General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 2:22 am

Anyone does read the Glee reviews? I read on Glee forum reviewers like this season and say its's the best one since season 1 which shocked me. So I would like to know if that's true.
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Lottie2303 on 3/20/2013, 2:49 am

I actually LOVE Season 4 until epsiode 13. It was a much fairer allocation of songs and storylines. Kurt, while not always present, got quite a bit of time devoted to NYADA. The crush storyline for Tina and Blaine started to change a lot in the overall theme of development.

Now, in retrospect i realize his lack of storyline for Kurt during the cheating storyline. Also, since a few episodes there has been a clear shift in the show. It feels like they got lazy by just focusing on a very limited number of characters. By sidelining Kurt (Rachel and Santana) they basically highlight the flaws. But highlighting them (the scenes with Adam during the snowstorm) they have no choice but to admit the glaring differences in acting and quality. Glee wants to focus on MK. Whatever they do, it is a lose/lose. NYC will always be demanded/superior. Hence, they give them silly stuff to do to please the fans, but not to serious storylines to endanger MK entirely. Does this make sense?
avatar
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3191
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : the real Land of Stories

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 3:12 am

Maybe it's because I am focused mainly on Rachel, Kurt (and Finn) I was very disappointed since the start. I expected alot from Vogue storyline, not Kurt getting there and successing in one episode, it was very rushed and unrealistic. While I longed for Klaine's breakup for a long time, the cheating came of nowhere without proper build-up. NYADA't storyline for Rachel was just about arguing with Cassandra in dance class. The fact Rachel got the gold ticket the second after we found it exists withouth seeing her preparation for it or we did not see Kurt preparing for his audition, how I am supposed to enjoy their success if it's completely without gradual development (of course Kurt losing storylines always took couple of episodes) Also I did not like the fact that they let Rachel win the showcase in her first semester, I thought that it would much better to let her lose this time and let her try to get better to win it next time. I also did not expect them to be so isolated from all the other characters. And unfortunatel I don't remember Kurt havin quite a time devoted to Nyada. The New York storylines really did not make much sense to me, it all seemed rushed, uninteresting, just to give them something to do to make fans happy they are at least on their screen. there were nothing that would make me rewatch the scene or make me excited for continuing in the next episodes.

I expect this year to be big year for Artie and Tina, insead the main focus gets my least favorite character. And I personally did not enjoy the songs that much either. And I don't like much the newsbies, they seem rather like blander copies of the old characters and their main storylines are about triangles drama which Glee has overload already. So McKinley don't make my happy either.

So I am really surprised so many people have been enjoying it but it's probably that people prefer different characters and prefer different kind of storylines than me. But I personaly really did not except the reviews to be positive maybe becase I am not used to read anything positive about Glee. :-)
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Lottie2303 on 3/20/2013, 3:30 am

I agree about the lack of NYC, Vogue and Rachels win was too soon and too forced. But at that point I was sincerely assuming that NYC and Kurt would get more storyline in the second half. I expected the first half to be about Blaines reaction to the break-up and the then shift to Kurt and how he manages. CWM was like the final punch that I was wrong and I had no choice but to acknowledge the flaws of the season.

Still, there have been some great episodes this season. The comments of reviews also start to change. I predict the second half of this season will not be remembered highly.
avatar
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3191
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : the real Land of Stories

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 3:33 am

Lottie2303 wrote:I agree about the lack of NYC, Vogue and Rachels win was too soon and too forced. But at that point I was sincerely assuming that NYC and Kurt would get more storyline in the second half. I expected the first half to be about Blaines reaction to the break-up and the then shift to Kurt and how he manages. CWM was like the final punch that I was wrong and I had no choice but to acknowledge the flaws of the season.

