General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  brisallie on 5/24/2013, 8:37 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:Doesn't Darren have Asian roots also?

Filipino to be precise, so yes. He's kind of a mutt. Razz

Beautiful. I love it. We're all "mutts" and I think it's gorgeous.

Right. I love it too. Well being latinamerican it means we're "mutt". (Didn't heard that word before btw)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 5/24/2013, 8:38 pm

they say that the people with the most beautiful and attractive features have a pronounced mixed heritage. one of the reasons why so many miss world titles go to middle and south american countries like mexico, venezuela and brazil.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/24/2013, 9:02 pm

tanita_mors wrote:they say that the people with the most beautiful and attractive features have a pronounced mixed heritage. one of the reasons why so many miss world titles go to middle and south american countries like mexico, venezuela and brazil.

But apart of that, at least in the case of Venezuela, they prepare since a young age to compete in Miss World. Well they also are naturally beauty. And being more shallow, I think brazilian men are very handsome. Is good to see soap operas.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 5/25/2013, 12:10 am

tanita_mors wrote:they say that the people with the most beautiful and attractive features have a pronounced mixed heritage. one of the reasons why so many miss world titles go to middle and south american countries like mexico, venezuela and brazil.

Oh, yes. I can see that.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 5/25/2013, 4:35 am

ColdFlame96 wrote:I've always thought Lea was kind of adorable. She's so hyperactive and crazy that it seems like she's high half the time.

Funny how opinions differ. I always like that. But I have a very different perception and believe she puts on a show when she in on a public event. I also don’t believe rumors would be around for such a long time in case they are untrue. I don't mind it usually as I can understand when actors want to separate private and public life, but I sense a insincerity about her I just don't like. Personally I believe all the diva rumors. But of course I can be very wrong.

BTW, I am entirely German :( . Pale and everything. I'd love some ethic mix.
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 on 5/25/2013, 12:17 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:I've always thought Lea was kind of adorable. She's so hyperactive and crazy that it seems like she's high half the time.

Funny how opinions differ. I always like that. But I have a very different perception and believe she puts on a show when she in on a public event. I also don’t believe rumors would be around for such a long time in case they are untrue. I don't mind it usually as I can understand when actors want to separate private and public life, but I sense a insincerity about her I just don't like. Personally I believe all the diva rumors. But of course I can be very wrong.

BTW, I am entirely German :( . Pale and everything. I'd love some ethic mix.

Yes, I can understand that. I feel the same way about Darren. I just find him incredibly fake for some reason and kind of an attention whore.

Btw, I'm the same way. I'm pure European so I burn really easily.
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina on 5/25/2013, 1:49 pm

I am probably naive but I believe all the Glee cast are more or less nice people. I like Lea, she seems very talented, intelligent, professiona, entertaining (and to me also adorable) person. I believe she can be a drama queen and loves the attention but I don't believe she is such a diva the media has been trying to portray her. She also seems to get along very well with all the co-stars and i love how she is always supporting them, she seems well aware she is not the only one people are interested in and it is not only about her. Also while I don't know Cory either he seems like one of the most humble and least egoistic people in the cast and I cannot imagine him dating someone so bad. The same about her best friend. Jon Groff seems such a sweetheart, would he be best friend for years with someone with such a diva attitude?

arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/25/2013, 6:37 pm

Samuel cut his dreadlocks. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, tbh.....
(I kinda liked his dreadlocks)

And since we talked about Kurt/Chris taking off his shirt or not, due to his new instagram picture, seeing this picture of Samuel makes me glad that so far Chris hasn't felt the need to do so for a photoshoot. Rolling Eyes

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 on 5/25/2013, 6:44 pm

Glorfindel wrote:Samuel cut his dreadlocks. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, tbh.....

And since we talked about Kurt/Chris taking off his shirt or not, due to his new instagram picture, seeing this picture of Samuel makes me glad that so far Chris hasn't felt the need to do so for a photoshoot. Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't want Chris to do a shirtless photoshoot. I think it's tacky. And honestly, I liked Sam's dreads. He pulled them off surprisingly well.

I'm just hoping that he'll be hanging out with Will over the summer and take his shirt off when he gets hot and Will will take a picture. Who else would've taken the sexy picture from yesterday? Smile
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/25/2013, 7:28 pm

Glorfindel wrote:Samuel cut his dreadlocks. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, tbh.....

