Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gossip World

+32
SippyCupofLuv
ColferInspired
glimmerle
ladydianab
Ireth
Buenos
sheny
opals
Georgette888
AnneNeville
Lottie2303
ColdFlame96
MoviesAreLife
arina
MissSoniaPP
BlueJazz
E-ko
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
red texta
paulopf
Delight
Emile
Kurt Hummel
tanita_mors
emilynna
dap1217
brisallie
Glorfindel
Jellyrolls
Shinra17
fantastica
36 posters

Page 34 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34

Go down

Gossip World - Page 34 Empty Re: Gossip World

Post  Glorfindel 9/3/2014, 9:05 am

Gossip World - Page 34 Tumblr_nb8yiyT8mh1qk52exo1_500
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 9/4/2014, 11:54 am

^ agree, but using credit card and (to a less extent) online banking is pretty much a necessity in a modern world.

there's a certain protection offered by credit card users. when a charge is disputed and unless hte merchant can prove convincingly that it was authorized by the actual card holder the cc company always gives the benefit of the doubt to the card holders. merchants take any such loss as a cost of doing business.

online banking maybe an issue too but i haven't heard any such breach. besides, all banking data are stored electronically, and all transactions inter-bank are electronic too. It's a matter of debit and credit between the accounts. same thing w/ stock market. i have stocks, but it's only in an electronic record. you either buy and sell on your own computer, or you commission some pro to manage your portfolio for you, who does all transactions electronically. in fact, most tradings are done by computers automatically these days. not even humans are involved (aside from computer programmers to program the rules of trading into the system).

if you want to avoid all possible financial hacking issues for sure, you can stash cash under your mattress and buy everything local/retail. of course you have a different risk - you can lose your precious cash from fire, theft and accidentally being washed in the laundry, etc. nothing is 100% safe and fool proof. you have balance convenience w/ safety.

storaging nude selfies in the cloud is a different story. i wouldn't call it a necessity by any means.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/4/2014, 3:16 pm

^I think that tweet was more to highlight who is really to blame when something gets hacked and stolen, and not about the differences between electronic banking and storing stuff in a cloud (whch btw a lot of phones do automatically).

The point is that with these nudes leaking there is a lot of victim blaming going around.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 9/4/2014, 9:52 pm

^ oh yeah, i understood what the tweet meant. the difference part is my own rambling. Smile

actually, i forgot to mention - when people's nude pix are stolen, they blame the people for taking/putting it in the cloud and not the cloud service; but when financial breach happens, they blame the company(s) whose customer data got stolen, but not the customers. they never blame the hackers, who are really the the causes of all the cyber troubles.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/5/2014, 3:52 am

^Right. fanny2 

Imo companies like Apple, Google, and Facebook are also not innocent in these matters, as they always set the standard/factory privacy settings to the most public settings when people buy or use their products for the first time (like pics of an iPhone automatically being stored in the iCloud, often without the owner of the phone realizing what's going on or that these pics don't get deleted in the cloud when you delete them on your phone), as gathering as much data as they can is in their own interest, not their costumers.

As a costumer you can change those settings, but they are often hard to find and the companies deliberately don't give enough clear information where to find them and/or how widespread the info/data gets 'shared' if you don't change them to more private settings.
And for a lot of people it's really hard to find these things out without help, as they're already trying to get to know and find the right buttons on their new device for even the simple things (whether it's a smartphone or a new website they subscribe at). Not everyone is so technical-savvy (I often ask a 20+ years nephew for help with the smartphones of my kids), especially when things like smartphones and facebook get used by young kids and/or older people, and those companies know this and try to profit from it.

Facebook just announced to send a reminder of the privacy settings to all their users, but imo that's just trying to look good in the public eye now, as Facebook has (had) one of the worst privacy policies of them all, and only takes action as soon as they're called out on it and/or gets bad media-attention/PR.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/5/2014, 4:56 am

You have some recourse with your banking institute if your accounts get hacked.

If I had a 18 year old son/daughter who wanted to take nude photos with a cell phone I would tell time.."you are old enough to make your own decision, but keep in mind that there is a risk that those photos can be be hacked or distributed." I would be negligent otherwise.

That is a risk and I doubt any one doing this won't consider that now. So I find it foolhardy to say that not realizing that is something that can happen isn't a factor that needs to be taken in consideration when taking such photos. Too many times it seems telling people to think about the possible consequences of their actions is some sort of "moral judgement". No, sometimes I think it's common sense to think things through before doing it.

My nephew wanted to get a tattoo and my sister said it was OK as long as he understood that it was a permanent mark on his body, that even tatto laster removal would not completely take away the ink.

Ultimately he decided to do it anyways, but my sister felt good that at least she told him what the consequences are.

I'm so tired that today everything seems to be labeled "blaming the victim" or "slut shaming". Everything we do is a calculated risk, all I say is know the risks.

Personally I don't believe every cave woman would have a nude selfie but that's just me. Some people dont' even like their pictures taken...LOL

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 9/7/2014, 1:09 am

^Buenos, I get what you're saying.

Of course everyone has the right to take nude pictures for private enjoyment, and has the right to not have these private pictures be stolen. Unfortunately, there isn't a proper justice system in place to punish people who steal such pictures/publish them without permission (unlike the punishment for online banking hackers), so it's very risky to take such pictures and expect them not to resurface in today's situation. We've got to push for stricter laws that protect the victims of such an invasion of privacy, but we've also got to be extra cautious until there is some progress in this area of justice (e.g. don't use iCloud to store private pictures, think carefully about who you're sending them to etc. )
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/10/2014, 3:21 am

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down