Still, there have been some great episodes this season. The comments of reviews also start to change. I predict the second half of this season will not be remembered highly.
What episodes did you like the most? I am curious. :-)
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Glorfindel on 3/20/2013, 4:55 am

arina wrote:Anyone does read the Glee reviews? I read on Glee forum reviewers like this season and say its's the best one since season 1 which shocked me. So I would like to know if that's true.
I read most reviews. It's a bit difficult to say either way, tbh. Some of them are always positive and flailing over the romances and Blaine/Blam/noobs. Some are more critical. It's obvious which review sites are depending on Fox (for spoilers and interviews and such) and therefore kiss their behinds.
I think the AE reviews have become more critical, and surprisingly are not 100% behind Klaine all the time anymore, or at least enamored with Adam: that's a positive change, I think.

What is very important in 'counting' the reviews positive or negative is that a lot of respected reviewers already have given up on Glee and do not make reviews anymore. Only the yay-sayers are still reviewing, while the more critical ones simply don't bother anymore, or are too disappointed/frustrated about Glee to go on.
So the statement/view that Glee gets better reviews now than before is quite skewed, as the most of the reviewers now are not the same as in previous seasons, plus the ones remaining are not that critical or in Glee's pocket.
For instance: the AV club review of last episode that was referred to on GF (which gave 'Feud' and A-) was not written by the original Glee reviewer there, but someone new (who only started this season I believe). The old one just gave up and the new one is the "always stay positive" kind, although I'm not completely sure about that.

Honestly? Citing reviews is like citing the Bible: an affirmation of your own plight can be found for both sides of an argument. The A- of the VA club 'Feud' review is now conveniently used by Blaine/Lima-lovers as 'proof' that season 4 is the best season eva!!!11!, but the fans doing that don't show the negative reviews.
Same goes for e.g. 'all' the praise for Blaine/Darren, when there is plenty of praise for the others to compensate and most of the praise for Darren was for 1 scene: his acoustic 'Teenage Dream' in TBU. It is therefore no surprise that next episode will have another similar scene and acoustic song: RIB is doing their damnest to get Darren more of that critical 'acclaim'. dryy


What is more interesting about the review sites is not the reviews themselves but the comments. There are a lot of negative comments, more than before I think. Most of those comments are complaining about Blee and state that they want Glee to drop the Lima part and move to NY completely.
Sometimes the reviewers get called out for writing too positive, and even for twisting what happened in canon to fit their own (romantic) agendas. They also comment on e.g. leaving out Kurt, both in the show itself as sometimes in the recaps and reviews, or how they interpret (wrong) what he is supposedly feeling about Blaine.

The complaints about Glee are widespread and comes from fans and media, I have no doubt. But unlike most fans the part of the media that think Glee is bad now don't keep talking about their legit criticism: they have just stopped writing about Glee.


Last edited by Glorfindel on 3/20/2013, 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 5:34 am

Thank you, these are very interesting points about reviews and it makes sense. I am kinda isolated here or on KHAT on gleeforum and very rarely look somewhere else. But yesterday I read discussion somehwere and was surprised that most of the people there have very different opinion than me and want to actually drop the New York side And I am not even personally totall supporter of New York over Lima, I think both sides have big problems, the Lima sides has of course the advantage now of having much more characters, so there is more difersity (although I mostly feel there are only four - Blaine, Sam, Marley, Jake) and also it's the side when the writers trying more (even though it's also very repetitive and the love trinages are things I care the least about, McKinley is just typical highschool show now).

But I did not except people there to be that satisfied with the way Lima works now and in season 2 it was "it's Kurt' show" crap all the time (even though he was not there THAT much). And dropping New York instead of maybe finally let it develop properly?

Anyway I am really curious what will happen next year, what legendary ideas they will come with again... I am not ver positive they woud cut the Lima part, I cannot imagine they would let Jayma, Matthew and especially Jane Lynch go even though they don't give them anything interesting to do and the writers just seem to prefer McKinley very much...

