/2013, 2:26 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:

I really like this.

Me too. I admit I read some fanfics where I like Blaine, and ship Klaine. But not on the series.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 4/18/2013, 6:59 am

Great points have been added already. Another point I want to add is casting:

I would have been more consistent and careful with casting. I would put heavy focus on finding unique, different personalities to bring new layers and potential on the show. I’d be careful to have a bunch of kids who truly represent outcasts as they fit not in the norm. How the audience is nowadays supposed to believe ND are oucasts, when they look and act like the royalty of MK? I also would have stopped casting so many new characters in the first place, as the cast is big enough and they don’t need so many new characters. Sam would have worked extremely well as Kurt boyfriend and Quinn could have had a different storyline. They didn’t need to add two new characters at that time of the show.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Adamina 4/18/2013, 8:15 am

I think one of their problems is that they painted themselves into a corner with the "Glee clubs need 12 members" rule, so that any time someone leaves/graduates, they need to bring in a new member- it makes cast inflation pretty easy. Of course, the answer to this is to sprinkle actors who are capable of dancing/singing throughout the high school students who aren't in glee club and then have those people become members (sort of like they did with Quinn, Santana and Brittany but on a longer timeline). I have to say I really want Stoner Brett to join Glee... That way, characters like Joe and Rory would be unnecessary. I think everything would be much better if they just cut the requirement down to eight members.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add- I definitely agree with that most of the Glee members don't fit the "underdog" persona! That's one reason I always liked Kurt so much. I think he's one of the most consistent characters in terms of underdog-ness.
Adamina
Adamina
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 4/18/2013, 9:47 am

I don’t mind them adding new cast members. That is a natural process. But they added so many, and some of them have no purpose but to sit in the background of choir room. Why create Sugar and Joe when there is no intention of using them? Why have so many Glee Project winners, especially when three out of four are weak actors, and the only talented one only is shown two episodes? Especially during S3, they had more than 12 ND members.

However, my complaint probably also ignites as they focus on the wrong character ND. Why are they so reluctant to showcase Artie but funny to indulge the audience in yet another love triangle involving Marley, Jake and Ryder? Especially when the GA has a very obvious preference whom they prefer.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/18/2013, 6:08 pm

Artie is one of the last "underdogs" left in the ND. He needs to get more focus (and it looks like he will). Smile

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down