A change isn't never bad, so I approve this, but I insist that still I don't get used to his short hair. His dreadlocks were his trademark. And speaking of the shirtless pic, he has good abs, I granted. But it doesn't provoke nothing on me, and though I think people are free to do any photoshoot they want, covered up to the neck or shirtless. By other side I think is a cheap way to sell the image of "sexy".

Actually I came across with this other pic and I liked more. He's showing he's abs, but at the same time is more casual

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 5/25/2013, 7:58 pm

I have mixed feelings about the diva rumors. On one hand, Lea's persona seems fake and those rumors have been with her for so long. On the other hand, Chris seems to adore her...so why would he associate with someone who is a horrible person in real life?

Those pictures of Samuel do nothing for me. The only one I like is that last one, and that's because of the bright, blue water in that pool. It's looks wonderful...now I really want to go swimming.

I also don't know how to feel if Chris were ever to do a shirtless photoshoot. Yes, it would be sexy...but it's also so cheap. Why does everyone (men and women) have to sell sex? What about great talent, creating great art and working hard? What I love about Chris is that he uses his brains and his talent, not his body. I respect him and people like him.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/25/2013, 8:20 pm

@MoviesAreLife, also I've thought that Lea can't be that diva the rumours say she's. Because as you pointed, Chris seems to adores her and apparently they're friends in real life too, so why does he get along with someone like her?

Why people have to sell sex? That's something I've wondered for years. And coincidentally, I was watching TV yesterday and a reconigzed actor of my country was talking of how some young actors are chosen to work on TV only because their good looking appearance. And he was criticizing the same, why don't choose people because of their talent instead?. But you know, besides of his appearance, and this sth I read somewhere else about another person, Chris has the confident that he's also a talented boy.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 5/26/2013, 4:26 pm

It's like...people have been selling sex since the beginning of entertainment, and I'm just so numb to it and sick of it. It doesn't take a special person to take their clothes off. It does, however, take a special person to create art. Part of the appeal of Chris is that he's one of the few of his peers who doesn't take it all off for the camera. Less is more.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 on 5/26/2013, 4:34 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:It's like...people have been selling sex since the beginning of entertainment, and I'm just so numb to it and sick of it. It doesn't take a special person to take their clothes off. It does, however, take a special person to create art. Part of the appeal of Chris is that he's one of the few of his peers who doesn't take it all off for the camera. Less is more.

OTOH, as much as we love that he respects himself enough to not sell his body, it's also freaking torturous for his most perverted devoted fans. Laughing
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 5/26/2013, 4:41 pm

Yes! LOL! I know what you mean! I wouldn't mind if he did it once in a blue moon, I'm just glad he doesn't do that sort of thing every chance he gets.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 1:35 pm

Re: Divas -- I can say nothing about Lea and her diva reputation beyond what second-hand info comes through the rumor-mill.

I can say I once worked with a ten-year-old child-actor who *sabotaged her understudy,* *actively tortured me,* and *tried to get me fired.* Sometimes these rumors start very early, and sometimes the behaviors are overlooked or never remarked upon except in a tiny circle.

One cannot know what is behind a public persona without having extended contact with said famous person. Only those who are around Lea/Cory/Chris/all the others at work and/or in their private lives are actually going to know anything about what they are like as people. Fan encounters and co-workers' public statements about whomever mean very little, since it would be bad publicity to talk trash about your castmates.

It's a sad part of the entertainment business. Some wonderful people are torn to pieces by the public, and some terrible people are idolized or fly under the radar. Only those whose day-to-day lives are affected by those people's behavior really know.

That said, I am certain there are a few terrible divas who make the lives of those they work with hell who are also wonderful sons, daughters, mothers, friends . . . people are people, and they are complicated.

Part of what makes me so sad about this media circus is that we get the illusion of knowing performers, when really we are merely consuming a product. We have the power to make celebrities' lives worse (and of helping bring them success), but no matter how much we consume and demand and receive, we are still going to be no closer to knowing the truth about them. Only bits and pieces, and those bits and pieces may be misleading.

:-(

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/27/2013, 2:00 pm

I'm agree that we only know the quarter part of celebrities life, and we based our opinion on what we see on interviews or lately what they write in their twitter. And I'm not sure if this's the best example, because it could have been edited, but yesterday I saw Beyonce's documentary and she said that sometimes people don't understand how is the real life of celebs. Everybody think is amazing, but they forget they're also human being. She also spoke about rumours and how the press sometimes make up an image of someone.