And I am also curios who all is going to New York, unfortunately the one who already mentioned on the show is the only one I really don't want there. And when people say Kurt's fans should be looking forward to Blaine coming to New York because that is when Kurt gets storyline. Seriously, when and how we (and he) have got into this situation? :(


Last edited by arina on 3/20/2013, 5:47 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  coxfire on 3/20/2013, 5:38 am

[quote="Glorfindel"]
arina wrote:For instance: the AV club review of last episode that was referred to on GF (which gave 'Feud' and A-) was not written by the original Glee reviewer there, but someone new (who only started this season I believe). The old one just gave up and the new one is the "always stay positive" kind, although I'm not completely sure about that.

Honestly? Citing reviews is like citing the Bible: an affirmation of your own plight can be found for both sides of an argument. The A- of the VA club 'Feud' review is now conveniently used by Blaine/Lima-lovers as 'proof' that season 4 is the best season eva!!!11!, but the fans doing that don't show the negative reviews.

This A- is laughable. Really? Feud was on par with "Mattresses"? With "Sectionals"? With "Wheels"? With "Preggers"? With "Grilled Chessus"? What a joke! Were there any personnal development in it? Did it require fantastic acting for one of its protagonists? Did it end up on a exhilarating sense of victory for any of the characters?

This A- is a "realtive A-" compare to the quality of this season, that's all. As for knowing if this season is the best since S1, it depends how you see S2 and S3, but S1 definitely blows it out of the water, and I personnaly, would never rate this season as the best of Glee.

I've always thought that a good show needed either good character-driven storylines or plot-driven storylines. Glee provides NONE of these this season.
Character-wise, what do we have? Back in the days, the kids were defined by their idiosyncrasies and who they wanted to be. Rachel wanted to outgrow her status of outcast and become a star. As annoying as she could get, you could still admire her for her drive, for her will and her strong belief that she would do it. Kurt wanted to be respected for who he was and get out of Lima. Puck wanted to be seen as something else than a Lima looser and even tried to change to raise his baby girl. Finn learned how to be popular without being a jerk (even if it was hard). Quinn had to deal with teen pregnancy, tina wanted to rise above her shyness and finally have friends, Artie wanted to be seen as more than a cripple, Mercedes wanted to prove that black/overweight woman could be strong and independant. The Glee Club was therefore THE place where they could express it, be who they were, and the songs they used to sing always encapsulated their feelings towards it.

The success of Glee was partly due to the fact that outcast, or not popular kids watching in the audience could relate to these kids. Now the Glee Club members are all bland cardboard models whose goal in life we don't know about besides "Who am I going to date next?"
Seriously, who, in McKinley is defined other than by this? Blaine: sorry, but his storyline is basically "I cheated on my BF and am making new friends in McKinley", beyond that, it's ZIP. Sam: "I'm dating Brittany and Blaine is my best gaybro". Tina "I'm a bitchy hag-y diva". Jake: "I'm dating Marley, Ryder is my friend". Marley: "I'm torn between Jake and Ryder, and sometimes put my fingers down my throat to puke". Kitty: "I'm EVIL, except when I'm not". Unique (who was the kid with the potentially most intersting SL) : "I'm transgender". Brittany : "I broke up with Santana and I date Sam (and I'm dumb"). Artie/Joe/Sugar: "...". Do you call it intersting storylines? What is at stake here? Is there a sense of personal or individual develoment? Does the story inspire you? Is any of these characters GENUINELY interesting? Do I root for them? NO.

The problem is that they applied this formula to the NY side. Instead of showing us Rachel learning, being confronted to equal/better talents than hers, or her and Kurt learning to live by themselves and together, we were reduced to "Feud with Cassie July, pining over Finn/Brody. And a quick unsatisfactory win with no build up" for Rachel and "Break up with Blaine, quick acceptance to NYADA, potential new boyfriend who is doomed because of the goddammit "KLAINE 4EVER soulamtes" crap" for Kurt.

Talking about him, they had the opportunity to tell an interesting story, by having him into fashion. Why didn't we see him have to fight off 1 or 2 other people to get the internship into Vogue? And why didn't they continue what they hinted at with the wonderfully REALISTIC and oh si true line of Isabelle "Dreams can change". Why not show us a Kurt who, despite still wanting to be a performer, discovered that he had a REAL talent for fashion and have him realize that maybe his passion was fashion? Why not have him doubt, hesitate between the two?

