Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bistro on the corner

+27
Kurt addict
Ranwing
bayth
murasaki1
ColferInspired
Buenos
Georgette888
Lottie2303
ColdFlame96
ChrisColferFan1
Jellyrolls
Catt24
MoviesAreLife
ColferGirl
Divalicious
Glorfindel
valkeakuulas
zuppid
Delight
tanita_mors
Ireth
arina
BlueJazz
sahhar
Kurt Hummel
fantastica
brisallie
31 posters

Page 23 of 44 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33 ... 44  Next

Go down

Bistro on the corner - Page 23 Empty Re: Bistro on the corner

Post  fantastica 2/2/2014, 1:36 pm

does she have new book coming out? needs publicity? some HP event? no idea. i am not a shipper, so whoever harry sleeps with i really don't care, but i agree that Ginny comes out of no where and i never really bought them as a couple.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 2/2/2014, 3:51 pm

frankly, hermione was too good and too much for either ron or harry imo.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 2/2/2014, 4:22 pm

So damn sad about Philip Seymour Hoffman. Such a good actor. What a loss.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/2/2014, 4:36 pm

^Too young.  :( 

And again the probability of a drugs related death. What a waste.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/2/2014, 4:48 pm

what? he's dead? oh my god!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 2/2/2014, 5:02 pm

man, drugs and alcohol. when will they just stop.  :( Evil or Very Mad 

another great actor gone. RIP
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 2/2/2014, 5:19 pm

Just retweeted the best tweet:

@laura_hudson: When tragedy occurs, it's best not to look at the life of the victim like a choose your own adventure book you could have navigated better.

With the usual ugliness on the internet proliferating (elsewhere), that is a great comment.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 2/2/2014, 5:26 pm

i agree, but i just don't get it, you know. what in the world are you getting from drugs that it's worth that kind of an end. life is short as it is, why do that to yourself and your family. i just hope that he (and all the rest of people who were unfortunate to leave our world that way) are in a better place now.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/2/2014, 5:43 pm

many drugs are very powerful and they can permanently alter your brain structure and affect the most primal part of your brain. if you start this addiction when you are young or if you have the genetic predisposition for it, you will probably never be able to shake it off. willpower can not effectively control deeper, primitive part of the brain functions. can you stop breathing consciously? no.

i have never experienced w/ drugs in my whole life. maybe one day, if i realize that i have some sort of terminal illness, i may want to try those things just so i can find out what heaven is like.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/2/2014, 7:34 pm

fantastica wrote:i have never experienced w/ drugs in my whole life. maybe one day, if i realize that i have some sort of terminal illness, i may want to try those things just so i can find out what heaven is like.
My body has a great intolerance for anything drugs or otherwise stimulating related stuff. I can't drink coffee, alcohol like wine or beer, even tea without it having a great effect on me. Same with cigarettes, chocolate or medication: when I e.g. take a painkiller I react as if I used heroin (I presume) or something similar: I start to trip or practically pass out.
It's been a problem every time I got surgery, as the doctors don't know how to sedate me or make me unconscious with the normal amount of medication. If I don't go out cold right away the drugs can have an opposite effect: then my body tends to fight off the drugs or medication, anything that tries to take control over my mind (e.g. no hypnosis works on me) or body (sedation, as I sadly found out at the dentist, ouch), and several times they had to tie me down in surgery so I don't e.g. rip out the infusion needle or kick the surgeon when I'm supposed to be unconscious.  Embarassed

So taking drugs (or alcohol) on purpose never was an issue for me, as the consequences are too big and I instinctively recoil from touching any of that stuff. I'd like to think that this is because I had a bad experience with addiction in a former life (if you believe in that).
So, long story short:
I can't really imagine or understand why someone would do that to their bodies willingly. I can understand it on a scientific and rational level, but not emotionally. But that doesn't stop me from feeling very sorry for those lives lost and the families and friends involved. And I could never, would never judge or condemn other people for the decisions they made or were forced into by their own brains when it comes to this matter, even when those decisions were responsible for their own downfall.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/2/2014, 8:22 pm

blame it on the genes. i once watched a nature program (Nat Geo? it's been so long ago!) showing an experiment done on monkeys. those were the wild monkeys but they came to the human-infested beach frequently to pick up left over food and drinks. so the scientists observed the monkeys by leaving out alcoholic beverages: some don't like alcohol and will avoid them. some don't care and will drink a small amount. some love alcohol so much they will drink themselves to death. i don't remember the numerical percentage of each group but they seem to correspond to the ratio in human population as well. in other words we are just like our monkey ancestors - some of us are inherently attracted to those bad chemicals! Smile 

in the same documentary, lemurs are shown rubbing a particular plants on their fur and face to get "high" from the chemical. same things w/ cats - many are naturally attracted to catnip. again not all will go nuts over the chemicals. i have only had 2 cats who love catnip. i am thinking about planting some in the yard because they are very good mosquito repellent and i have never been in the yard for more than a few minutes and not getting bitten in the summer time.

so at least among some mammals, getting high or stoned is not unique to us humans and part of their populations seem to be genetically predisposed to be susceptible to narcotic chemicals.

