The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 5:30 am

brisallie wrote:And who's that Ice Queen you're talking about? From what fairytale is she?
I meant Hans Christian Andersen's Snow Queen (as Ivana corrected me). In Dutch they sometimes call her the Ice Queen, so hence the confusion.

The fairytale roughly goes like this:
- There's a magic mirror that gets splintered.
- Some of the splinters get in the eyes and heart of a little boy, Kai, and it changes his personality so he becomes cold and heartless to his family and best friend, a girl named Gerda.
- The little boy gets taken by the Snow Queen to live with her near the North Pole. He forgets about his past and the people think he has drowned.
- The little girl Gerda then goes out to find Kai. She has many adventures (not going to tell them here because they might turn up in TLoS2 as well) before she finally finds Kai in the Snow Queen's palace.
- Kai does not recognize her, but Gerda's tears melt and wash away the mirror splinters in Kai's eyes and heart and he becomes warm again, remembering everything.
- Kai is free from the Snow Queen because Gerda's love saved him and they both go home again.

It's quite a symbolic story, one of Hans Christian Andersen's longest and deepest fairy tales. There's a rite of passage in it: children growing up.

My speculations:
- I think the splinters of the Snow Queen's tale's mirror will be in TLoS2 and make a character become cold and heartless, and it is the same mirror that shattered on the Evil Queen in TLoS1.
- Either Alex will be like Gerda and has to free/find Connor (Kai) in some way, or the twins' mother will be the one who, after being taken by the evil enchantress, will not recognize her children anymore, like in the Snow Queen's fairytale.
- The Sea Witch might be used like in 'The Little Mermaid': granting the children a wish, but taking something from them in return as well.

Oh, I have no clue really, but it sounds interesting, and it's fascinating how much a title and a cover can trigger thoughts and speculations. wub
Is it August 6th already?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 6:55 am

Amazon.co.uk just informed me that my pre-order of TLoS has been delayed and now will be shippd to me in March (!) 2014 instead of August 2013. panik

Does anyone know if the book is already on pre-order in any U.S. online shops?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 4/2/2013, 8:02 am

O.O Have you told them there must be a mistake? You can't wait that long Marie.

And thanks for the information, and though I've seen movies about Snow Queen, is the first time I know is a Hans Christian Andersen's tale.

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 4/2/2013, 8:27 am

sheny wrote:

'Glee' star Chris Colfer reveals title, date, and cover of second 'Land of Stories' book -- EXCLUSIVE

by Stephan Lee

Chris Colfer is used to being No. 1 on the iTunes chart as part of the Glee cast, and he shot to the top of the New York Times best-seller list with his first novel, The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell. EW has learned exclusively that Book 2 will be called The Enchantress Returns, coming to you Aug. 6, and will feature the evil Enchantress who cursed Sleeping Beauty, who is back with a vengeance.

Alex and Conner Bailey have not been back to the magical Land of Stories since their adventures in The Wishing Spell ended. But one night, they learn the famed Enchantress has kidnapped their mother. Against the will of their grandmother (the one and only Fairy Godmother), the twins must find their own way into the Land of Stories to rescue their mother and save the fairy tale world from the greatest threat it’s ever faced.

Take the first peek at the very cool cover art by Brandon Dorman below!

EW.COM

wub The cover looks really good. It certainly hints at a darker tale, with those evil eyes at the top and two evil witches on the sides.

I wasn't expecting the evil queen to be the villain of the second book. I originally thought that the new villain would be the enchantress who destroyed the life of the evil queen (and made her into the person she came to be), as she had sounded like a more malevolent character.

Glorfindel wrote:Amazon.co.uk just informed me that my pre-order of TLoS has been delayed and now will be shippd to me in March (!) 2014 instead of August 2013. panik

That's a whole 7 months' difference! That can't be right. I suppose if they really can't ship it out earlier, you have the option of canceling your order with them and ordering the book through a US online store.

When you recall that the US TLOS had the map but not the UK one, it's probably preferable to get a US copy.

As for me, I'll wait for the audiobook to become available before I put in my order.
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 9:12 am

^I saw someone else somewhere also say the same thing about Amazon.co.uk. They really have postponed the order till March 2014.

I'm cancelling that order, and will purchase the book from the U.S. now. Can anyone recommend me a good U.S. online shop?