Why didn't we see Rachel try to rehearse for her auditions? Why didn't we see her audition or have a negative but constructing feedback about her performances?

Why didn't we have more scenes at Callbacks? I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana have a night out together in New York and see them party hard, JUST LIKE STUDENTS DO (because, come on, wouldn't you try to enjoy frigging New York?)?

So, basically, neither the plot not the characters are well written this year, and the songs are seriously decreasing in quality, and in their relevance to the stories. So calling the best Glee season? What a bloody joke.
avatar
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 641
Join date : 2012-09-18
Real Name : Mel

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 5:43 am

Coxfire: Love your post and absolutely agree!

And being torn between fanshion and performing is definitely something I would have like to see. So was his struggling little bit to get the intership in Vogue. :(

For me personaly the first season and the start of second season are the best, then there is a big gap, then the rest of the season two and I cannot choose between third and forth, I'll make opinion when I'll see all the episodes. There are definitely things I like this year more than the last year but there are also things that I enjoyed last year better (If I can tal in connection to Glee about enjoying).
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Glorfindel on 3/20/2013, 6:02 am

@coxfire: Now tell us how you really feel. fanny2

Joking aside, I agree with you completely, Mel.
The reviewer who rated 'Feud' with an A- has either never seen season 1 or has drunk too much of the kool-aid.
Or both. moque

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 6:08 am

I think we all had to lower our demands for quality. It's like when I watch How I Met Your Mother now and say "this episode was kinda good for a change" but if the same episode was in season 1 I wouldn't like it at all because I would be used to much better quality. The reviewers probably also forgot how good Glee used to be and are used to the crap it's now so they celebrate every little brigher moment. Or they really did never saw tha old Glee.

Even those episode in season 1 I did not care for earlier now seem like so good to me.


Last edited by arina on 3/20/2013, 6:12 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  coxfire on 3/20/2013, 6:09 am

Glorfindel wrote:@coxfire: Now tell us how you really feel. fanny2

Oh, silly me. I looooooved the episode and more particularly Blaine's ASS close-up! Soooooooooooo purfuuuuuct!!! (aaaaaaaand now I have to go puking)
avatar
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 641
Join date : 2012-09-18
Real Name : Mel

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Lottie2303 on 3/20/2013, 6:28 am

arina wrote:
Lottie2303 wrote:I agree about the lack of NYC, Vogue and Rachels win was too soon and too forced. But at that point I was sincerely assuming that NYC and Kurt would get more storyline in the second half. I expected the first half to be about Blaines reaction to the break-up and the then shift to Kurt and how he manages. CWM was like the final punch that I was wrong and I had no choice but to acknowledge the flaws of the season.

Still, there have been some great episodes this season. The comments of reviews also start to change. I predict the second half of this season will not be remembered highly.
What episodes did you like the most? I am curious. :-)

I know I am the minority, but I liked:

- The New Rachel
- Episode 3 (forgot the title. I named it the Kurt episode. Even though you can argue VOGUE was too fast and much, I still enjoyed it)
- The Break-Up
- Dynamic Duets
- Swan Song
- Diva (the NYC part)
- The NYC episode of the loft being snowed in (but only the NYC part)

Hated:
- Naked
- Britney 2.0
- The Role you were born to play
- Feud
- The MK part in the episode of the loft being snowed in
- Glee, actually
avatar
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3191
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : the real Land of Stories

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Glorfindel on 3/20/2013, 6:42 am

coxfire wrote:Oh, silly me. I looooooved the episode and more particularly Blaine's ASS close-up! Soooooooooooo purfuuuuuct!!! (aaaaaaaand now I have to go puking)
I'll hold your hair out of the way while you puke. fanny2

Wow, that must have hurt writing down. Razz

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  coxfire on 3/20/2013, 6:55 am

I'll hold your hair out of the way while you puke. fanny2

Thank you so much, I know I can count on people in here

Wow, that must have hurt writing down. Razz
I'l thinking about cuttin, burnin or bleaching my fingers now. It also hurt my eyes pretty bad re-reading it. I need therapy, now.
avatar
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 641
Join date : 2012-09-18
Real Name : Mel

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 6:58 am

People, I am really glad you're here, because reading your comments definitely makes the show more enjoyable. Smile
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  brisallie on 3/20/2013, 1:45 pm

arina wrote:Anyone does read the Glee reviews? I read on Glee forum reviewers like this season and say its's the best one since season 1 which shocked me. So I would like to know if that's true.

