1x21 "Funk" Watch and Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1x21 "Funk" Watch and Discussion Thread

Post  Jellyrolls on 1/6/2013, 8:42 pm

It's been a while since I created a thread for an old episode, but I do still hope to have discussion threads for all of the episodes. So, I'm going to continue where I left off. Feel free too re-watch along with me. Here goes:

Episode description from the DVD:

Arch enemy Vocal Adrenaline starts pranking the kids, sending them into a psychological funk. Quinn starts acting out big time and will tries a new tack in dealing with Sue.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1x21 "Funk" Watch and Discussion Thread

Post  Jellyrolls on 1/6/2013, 8:59 pm

You know, as I rewatch the episodes, I have to say that almost every time New Directions perform, the performance of the other group is visually more stunning than the New Directions. They really shouldn't have professional dancers in the other roups. The New Directions just can't compete.

I didn't love "Another One Bites the Dust" for Jonathan Groff's voice.

Why is Artie wearing a surgical mask to clean up toilet paper. No one else is. Is he allergic to toilet paper?

I miss Sue's random ranting against the Glee Club, but yay for Will growing a pair against Sue.

The setting for the Will and Terry's divorce is weird. Why would they do that in their marital house? You'd think they would have done it in a neutral place.

Rachel didn't look all that despondent over the whole Jesse thing. I liked Quinn's "Thinking 'Trust Me' was a sensible birth control option" line though.

The outfit Kurt is wearing in the scene in the choir room when he talks about the VA mascot was one of his more tame outfits, but I like it.

Figgy is so creepy.

You really see how good Chris is in the Funk scene. He really does a great job of displaying Kurt's depression.

Rachel rambling. Yay.

Will hitting on Sue is one of the creepiest things they've done on the show. Matt did a good job on "Tell Me Something Good" vocally, but the butt clenches and the hitting on Sue is just creepy.

To be continued...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 1/6/2013, 9:31 pm

Speaking of creepy, here comes Sandy Ryerson.

I love the way Finn looks at his name tag when Sandy asks if Linens and Things turned its name to Losers and Things. It's the little thing.

Mark and Cory did great with the attitude on Loser, though it was probably my least favorite performance vocally for both of them.

I can't believe that Sue fell for Will's flirty gestures. You'd think that Sue was too smart for that.

Just a random comment, in the scene where Terry is helping Finn with the Funk song, when they go to the computer, there is a Dunkin Donuts box on top of the monitor. There aren't any Dunkin Donuts in that area of Ohio. They don't have many of them in Ohio (where as my town of 25,000 has about five of them).

The Preggo Follies. There was a lot of creepiness in this episode, especially when they do the lamaze breathing. This is probably my least favorite Dianna performance. She just couldn't put the attitude into the song. I usually like her voice. She doesn't have the belting power, but she usually has a softness and sweetness to her voice that I really like. The Group hug at the end was weird.

Poor Sue getting stood up. And so funny that she wore pearls with her track suit. I still can't believe that she fell for this.

I love the way Kurt purses his lips at the beginning of the "Good Vibrations." He just knew from the start that Puck and Finn couldn't pull it off. Cory should not be be rapping. But Glee does like to make people who can't rap rap.

The whole Mercedes helping Quinn thing came out of nowhere, didn't it?

Lea must have really hated doing the egg scene.

I love that Kurt was all in there with the boys were going to defend Rachel. And the line about them being the only ones allowed to humiliate Rachel is one of my favorites. I also like dthe way that Kurt was the first one to back off when Will called them off.

Gotta love a nice Kurt Hummel high kick. I wish they showed us that 14 and a half minute Celine Dion vocal performance. I'm sure he would have killed it.

"Give Up the Funk" was a real fun group number. I still can't believe that voice came out of Chris. I wonder how they figured that he'd be able to pull that off. And it was nice to see him out front and center in the beginning all by himself. I liked his outfit too. Quinn dancing was creepy.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 1/7/2013, 1:15 pm

Thinking about these episodes reminds you of how much Kurt has changed. Physically he has gotten much more handsome, which is great, but it is sad that he lost his attitude along the way.

Kurt walking around in his Cheerio uniform with one hand supporting the other, starting to shed the baby fat.

Another One Bites The Dust-mainly a dance number with just a little singing. Nothing like a wall of sound anymore, the beginning of VA dancing in the background while one person sings.

That was a lot of toilet paper, Brittney was trying to put it back on the roll. I think Artie is wearing a mask to show how gross he finds the clean up of toilet paper. I like Kurt's expressions during the scene, I kept waiting for him to say something, but this was mainly a Will/Sue story.

The divorce paper signing makes sense only in the limited amount of sets they have. So it is either the school, either restaurant sets or the apartment. It would have made it hard for Terri (she was such a good actress) to have her parting scene.

Puck's voice over was good, too bad they wasted him so endlessly with the baby storyline. Same with Quinn for that matter. They used their supporting characters better in the first year, and the lines were a little more edgy. Unfortunately, in the need to make things more and more melodramatic these same characters became just cartoons. Look at Sue.

It was very weird having Will flirt with Sue. He does move well, and Matt can sing really well, it is a pity that Will as a character has been so very compartmentalized.

I kind of miss Sheets and things, always having songs at school, NYADA or a food place gets boring. You could have random shoppers involved. I actually wished the performance had been longer. Then they had Terri eyeing Finn, which would have been one strange story if they hadn't have given up on Terri. Unfortunately, this is my opinion only, it really felt like the Wemma stans were very strong and vocal in the first year, and the writers bowed to their wishes. She was what made Emma and Will interesting, and now they are just dull.

Quinn's performance was weird, but Glee at the time was trying to do things unusual, and this was most definitely that. Unfortunately, pregnant women can't move like that, so it does take you out of the crack of it all. Mercedes kind of annoyed me, her sullen expression and attitude. amber is a lovely singer, but doesn't have the ability to make you sympathetic even when they are being a jerk.

The Cheerio's, excluding Kurt, reaction to Sue's funk was hilarious. Brittney had her uniform backwards and was trying to get Jacob to kiss her. This is the level where I liked Brittney, then she got put on the front burner, and annoyed the hell out of me.

Good Vibrations was a great energetic performance, Kurt looked like he was trying to keep from laughing. One of the few times Santana was more than a one-dimensional bitch in the first season. She looked like she was having fun.

Quinn/Mercedes felt so contrived, much like the Rachel/Quinn stuff in later episodes. Kurtcedes was believable because it didn't just spontaneously occur. Glee does seem to have a tendency to try to find friendships at the end of the season, instead of building them up throughout the year.

Sue's conversation with Will was a good one, it was revealing. Sue's loneliness, that despite her treatment of the kids that she loves them. She was interesting.

Now that I think about it, it was kind of nice having Rachel in the background. The egging was cruel, but shows you that even though Jessie was handsome and talented, he was kind of a coward and weak. Once more Kurt was not put in with the bros, but did invite himself along. Until Mr. Schue told them to stop, then right back to his chair, I think he was wearing shorts.

Even if they didn't show it, they did give Kurt the win for the Cheerios, and a happy, happy high kick. Little did we know this was one of the last happy moments for a very, very long time for Kurt.

I liked it when Sue's trophy was brought into the choir room, the little squeaky wheels were perfect.

The final song was fun, and those were some nice pants Kurt. Jonathan has great comic timing, with his whole "I'm so depressed line." While I don't miss the whole Rachel/Jesse thing, I do wish they could have found a way to keep Jesse around without chasing Rachel.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top