Last edited by Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong year)

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/2/2013, 11:50 am

After a bit of a goodnight sleep and giving it some second thoughts, I actually really start to like the cover a lot. Still not entirely fond of the eyes, but I can deal with it. I guess I had really high expectations, because I absolutely love the cover of the first book. I sincerely believe it is one of the most beautiful book covers for a children’s book and it actually convinced me to purchase LoS initially (I was a bit reluctant first, as once again, didn’t like the prologue and after all it was a children’s book. Got convinced pretty fast that I actually really enjoyed the story). So, yeah my expectations were high!

Overall, the cover really seems to catch the atmosphere of the story. I predict it will be darker, suspenseful and the twins start to grow up. Furthermore, the story seems to take place in colder areas, as also indicated by the Snow Queen (I LOVE that story. So excited that it is covered) and the polar bear. Predict the polar bear will be the new villain, as he looks rather dangerous and if I remember correctly, on the first cover the wolf is at the same spot.

Hope Chris will do an audio book again. I most likely will fall asleep while listing to it (I am so bad at audio books!), but I really love his voice imitations and will purchase it anyhow. I am excited bounce !
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 4/2/2013, 12:16 pm

From what i understand the Evil Queen is the witch from Snow White (also the glorious bitch in my avatar fanny2 ), while the villain of the second book is an Enchantress aka. the Evil Fairy from Sleeping Beauty also known as Maleficent (you can see a little spindle above chris's name in the cover). It's not the same person.

I have to reread LOS1 because I'm getting a lot of facts mixed up with Once Upon a Time and the 10th Kingdom which I re-watched recently.

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 4/2/2013, 12:25 pm

the eyes have a bit of birdlike quality to me, but given that that particular witch turns into a dragon in the disney cartoon (i'm not sure about the original story), the eyes seam right for it. but they definatly have a bit of cartoony feel to them. but i love the overall color scheme and gloomier atmosphere.

the bear looks a bit demonic with those red eyes. i remember watching a mini series called the snow queen on hallmark ages ago with bridget fonda in the title role that had a big polar bear as her servant (he was a cursed prince).

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 1:47 pm

^Wasn't that 'The Golden Compass'? Or am I mixing up 2 movies? blinkk

What if the enchantress of the Sleeping Beauty is the same witch that took Evly away from her parents?

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 4/2/2013, 2:30 pm

No, my memory is pretty good :

There is also a minor sub-plot involving a fierce talking polar bear who is the Snow Queen's henchman, and stays by her side because he is in love with her. After her defeat he carries her off and is seen taking the form of an elegantly dressed man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Queen_%282002_film%29

But, there are polar bears in The Golden Compass. i can't remember their function in it because i haven't red His Dark Materials trilogy yet, and i only saw the movie when it came out 5-6 years ago.

as for the evil queen - enchantress connection, no idea. i have to re read the book because i'm mixing all my info with the two shows i already mentioned, and once upon a time has a particularly convoluted backstory that is evergrowing.

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/2/2013, 4:58 pm

What I liked about LoF was that Chris actually informed kids about the roots of fairy tales and did not rely on Disney. I also like his wide range of fairly tales included in the book (even though I've never ever read about 'Jack and the....' or 'Mother Goose') Being German, I grew up with the Brother Grimm. I was totally flabbergasted how many people seemed to genuinely think Disnes wrote those stories. That is especially humorous knowing how violent and bloody most fairly tales are. So the new cover also fits better within the real fairy tale worlds, as I can imagine, that the books might start to get darker over time. Would be a natural progression and as I said, would fit to the traditional tales.

I also believe to remember that the evil queen from Sleepings Beauty was the one who captured originally the Evil Queen from Snow White. My memory is fuzzy.... But Chris seems to love female villains. I love it!
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 6:08 pm

tanita_mors wrote:No, my memory is pretty good :

There is also a minor sub-plot involving a fierce talking polar bear who is the Snow Queen's henchman, and stays by her side because he is in love with her. After her defeat he carries her off and is seen taking the form of an elegantly dressed man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Queen_%282002_film%29
Hmmm, so this is in the movie, okay. I don't remember a polar bear being in the original story, but these stories often have several versions floating around, as they are so old. Or it could have been an addition in the movie, because lbr: polar bears are cool (pun intended, lol). Rolling Eyes

But, there are polar bears in The Golden Compass. i can't remember their function in it because i haven't red His Dark Materials trilogy yet, and i only saw the movie when it came out 5-6 years ago.
The polar bear in the Golden Compass was the guardian of the main character, the girl, I believe. But tbh, I didn't like that movie nor the book it was from much.