@AnneNeville, what did you do when that kid treated you so rude? Was her mom there? (I just had a deja vu moment)

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 2:40 pm

brisallie wrote:
I'm agree that we only know the quarter part of celebrities life, and we based our opinion on what we see on interviews or lately what they write in their twitter. And I'm not sure if this's the best example, because it could have been edited, but yesterday I saw Beyonce's documentary and she said that sometimes people don't understand how is the real life of celebs. Everybody think is amazing, but they forget they're also human being. She also spoke about rumours and how the press sometimes make up an image of someone.

@AnneNeville, what did you do when that kid treated you so rude? Was her mom there? (I just had a deja vu moment)

What deja vu moment?

Yes, her mom was there. She was one of the people she would run to to say I was sleeping on the job, etc (fortunately, I'd be ten steps behind her, and her mom would see me walk up right after the kid told the lie).

Actually, her mom tried to push us together and insisted that her daughter idolized me. Well, perhaps she did! She tried to copy me a lot.

But she also did everything she could to sabotage me doing my job. More things than I can list. And then there were the little things: after I mentioned what kind of candy I liked best, she took all those candies out of the communal candy-bowl. For weeks after, she'd make a big show of giving that candy away to other people in front of me, saying only people she liked could have it. And it wasn't innocent--I could see her watching me as she did it, to see how I'd react. (Hopefully, I didn't show my reaction on my face. I certainly didn't SAY anything to reward her behavior.)

What did I do? When my contract ran out, I resigned instead of staying on for the run of the show. I didn't even have a job to move on to! I'd been driven to the point of having nightmares, and I thought that if I kept myself in that situation any longer she'd provoke me (always when others were not looking) into shouting or losing my temper, and then my reputation would have been ruined. It was a high profile production.

Only a few people backstage knew what was going on. Her mom knew (I am sure). Also, the head stage manager knew--he's the one who right out said to me that he knew what was going on, that I was being singled out to be "tortured." He couldn't do anything, though, except tell me to keep him up to date on what she was doing.

As far as I know, this particular child-star who has gone on to do more has *a good reputation.* That may be because she learned early to pick out the weakest targets (me and her younger understudy) and hide her behaviors VERY WELL. However, I doubt that level of premeditated malice is outgrown or overcome without serious intervention/therapy.

The persistant rumor about Lea during Ragtime is not too far off from my experience with this other child-star--just far less skillful because it got out to the rest of the cast/crew and the Bway community as a whole. They still remember and make oblique references to the event.

However, as I pointed out above, a person can be a nightmare to work with and might perhaps still be lovely to fans, or lovely to their friends and family. Conversely, someone can be lovely to work with but bad with fans or even an abuser to their family and friends.

It is also possible to grow up. It's just . . . hard to get that perspective if you're being *pushed to be a star* from childhood. You miss out on all kinds of important formative experiences, and the entertainment field can be terribly cruel. I felt very sympathetic towards the girl I worked with . . . seeing what her life was like . . . until I became her target.

Last edited by AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 5/27/2013, 2:46 pm

What are the stories with Lea and 'Ragtime'?
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 3:12 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:What are the stories with Lea and 'Ragtime'?

I'm putting this under a spoiler tag, since not everyone will want to read.

Spoiler:
The posters on BroadwayWorld never tell it outright, or if they have it is so far back in the archives that it is considered common knowledge. A few posters there claim to have worked with her (and it's credible--I know people in the biz who post on these sites). The keywords they use for whatever happened are around the lines of "Lea during Ragtime," "eliminate rivals," "understudy," "triple-threat," and "hot tea."

Always "hot tea." I think the implication is clear, anyway.

Considering Lea's age during Ragtime (and therefore her understudy's), it's scary. Is it a lie? I don't know. It could be. If the implied occurrence it is true, is it behavior that is long, long outgrown? Possibly, hopefully. Although I have never questioned anyone here about Lea, I have yet to hear anyone say anything positive when her name is mentioned. More like "Oh no, not her" or "I hide in my office until she's gone."

When there are a lot of stories accumulating over 16 years, that's a red-flag.