I also cannot tolerate many chemicals. drinking coffee can keep me animated the whole day like a weirdo. too much sugar can upset my stomach. never liked the taste of cigarettes or alcohol. smelling the faint residue of weed in my old neighbor's apartment could put me to sleep right away. never bothered to try narcotics but i never felt the need or even the curiosity to ruin my life by trying. no wonder the mosquitoes love my blood so much - they are divinely pure!  Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/2/2014, 8:42 pm

^Don't let the vampires know.  tonguue

Sadly I think this is accurate at the moment:

celebrity deaths bring out two types of people:

1. people who appreciate the life of the person who died and realize that death is tragic, no matter what the cause
  2. people who are insensitive assholes and don’t realize that death is tragic, no matter what the cause

x
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/2/2014, 10:11 pm

everybody dies. that's cold hard fact.

talking about death, i watched on Netflix streaming an excellent Japanese movie that won an Oscar 6 years ago. It's called "Departures". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/

Even though it has a lot to do w/ death and funerals it's actually not a sad movie. part of it is even a bit comedic. it did make both me and my mom a crying mess toward the end, but the ending was a happy one. highly recommend it if you can sit down for 2 hours for a good old fashioned (and rather slow but even paced) storytelling that doesn't rely on special effects or digital wizardry.

check it out on netflix or if you can download it somewhere. i really enjoyed this one, and my crying is a good indication because i rarely cry at the movies. it's very touching, at the soul level.

the japanese really turned "casketing"/embalming into a high art. similar to how the tea ceremony turned simple tea serving into a highly skilled and meditative art form. i have a lot of respect for their culture.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 2/3/2014, 12:30 am

I see you're speaking about what happened to PSH here. Whatever were the circumstances in which he died I felt sad, because there's a family, friends and fans that feel this loss. By other side, I can't deny is still a debate for me the drugs use, a part of me thinks people decides either they take them or not, but other side of me believe is an addiction people struggle with their whole life, and as much as they want to be clean, is hard. But my point is, today I've lots of comments about this, some has been pretty harsh and insensitive, so even though people has the right to have their opinion, sometimes is better to not judge immediately and do some research. For instance I read in the case of Philip Seymour Hoffman he was clean for about 23 years, and something lead him to relapse.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 2/3/2014, 4:56 am

This is very sad news indeed  :( May he rest in peace.

Unfortunately, I have seen some people being very insensitive about the way he died. It's sickening.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/3/2014, 12:18 pm

Bistro on the corner - Page 23 Tumblr_n0dy4dXntx1ri8dd1o1_500
I think we all can agree to that.  :(
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 2/3/2014, 12:38 pm

I tell young people (or not so young) that a compelling reason not to do drugs is that you can be that percentage of people who can't walk away from drugs due to addiction.

Though in Philip's case he was clean from what I hear for 22 years; just too too sad.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 2/3/2014, 1:52 pm

The sad fact is that with drugs like heroin, there is an extremely high relapse rate and a high rate of fatality post-relapse because the addict had lost whatever tolerence they'd built up. We saw that with Cory. I think that given our recent loss, we're more sensative to having people saying unkind things about PSH. But as much as I sympathize with the family over this horrible loss and mourn what amazing roles he might have played had he survived, I'm also angry that again we're losing a talented person because he was an addict.

People don't chose to be addicts, but they chose to start using drugs. And it's so critical not to start down that road. I'm speaking as someone who is the same age as PSH and should have been a poster child for drug use. I had a severe endocrine imbalance as a teenager that cased very profound manic depression. I was never really "fine", and more often than not would go into funks that would leave me nearly incapable of functioning. I was socially isolated for years, with no real friends. And I attempted suicide at 16. I would have been a prime candidate for self-medicating, but I was more afraid of losing what little control I had over my life than I was of my other issues. I managed, with medical help, to get better. I realize that I could have very easily been in PSH's shoes and count myself as lucky that I'm not. So while I'm sympathetic and supportive to those struggling with addiction, I know better than most that the first and most critical step is not to start in the first place. That doesn't make me smarter or better or stronger... just more fortunate to have escaped that trap.

Being an addict doesn't take anything away from the amazing work that PSH accomplished, any more than it took away from Cory's. But I think that while we honor their work, we still need to drive home the message of just how awful addiction is and just how pointless and sad their deaths ended up being. For a man with PSH's accomplishments to die alone on his bathroom floor with the needle in his arm is beyond tragic. It's an inglorious end for a man as talented as PSH was and he deserved better.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/3/2014, 2:29 pm

^ agree completely. it's a shame such as a talented person died young. this guy is pretty much an award magnet. all of this premature death is very unfortunate. all i can do is tell my kids to stay far away from those dangerous chemicals as possible. death does not discriminate based on wealth, fame or talent.

as far as messages are concerned - haven't we had enough high profile drug overdose cases already? haven't we had enough school shootings? anything actually done to prevent them? i haven't seen much (if any) changes yet.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 2/3/2014, 2:35 pm

Ranwing...I so agree with you.