Lottie2303 wrote:What I liked about LoF was that Chris actually informed kids about the roots of fairy tales and did not rely on Disney. I also like his wide range of fairly tales included in the book (even though I've never ever read about 'Jack and the....' or 'Mother Goose') Being German, I grew up with the Brother Grimm. I was totally flabbergasted how many people seemed to genuinely think Disnes wrote those stories. That is especially humorous knowing how violent and bloody most fairly tales are. So the new cover also fits better within the real fairy tale worlds, as I can imagine, that the books might start to get darker over time. Would be a natural progression and as I said, would fit to the traditional tales.
Same here. I'm not German (Dutch) but I grew up with the original fairy tales of the brothers Grimm, mother Goose and Hans Christian Andersen.
Although I'm not always fond of the darkness and the messages in those stories, and I don't mind turning some of them into a happy ending, the way Disney twisted them is quite another thing entirely. I'm a huge Disney fan, but yeah, there's not much of the original stories in their movies.

I also believe to remember that the evil queen from Sleepings Beauty was the one who captured originally the Evil Queen from Snow White. My memory is fuzzy.... But Chris seems to love female villains. I love it!
I just checked the book, and the Sleeping Beauty enchantress is indeed the same who killed Evly's adoptive parents and enslaved her. ohmy

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/2/2013, 6:23 pm

Glorfindel wrote:Same here. I'm not German (Dutch) but I grew up with the original fairy tales of the brothers Grimm, mother Goose and Hans Christian Andersen.
Although I'm not always fond of the darkness and the messages in those stories, and I don't mind turning some of them into a happy ending, the way Disney twisted them is quite another thing entirely. I'm a huge Disney fan, but yeah, there's not much of the original stories in their movies.

I also love Disney and absoulety adore some of their movies, but they absouletly sugarcoated the most violent stories. I am not even complaining but it is rather amusing. Of course I also do not agree with all the darkness covered in fairytales, but I consider myself quite a normal and decent person, even though I've read about Gretel pushing the evil witch in the oven and burning her alive fanny2

Glorfindel wrote:I just checked the book, and the Sleeping Beauty enchantress is indeed the same who killed Evly's adoptive parents and enslaved her. ohmy

I am flabbergasted about my own memory. I fully believe I was half asleep at that point and a bit angry about the part of the book (which we already discussed for qite a bit) ptdr . But yeah, it adds 10 notches of evilness to her if Evly appears to be more like a bitchy kitten. .

Didn't she fall in the abyss of this hole....???? My details are still fuzzy. I have to listen to the book soon again!
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/2/2013, 6:51 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Didn't she fall in the abyss of this hole....???? My details are still fuzzy. I have to listen to the book soon again!
The witch Hagatha fell in the Thornbush Pit (the one that gave the traveling salesman the wishing spell).

And yes, I checked the book. I listened to the audio book only a few weeks ago, so I remembered the chapter it was written in. fanny2

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/2/2013, 8:06 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
Lottie2303 wrote:Didn't she fall in the abyss of this hole....???? My details are still fuzzy. I have to listen to the book soon again!
The witch Hagatha fell in the Thornbush Pit (the one that gave the traveling salesman the wishing spell).

And yes, I checked the book. I listened to the audio book only a few weeks ago, so I remembered the chapter it was written in. fanny2

Ah, thanks a lot! Got that one really confused neutre .
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 4/3/2013, 1:18 am

I LOVE THAT COVER!!!!!!!!! wub It's darker (literally) and makes one feel a sense of mystery and danger. I love the darker side to the adventure, if that makes sense.

In TLOS, Evly mentioned that she thought the enchantress had died, but I knew it just seemed too easy. It wil be cool seeing the ultimate villian in this book. Everyone thought Evly was bad, but this one? She is far, far worse. She is the root of it all.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 4/3/2013, 1:32 am

Glorfindel wrote:^I saw someone else somewhere also say the same thing about Amazon.co.uk. They really have postponed the order till March 2014.

I'm cancelling that order, and will purchase the book from the U.S. now. Can anyone recommend me a good U.S. online shop?

What about the American version of the Amazon website?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/3/2013, 5:43 am

^Yes, that's a possibility, but you can't pre-order TLoS2 there yet (which is strange, as you can pre-order it on the UK site).

I'll just wait a few weeks to see when you can pre-order the book.
Maybe someone here can provide a link whenever the book is up for sale online somewhere?