Again--it could be that this is just a professional behavior, if it is real. Could be that in private life, she's lovely. I've certainly seen people who I worked with (who are lovely) accused of being divas and snobs online. I've also had to recognize that some of my actor-friends whom I have idolized since I was a teen (and DO KNOW PERSONALLY) have bad reputations in terms of their professional behavior. That stings, because I see their good sides.

Their good sides apparently do not go to work with them.

I would like to note that the vast majority of famous and somewhat famous people I've met and worked with (out of a not-gigantic but bigger-than-average sample) have been absolutely lovely to deal with, or if they were sometimes difficult, it was in a "stressed person having a bad day" kind of way.

Again, the truth is we are never going to know even a fraction of what our favorite celebrities are actually like. Rumors (even over a decade's worth) can be wrong (Richard Gere/Hamster). Public masks can be very carefully maintained (child-star who tortured me--and I'm sure I'm not the only target she ever had).

On the other hand, I haven't seen any real correlation between fame-level and diva-ness. The most famous man I ever worked with has a terrible reputation and is one of the best people I know. His reputation comes from making politically and linguistically controversial work.

ETA: To try to tie this in with the other posts I've made today, I think it's sometimes best to take ten steps back the fame-machine. Sometimes fandom feeds a monster, and sometimes it really wrecks lives. It is so hard not to begin to participate, to attach to a star whom you love (in theory from what you see). I'm guilty on all sides except for Real Person Shipping (I think).

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 on 5/27/2013, 3:30 pm

Oh, I agree our perception does not equal the truth. But thank you for sharing.

I also believe female stars have it much harder, because getting a bitchy reputation can be so quickly achieved.

Spoiler:
Being really dumb now, but what does 'Hot Tea' mean?

I am so curious about whom you are talking about, even though I totally understand why you will remain silent. But thank you for sharing.
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 3:48 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Oh, I agree our perception does not equal the truth. But thank you for sharing.

I also believe female stars have it much harder, because getting a bitchy reputation can be so quickly achieved.

Spoiler:
Being really dumb now, but what does 'Hot Tea' mean?

I am so curious about whom you are talking about, even though I totally understand why you will remain silent. But thank you for sharing.

Re: Lea:

Spoiler:
As I said, if there was a post on BroadwayWorld that told the whole story explicitly, it is so far in the past or has been scrubbed so I can't find it. The implication from recurring references was that Lea's "third threat" (out of those that traditionally make one a "triple threat" star) was "hot tea" that she used somehow against her rival/understudy to incapacitate her in some way.

Ouch!

*My* nightmare child-star merely sabotaged her understudy by teaching her how to do her makeup wrong/badly and putting her up to asking busy crew-people annoying questions. The very sweet and innocent (younger) understudy got a reputation for being a "pushy brat" when she was being prompted and urged to ask those questions (result: Child-Star looked "professional," Understudy looked "unprofessional.")

I had to protect Understudy (and, as she was not targeting me, I felt warmer towards her), which might be part of why I got targeted by Child-Star.

I won't share the name of the Child-Star I worked with (who is probably more proven than Lea as a "legit"* actress, though less famous). Maybe she has gotten therapy and no longer behaves that way. Maybe she is better. Maybe *that* is why I have never heard anything bad about her since she drove me out of a job I needed for no apparent reason. Or, as I suggested, maybe she's always been smart about picking her targets.

Nor will I share the name of the TV Matinee Idol that I used as an example of the real pain even moderate intrusion into actors' private lives can cause. He had enough of that, and as far as I know he has escaped the crazy and is happy now. I hope so. He--with his humility and kindness--earned my deep respect.

* "Legit" in the sense of excellent "straight" acting, rather than musical theatre.

Last edited by AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville on 5/27/2013, 4:04 pm

It's interesting that both Samuel and Chord have had "Johnny Depp" style photos done over this hiatus.

I think we can also conclude that Glee has already filmed the first part of the first episode of Season Five, if they really ARE picking up right at the moment S4 ended. Or else we'll see that Samuel will have a dread-wig next fall!

I'd be careful about judging actors (male or female) for these photoshoots. It's a bit like Kurt's shaming of Rachel in "Naked." These shoots are another part of the fame-machine. Women definitely have it worse, of course, but almost all shoots are sexualized somehow (and so are Chris's clothed ones).

Chris may someday do a shoot like this, or he may have made a choice never to do shirtless shoots. It could be that he'd consider it now, but the only "shirtless shoots" he's been invited to do have been for lgbqt-oriented magazines that might make his future job-seeking harder. He could swear never to do one, then meet a photographer he trusts to do it well and reconsider.