With what we know of drug addiction the message has to be hammered home, do not go down that path., do not take that first step. Most people would think twice before jumping off a high cliff but it seems drugs is an "OK" recreational thing to explore when you are young. It's not recreational nor is it safe ever.

It's so hard because even prescribed "legal" drugs are such a risk and danger.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/3/2014, 2:48 pm

sorry to change subject but i am really pissed that it's snowing heavily again now. i was planning to leave NY tomorrow and now i am stuck here yet again. i also discovered that my car dealer in atlanta who just serviced my car a month ago used diluted windshield wiper fluid in my car. It was filled to the brim and SOLIDLY FROZEN!  :angry:  i am not sure it bursted any of the pipes/hardware during hte freezing process but one way or the other as soon as i get back i am going to sue the hell of these bastards. meanwhile i have to find a way to drive safely back.

why do bad things all happen at the same time? !!!!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 2/3/2014, 2:50 pm

From what I've been reading, a lot of newer heroin addicts start off addicted to drugs like oxycontin and transition to heroin becaue it's more accessable and cheaper than the prescription drugs.

It is horrible to see something like Hoffman, or Cory, die so young because of an addiction that started in their teens. That's why I count myself as being so lucky because I could have been in that situation. Is it a tragedy that Hoffman and Cory died so young and with so much that they could have accomplished with their lives? Certainly. It's also an awful waste.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 2/3/2014, 2:58 pm

fantastica wrote:sorry to change subject but i am really pissed that it's snowing heavily again now. i was planning to leave NY tomorrow and now i am stuck here yet again. i also discovered that my car dealer in atlanta who just serviced my car a month ago used diluted windshield wiper fluid in my car.  It was filled to the brim and SOLIDLY FROZEN!  :angry:  i am not sure it bursted any of the pipes/hardware during hte freezing process but one way or the other as soon as i get back i am going to sue the hell of these bastards. meanwhile i have to find a way to drive safely back.

why do bad things all happen at the same time? !!!!

I'm right now at my office in Manhattan and keeping a close eye on the railroad schedules because if the trains get bunged up, I'm stranded.

And I picked the wrong day to wear boots with heels.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 2/3/2014, 3:17 pm

Legal "drugs" are a huge part of the problem. I don't know any drug addicts but know few people who are desperately clinging to prescriptive medicine, even though the heathcare system here is pretty systematic and regulated ie. doctors often see what has been described to the patient before.

Maybe it's due to sheltered childhood or the region I've lived my whole life, that drugs or even experimenting drugs wasn't really something I would have seen growing up. But totally agree that the key point is to find the moment when the first opprtunity to use comes up.

I remember a talk we had with a drugs councellor in college, when he was giving a lecture on drugs for the class: he did the obvious mention, which I think all counsellors do, is where they describe that seeing some drugs like weed as the lesser harm is a way to harder drugs. Someone laughed and he looked very serious and just said that his best friend had the exact laugh after using weed, then using cocaine, then heroin and that two years later he was dead. I know some people, and societies, see weed as the lesser one but how many heroin users do go through the exact chain the counsellor mentioned.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 2/3/2014, 3:52 pm

I get to speak about this as someone who works in the medical field - it had become painfully ease to not only get prescriptions for very powerful drugs, but to get them from multiple physicians. We've seen cases of patients who "doctor shop" - they'll go to multiple physicians to get the prescriptions they wanted and were often able to get multiple prescriptions for the same medication from multiple physicians. Thankfully in NY we're now gotten a database that keeps track of all prescriptions for controlled substances so doctors can check to see if the patient currently has any prescriptions before giving a new one.

But the reality is that an addict will get drugs by whatever means they can. If they can con doctors into give duplicate prescriptions for oxycontin, they do that. If they need to buy them from a dealer, they do that, and do whatever they need to in order to get the cash that they need. Or they steal what they can't buy. So long as the addict wants a drug, they'll find some way to get it. The addiction runs the show, which is why a man like this who has so much to live for (career, prestigue, wife and children) threw it away.

I think that it's important to balance sympathy for those fighting additions with a real message that the best way to help is to get as many people as possible to avoid becoming addicts in the first place. And the sympathy really needs to be saved for the family of addicts, who are the ones who pick up the pieces time and time again. Let's put it this way... am I sorry that Hoffman is dead? Sure, because I don't wish death on anyone. But he has to own responsibility for his actions. Having 50 bags of heroin (as now reported) in the apartment isn't "fighting" his addition - he had given in to it completely. So it is sad, but I'm going to agree with some critic that it's not a tragedy except to his family and immediate circle.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 44 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 33 ... 44  Next