Rarely I read Glee reviews, actually I've forgotten which was the las one. But who are those reviewers? I'd believe in one who has followed this series since season one. But then I think that each person has their own point of view, actually I've read comments from some gleeks who believe this season has been better than last one, while other people think it sucks. Personally I think this season has been a mess, though I won't deny they have been regular episodes such as episode 9 and Thanksgiving, but is my point of view as a gleek. And sometimes as a fan your expectations are higher, so that why you dislike what you're watching, or you're blind and like everything. Whilst GA don't care so much about it, because they're not attached.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________


I currently obsessed with this
avatar
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 5797
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : latinamerica
Real Name : Romina

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Lottie2303 on 3/20/2013, 2:08 pm

Woah, TVLINE, a website I always considered Blaine-comment friendly is intense. Read the comments about the released WHAM video. There is a lot of displease about Blaine, Sam and their overexposure. This time, it seems Glee is really pushing it. It feels like since a few weeks you can literally watch the fandom getting impatient, angrier and more demanding to finally stop Blee/Blam. It is a rather fascinating process, if it just wouldn't piss me of so much ohmy .
avatar
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3191
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : the real Land of Stories

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 2:50 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:

I know I am the minority, but I liked:

- The New Rachel
- Episode 3 (forgot the title. I named it the Kurt episode. Even though you can argue VOGUE was too fast and much, I still enjoyed it)
- The Break-Up
- Dynamic Duets
- Swan Song
- Diva (the NYC part)
- The NYC episode of the loft being snowed in (but only the NYC part)

That is really kinda alot :-)
I think the only episode I truly enjoyed this season that it even made me rewatch it was Break-up and even then I had complaints, like the newbies storyline, cheating coming out of nowhere and being kinda forced etc... but that episode had three excellent music numbers for me (Dont't speak, Mine and The scientist) that exceptionally really served the storylines and wasn't just songs without context, finally there was Furt scene and and it all was just nicely put together and Britanna break-up made me even cry which really surprised me because I have never been fan of Britanna...

I biasedly prefer episodes like Make-over, Diva or Swan song over the others because of course the more scenes with Kurt the better for me , but still I was not impressed how it all was handled and how terribly rushed it was. so it wast just seeing Kurt that made me happy, not the writing. And sadly nothing even close to those excellent kurt's episodes of season 1 and season 2 for me. :(
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  MoviesAreLife on 3/20/2013, 2:53 pm

[quote="coxfire"]
Glorfindel wrote:
arina wrote:For instance: the AV club review of last episode that was referred to on GF (which gave 'Feud' and A-) was not written by the original Glee reviewer there, but someone new (who only started this season I believe). The old one just gave up and the new one is the "always stay positive" kind, although I'm not completely sure about that.

Honestly? Citing reviews is like citing the Bible: an affirmation of your own plight can be found for both sides of an argument. The A- of the VA club 'Feud' review is now conveniently used by Blaine/Lima-lovers as 'proof' that season 4 is the best season eva!!!11!, but the fans doing that don't show the negative reviews.

This A- is laughable. Really? Feud was on par with "Mattresses"? With "Sectionals"? With "Wheels"? With "Preggers"? With "Grilled Chessus"? What a joke! Were there any personnal development in it? Did it require fantastic acting for one of its protagonists? Did it end up on a exhilarating sense of victory for any of the characters?