The web of fame is so complex. You end up having to play the game to a lesser or greater extent. Chris seems to play it to a lesser extent.

I can't help but think that Chris might even like to get rid of twitter completely--but that's a PR tool. I doubt his team would let him unless he caused a major dust-up about it.

I wonder if he'd be safer without it. Without sharing pictures and tidbits. I'm glad that account is mostly cats, fish, and baked goods. They seem the safest subjects. *

* On the other hand, his team may use Twitter as a tool for tracking and keeping files on dangerous stalkers.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 5/27/2013, 6:01 pm

AnneNeville wrote:

What deja vu moment?

Yes, her mom was there. She was one of the people she would run to to say I was sleeping on the job, etc (fortunately, I'd be ten steps behind her, and her mom would see me walk up right after the kid told the lie).

Actually, her mom tried to push us together and insisted that her daughter idolized me. Well, perhaps she did! She tried to copy me a lot.

But she also did everything she could to sabotage me doing my job. More things than I can list. And then there were the little things: after I mentioned what kind of candy I liked best, she took all those candies out of the communal candy-bowl. For weeks after, she'd make a big show of giving that candy away to other people in front of me, saying only people she liked could have it. And it wasn't innocent--I could see her watching me as she did it, to see how I'd react. (Hopefully, I didn't show my reaction on my face. I certainly didn't SAY anything to reward her behavior.)

What did I do? When my contract ran out, I resigned instead of staying on for the run of the show. I didn't even have a job to move on to! I'd been driven to the point of having nightmares, and I thought that if I kept myself in that situation any longer she'd provoke me (always when others were not looking) into shouting or losing my temper, and then my reputation would have been ruined. It was a high profile production.

Only a few people backstage knew what was going on. Her mom knew (I am sure). Also, the head stage manager knew--he's the one who right out said to me that he knew what was going on, that I was being singled out to be "tortured." He couldn't do anything, though, except tell me to keep him up to date on what she was doing.

As far as I know, this particular child-star who has gone on to do more has *a good reputation.* That may be because she learned early to pick out the weakest targets (me and her younger understudy) and hide her behaviors VERY WELL. However, I doubt that level of premeditated malice is outgrown or overcome without serious intervention/therapy.

The persistant rumor about Lea during Ragtime is not too far off from my experience with this other child-star--just far less skillful because it got out to the rest of the cast/crew and the Bway community as a whole. They still remember and make oblique references to the event.

However, as I pointed out above, a person can be a nightmare to work with and might perhaps still be lovely to fans, or lovely to their friends and family. Conversely, someone can be lovely to work with but bad with fans or even an abuser to their family and friends.

It is also possible to grow up. It's just . . . hard to get that perspective if you're being *pushed to be a star* from childhood. You miss out on all kinds of important formative experiences, and the entertainment field can be terribly cruel. I felt very sympathetic towards the girl I worked with . . . seeing what her life was like . . . until I became her target.

I felt like once before I asked you about a nasty situation you went through while your working. Similar to the one with the brat kid.

And for me the parents are responsible of the kids behaviour, because it doesn't matter where they work or what status they have, they have to learn how to treat everyone by equal. In addition, being in the stardom isn't something that will last forever. And though I still thinking that woman should have apologized, and admit she was acting more like a kid that his child. You did the best when you resigned, isn't good for anyone to work in a place you aren't comfortable.

And I was googling, and Lea was in Ragtime around 1998, so she had 12/13 years old, right? At that age, they're practically teenagers, so they think they're right in everything. And Lea herself have said she was very "Rachel Berry" when she was younger. So probably she had this diva attitude back then, but was a moment in her life and through the years she has grown up and deal better with this stuff. (hopefully)

As regards shirtless photoshoots, personally I don't mind if the context is well stablished. For instance I mentioned I liked the one of Samuel next to the pool because it was more like casual, and if he weren't wearing that blue shirt, I would have thought the same. But I understand the point that usually is worse for women. I remember when a couple of years ago Cory, Lea and Diana did the GQ photoshoot and was such a fuss. I remember the harsh comments were toward the girls, because they exposed more and is truth, but what if Cory would have exposed more skin? The criticism would have been the same?.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/30/2013, 10:37 am

10 Reasons Why Glee Is Failing: whatculture.com

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top