-ETA-
I just found out that you can pre-order TLoS2 at Barnes & Noble.
The shipping costs more than the book for me, but it's worth it. fanny2
I can buy the audiobook in the UK or Germany (amazon) later.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/3/2013, 6:36 am

Amazon.de quotes as release date 06. August 2013. Don't know if the release date may have been delayed as well and it is not shown on the website yet, as I haven't pre-ordered the book yet.
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/3/2013, 7:05 am

^Yeah, I noticed that.
Amazon.co.uk changed the release date only 2 days ago, so maybe the German amazon will still change their date as well. Although the German amazon was a lot faster than the UK amazon in release date and delivery of SBL: The Carson Phillips Journal, so maybe they get their books in another way.

We'll just have to keep an eye on this.
For now, I pre-ordered a U.S. copy, which has the benefit of being the original print (with a possible map), as the European version of TLoS1 had no map. As soon as the audiobook is announced I'll probably order the cd plus another (European) copy of the book (for my daughter) in the UK or Germany.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 4/8/2013, 8:26 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:
In TLOS, Evly mentioned that she thought the enchantress had died, but I knew it just seemed too easy. It wil be cool seeing the ultimate villian in this book. Everyone thought Evly was bad, but this one? She is far, far worse. She is the root of it all.

Looks like my suspicions were correct after all. When Chris had hinted that one of the villains in the second book was mentioned in the first book, I had thought of that character (whom I now know as the enchantress) who had killed Evly's adoptive parents and imprisoned her lover in the mirror. The enchantress was supposed to have been killed by Evly's poisons, but the way it was told (dying in the woods somewhere?) left doubts as to whether she was truly dead.

I have noticed that most of the villains in fairy tales are female (such as evil witches, evil stepmothers or stepsisters). What male fairy tale villains do we actually have? I can think of Rumplestiltskin and Gaston in the Disney version of Beauty & the Beast. Any others?

Oh, as to the question of the pre-ordeing issue:

Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 4/8/2013, 9:20 am

Delight wrote:I have noticed that most of the villains in fairy tales are female (such as evil witches, evil stepmothers or stepsisters). What male fairy tale villains do we actually have? I can think of Rumplestiltskin and Gaston in the Disney version of Beauty & the Beast. Any others?
Captain Hook, the wolf (for Little Red Riding Hood, the 3 piglets, and the 7 little goats), the giant (Jack and the Bean stack), the Piped Piper.
But yes, a lot of villains are female: evil step mothers and/or witches. Maybe the witch hunts of those ages contributed to that?

Already pre-ordered. fanny2

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 4/8/2013, 12:06 pm

Delight wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

Looks like my suspicions were correct after all. When Chris had hinted that one of the villains in the second book was mentioned in the first book, I had thought of that character (whom I now know as the enchantress) who had killed Evly's adoptive parents and imprisoned her lover in the mirror. The enchantress was supposed to have been killed by Evly's poisons, but the way it was told (dying in the woods somewhere?) left doubts as to whether she was truly dead.

I have noticed that most of the villains in fairy tales are female (such as evil witches, evil stepmothers or stepsisters). What male fairy tale villains do we actually have? I can think of Rumplestiltskin and Gaston in the Disney version of Beauty & the Beast. Any others?

I knew as soon as he tweeted that the villian torch would be "passed back to" someone. Who else could it be? Smile

I think Marie answered your questions better than I ever could, my fairy tale knowledge is really limited. But I've noticed something: They all seem to be epic dramas starring women. Yes, males are the heros, and women the damels in distress...but the men are so cardboard and one demensional, despite being the "heros". It's the women: the victims and the villians, who everyone remembers and who are really fleshed out.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 4/8/2013, 2:39 pm

I find fascinating about fairy tales that it mainly include female villains but also female protagonists. So, there is a pretty even distribution. The male characters, quite a few times, are actually the bland, boring ones . Of course their are exceptions, but the most popular fairy tales are almost all dominated by female characters.

I'm excited to see what may happen to Connor and Trollbella. I wonder if it might be Beauty and Beast in reverse? I'd totally love that and would worship Chris forever and ever!
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 4/8/2013, 3:39 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:I find fascinating about fairy tales that it mainly include female villains but also female protagonists. So, there is a pretty even distribution. The male characters, quite a few times, are actually the bland, boring ones . Of course their are exceptions, but the most popular fairy tales are almost all dominated by female characters.

I'm excited to see what may happen to Connor and Trollbella. I wonder if it might be Beauty and Beast in reverse? I'd totally love that and would worship Chris forever and ever!

Oooh! That will be interesting!

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top