This A- is a "realtive A-" compare to the quality of this season, that's all. As for knowing if this season is the best since S1, it depends how you see S2 and S3, but S1 definitely blows it out of the water, and I personnaly, would never rate this season as the best of Glee.

I've always thought that a good show needed either good character-driven storylines or plot-driven storylines. Glee provides NONE of these this season.
Character-wise, what do we have? Back in the days, the kids were defined by their idiosyncrasies and who they wanted to be. Rachel wanted to outgrow her status of outcast and become a star. As annoying as she could get, you could still admire her for her drive, for her will and her strong belief that she would do it. Kurt wanted to be respected for who he was and get out of Lima. Puck wanted to be seen as something else than a Lima looser and even tried to change to raise his baby girl. Finn learned how to be popular without being a jerk (even if it was hard). Quinn had to deal with teen pregnancy, tina wanted to rise above her shyness and finally have friends, Artie wanted to be seen as more than a cripple, Mercedes wanted to prove that black/overweight woman could be strong and independant. The Glee Club was therefore THE place where they could express it, be who they were, and the songs they used to sing always encapsulated their feelings towards it.

The success of Glee was partly due to the fact that outcast, or not popular kids watching in the audience could relate to these kids. Now the Glee Club members are all bland cardboard models whose goal in life we don't know about besides "Who am I going to date next?"
Seriously, who, in McKinley is defined other than by this? Blaine: sorry, but his storyline is basically "I cheated on my BF and am making new friends in McKinley", beyond that, it's ZIP. Sam: "I'm dating Brittany and Blaine is my best gaybro". Tina "I'm a bitchy hag-y diva". Jake: "I'm dating Marley, Ryder is my friend". Marley: "I'm torn between Jake and Ryder, and sometimes put my fingers down my throat to puke". Kitty: "I'm EVIL, except when I'm not". Unique (who was the kid with the potentially most intersting SL) : "I'm transgender". Brittany : "I broke up with Santana and I date Sam (and I'm dumb"). Artie/Joe/Sugar: "...". Do you call it intersting storylines? What is at stake here? Is there a sense of personal or individual develoment? Does the story inspire you? Is any of these characters GENUINELY interesting? Do I root for them? NO.

The problem is that they applied this formula to the NY side. Instead of showing us Rachel learning, being confronted to equal/better talents than hers, or her and Kurt learning to live by themselves and together, we were reduced to "Feud with Cassie July, pining over Finn/Brody. And a quick unsatisfactory win with no build up" for Rachel and "Break up with Blaine, quick acceptance to NYADA, potential new boyfriend who is doomed because of the goddammit "KLAINE 4EVER soulamtes" crap" for Kurt.

Talking about him, they had the opportunity to tell an interesting story, by having him into fashion. Why didn't we see him have to fight off 1 or 2 other people to get the internship into Vogue? And why didn't they continue what they hinted at with the wonderfully REALISTIC and oh si true line of Isabelle "Dreams can change". Why not show us a Kurt who, despite still wanting to be a performer, discovered that he had a REAL talent for fashion and have him realize that maybe his passion was fashion? Why not have him doubt, hesitate between the two?

Why didn't we see Rachel try to rehearse for her auditions? Why didn't we see her audition or have a negative but constructing feedback about her performances?

Why didn't we have more scenes at Callbacks? I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana have a night out together in New York and see them party hard, JUST LIKE STUDENTS DO (because, come on, wouldn't you try to enjoy frigging New York?)?

So, basically, neither the plot not the characters are well written this year, and the songs are seriously decreasing in quality, and in their relevance to the stories. So calling the best Glee season? What a bloody joke.

Or, why not have him do both? A person can have more than one dream and passion. He is a hell of a performer and I hate to see him give it up for fashion. No

I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana partying and having fun in NYC! It is a part of young adult life. But there is no way Glee would show that. People would be in an uproar with their "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1" lines ready.

The way you described the newbies and their storylines is just hilarious. It is so true. It really is about "Who am I going to date/hook up with/cheat on next?" rather than "Who am I? What is my struggle? What is my past? What are my hopes, dreams and goals for the future?"

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3647
Join date : 2013-01-16
Location : Colorado
Real Name : Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  arina on 3/20/2013, 2:59 pm

I personally wouldn't care if Kurt chose to do performing (as long as he would continue sing on the show - but he does ot sing even if he goes to NYADA) or fashion as his "primary" career or both, but I really think it would be great storyline (and realistic) for him to actually thinking about that, being torn between his two passions.... definitely better than Vogue for no purpose and basically non-existent and NYADA also does not seem like something the writers really care for. :(
avatar
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1817
Join date : 2012-02-24
Location : Czech Republic
Real Name : Lenka

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  MoviesAreLife on 3/20/2013, 3:07 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him do both, either! but I am so glad we have that performing aspect of his life onscreen.

Typically, when college students are torn between two passions, they major in one area of study and minor in another.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3647
Join date : 2013-01-16
Location : Colorado
Real Name : Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  sheny on 3/20/2013, 3:07 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana partying and having fun in NYC! It is a part of young adult life. But there is no way Glee would show that. People would be in an uproar with their "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1" lines ready.

They certainly didn't think of the children when Tina was straddling Blaine and rubbing his chest while he was unconscious. Or when they show close ups of Blaine's butt in every episode. Or when Joe was turned on by Quinn during her physical therapy. Or when they made a 16 years old boy a stripper. Or when they had 6 underage boys pose half naked for a calendar. The list is so long. But of course showing Kurt, Santana and Rachel drinking and having some fun in NY will be inappropriate.




Last edited by sheny on 3/20/2013, 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2881
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  MoviesAreLife on 3/20/2013, 3:09 pm

sheny wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana partying and having fun in NYC! It is a part of young adult life. But there is no way Glee would show that. People would be in an uproar with their "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1" lines ready.

They certainly didn't think of the children when Tina was straddling Blaine and rubbing his chest while he was unconscious. Or when they show close ups of Blaine's butt in every episode. Or when Joe was turned on by Quinn during her physical therapy. Or when they made a 16 years old boy a stripper. Or when they had 6 underage boys pose half naked for a calendar. The list is so long. But of course showing Kurt, Santana and Rachel drinking and having some fun in NY will be inappropriate.


Great points! And what about showing a bunch of high school kids partying (and almost giving themselves alcohol poisoning)? Why can't we see some young, college aged adults letting loose and having fun?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 3647
Join date : 2013-01-16
Location : Colorado
Real Name : Heather

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  brisallie on 3/20/2013, 6:51 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:

Or, why not have him do both? A person can have more than one dream and passion. He is a hell of a performer and I hate to see him give it up for fashion. No

I would love to see Kurt, Rachel and Santana partying and having fun in NYC! It is a part of young adult life. But there is no way Glee would show that. People would be in an uproar with their "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!1" lines ready.

The way you described the newbies and their storylines is just hilarious. It is so true. It really is about "Who am I going to date/hook up with/cheat on next?" rather than "Who am I? What is my struggle? What is my past? What are my hopes, dreams and goals for the future?"

Sadly this's Glee not SBL. But you have a point there, despite of seeing the same plot in season one and overall Glee is about shippers,at some point they have explored what's going inside their characters, for instance that why since the beginning we have known what is Rachel's goal. But, as regars as the newbies, is been sixteen episodes, and I feel I don't know enough about them. I don't what are their goals, fears or anything about them.

I'd love to see a Lets have a kiki 2.0, that party was awesome. But I'm not sure if Kurt keeps in touch with Isabelle, so they could invite their NYADA classmates instead.

Lol "Think of the children", I'm sorry but 'Oops I didn't again' it wasn't for children precisely. And I'd say is not the first time that Glee hasn't been appropiate for children. Actually I'm not sure if I like they're for all ages, because it means they have to be aware of what they put on tv. So it doesn't allow them to put more grown-up storylines.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


I currently obsessed with this
avatar
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 5797
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : latinamerica
Real Name : Romina

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum