Bistro on the corner

Page 22 of 44 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 33 ... 44  Next

Go down

Bistro on the corner - Page 22 Empty Re: Bistro on the corner

Post  Delight on 1/21/2014, 9:40 pm

fantastica wrote:
i saw him first in the hobbit and it didn't click. i guess i am simply not into bearded men.  Smile  then i watched BBC's North and South. i didn't realize at all that it was the same actor who played thorin. i only found that out when I IMDBed him. but the character of John Thornton in N&S is very swoon worthy. i still think this is his best role - best role because it's a romantic leading role w/ a lot of "meat" for him to act on. think about Mr. Darcey but a self-made man who struggles in the industrial age. I am not into big macho action heros, but give me a british genleman in a white puffy sleeved shirt and a top hat and give me that dark smoldering, painful glance and i am done for.

Thanks for the TV show rec! I shall check it out. I didn't know what show to watch in order to start appreciating Richard Armitage. I chose Strike Back randomly (and watched only the first episode) but found the subject matter of the series too grim and depressing for my tastes (ie. terrorism and hostage retrieval in Iraq). He plays a convincing hero haunted by his past who's seeking redemption though...

fantastica wrote:
today in NY there's huge snow. i reminds me why i don't want to be here in the winter. snow is beautiful but then i have to dig my car out of the snow and it would be a pain in the butt to find an empty parking spot again. grrrr

Oh yes, the snow storm in the US. I forgot to enquire how that's coming along. In Australia, we've experienced the exact opposite last week-- a heat wave that brought temperatures of more than 40 degrees celsius. I pity the poor tennis players playing under the sun at the Australia Open in such conditions.

fantastica wrote:now the actor who played Mathew - the reason he got killed off was because he wanted off the show and to explore hollywood (how is that every british actor is here now?). i googled him (sorry forgot his name now) and i was surprised to see that he either had lost a ton of weight or did something to his face but he looked totally different now - not in a good way imho.

Really? And here I thought they killed off Matthew because the writers were just that brave. I mean the character was kind of stagnating and killing him off is a great way to add drama to the show, as they now have a good excuse to re-freeze Mary's thawed-out heart and free her up for other suitors.

Last edited by Delight on 1/26/2014, 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/22/2014, 6:24 am

no, the dude REALLY wanted to leave. i remember the hoopla that was around that time. i haven't watched season 3 yet, but i know the ending. he was very ungrateful if i remember, because the writers were ready to temporary write him out, to do anything but kill of his character because him and mary were one of the big parts of the show, but he wanted out and basically twisted their hand.

and kim, thanks for those north & south clips on youtube. i've been meaning to download the show, but now that i have a new pc and can watch HD online, i'm gonna stream those babies. bookmarked.  Smile

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bistro on the corner - Page 22 Sig11

Bistro on the corner - Page 22 212
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/22/2014, 6:30 am

and yeah, britts have invaded hollywood big time in the last few years. cumberbatch, freeman, hiddlstone, fassbender, mcavoy, armitage,...

kind of reminds me of the other great wave - stewart, rickman, irons, hopkins, mckellen, ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/22/2014, 1:52 pm

the brits are some of the best actors...

Ivana, N&S was never shot in HD. the youtube quality is even worse. but if you don't have netflix/amazon prime (not in your country i assume; besides the official streaming version in the US was severely edited/shortened) then this is probably the best you can stream online. just don't play in full screen.

Delight: i feel pretty bad for you Aussies. it seems that the heat wave is getting worse and more frequent. you folks are being slowly roasted alive. i am a southern girl and i hate cold weather, but i won't want to be in a hot desert either. right now in NY it's noon and it's 10 degrees F. window is howling. I need to dig up my car from the snow because i need to move my car tomorrow morning to avoid the parking ticket. but it's so bone-chilling out there and I don't even have a big shovel. i am actually debating on weather i should just let the car sit there and pay the parking ticket as some sort of fee for my laziness.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/22/2014, 2:09 pm

i know, i saw that the best is 360p. doesn't matter. i move away from my pc about 2-2.5 meters and full screen even at that definition is decent. it's not like i have led/hd tv's at home. so i'm used to it.

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/22/2014, 3:23 pm

i am getting old.  :(  my sight is deteriorating. i am stubbornly refusing to get glasses. i can still read cell phone or even tiny text but not under very dim light. but my distant vision is getting fuzzy. i am relying on my GPS navigator to tell me "turn right", "merge left" rather than reading signs.  phr34r 
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 1/22/2014, 4:14 pm

^You might want to reconsider that.
I got glasses last year and I initially thought I didn't really need them and I was fine without them. But the difference while driving is astounding! I can see the pavement again (the actual stones in the cement), I can read all the signs and see the outlines of the other cars clearly again, and most importantly: when I drive in the dark the lights of the other cars don't blur and 'star out' like they used to do so they blinded me, but they stay confined to the little bright dots they are.

I will not drive again without glasses, because once I (with protest!) had them I realized how little I saw and how dangerous that was during driving. And I only need a slight correction for my eyes (I only wear my glasses while driving and when seeing a movie in the cinema: I don't need them constantly), so it's not like I waited far too long to get them.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 1/22/2014, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Glorfindel
Bistro on the corner - Page 22 6-550
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/22/2014, 5:53 pm

^ i will definitely consider that. thank you!  neutre  i know sooner or later i will have to get them. i am just a bit stubborn. i am like "peter pan" who refuse to grow up/old.  Smile 
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 1/22/2014, 6:36 pm

^Lol, I know how you feel. 

Last year I got glasses (for driving and another pair for reading), an artificial tooth, arch supports in my shoes, suffered from a severe backache due to wear and tear of the muscles, and really needed to dye my hair to cover up the grey.
And when I tried to demonstrate a cartwheel to my kids my brain somehow couldn't compute the muscle movement fast enough to pull it off anymore, so I almost fall flat on my face while knocking against the furniture.  Razz 

I think I aged 10 years in 2013!  Smile
(Now I'm waiting for the graceful wisdom of old age to settle in, but so far no luck yet.)  Wink

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/22/2014, 6:52 pm

haha, talking about gray hair. i have been gray since i reached 30. i dye my hair from time to time but sometimes i get lazy. so one day late last year i was shopping meat at a Whole Foods grocery store and the butcher stopped me and asked "what's wrong w/ your hair?" i said "what about it?". he said "your face looks so young but your hair is so white". i said "yeah, i got bad genes". i really don't want to put harsh chemicals on my head but what's my alternative? natural henna would make me look like a pumpkin head. the procedure to henna the hair is so messy and time consuming i never bothered to try. my hair is long. i don't look good w/ short hair.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/25/2014, 8:12 am

man, it's january 25th and we just had our first snow this winter. finally.  Smile 

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/25/2014, 1:53 pm

i love the look of snow. i like to watch it. i enjoy looking at photos of beautiful winter scape. but i hate the aftermath of it when i have to actually deal w/ it. a couple of days ago i spent an hour digging my car out of snow, and the next day my whole body ached.

last night i watched "The Gray" starring Liam Neeson on Netflix w/ my family. i really like that movie, but it made us all feel uncomfortably cold when watching people freezing on the screen.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/25/2014, 3:42 pm

yeah, i know what you mean. my mom dreads every time snow falls. few years ago she tripped on ice and broke her wrist. she still has consequences because of it and is afraid she is going to tripp again. not to mention, i tripped twice rather seriously - once almost 15 years ago when i hit my head on a railing and probably had a minor concusion (had a huge bump for a week) and a few years back when i tripped on some staircases and landed on a edge of a case with my lower spine/tail bone, i had a huge bruise and a under the skin blood hemorrhage for a few weeks. could hardly sleep on my back and sit wor a week. thank God both times that i didn't actually broke anything both times.

also, i'm not enjoying the snow all that much because our heating isn;t working. the radiator in someones apartment in my building broke and is leaking water, so the heat in the whole place must be off until it's replaced. i'm freizing and they are predicting -12/-13 °C in the next few days.

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/25/2014, 3:56 pm

oh wow, how can you guys survive in this cold? when i grew up in china as a kid long time ago we had no heating in the house (or school, or pretty much anywhere) in our city. it's not a northern city and snow was rare but winter can dip below 0 C and because of hte high humidity due to proximity to the sea it felt bone chillingly cold. there was no insulation in the building walls and there was draft everywhere. every year my fingers and toes would get frost bites and turn blue/black. thank god before the tissues completey died spring would come just on time and causing weeks of intense ichiness as the new tissues grew back. those days are forever past for me. i just can't imagine anybody else living in cold weather w/o the help of interior heating.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 1/25/2014, 4:44 pm

oh, it's not so bad. i'm mosty on my sofa under the blanket the whole day. it's saturday after all. it'll probably be repaired in the next day or two. back in the 90's was problematic. we had everyday electricity restrictions because of the embargo, 8-12 hours a day and during winter as well. then it was hella cold.

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 1/26/2014, 12:49 am

Totally random post, but I'd just like to say that I'm happy that Li Na won the Australia Open for the women's singles. She has the most amusing victory speeches too, which included thanking her agent for making her rich. And her husband for fixing her drinks and fixing her tennis racquets.  Smile 
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/26/2014, 12:50 am

^ good for her. i thought she was too old already.

snowed again today. tomorrow have to dig my car out again. grrrrr
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 1/26/2014, 1:03 am

^ Isn't there anyone else in your household whom you can nominate for such back-breaking work?  tonguue 
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/26/2014, 2:18 pm

unfortunately no. hubby still in the south. i drove up north all by myself to see Armitage in the play and now spending time w/ my almost 80 year old mom. both my boys are out of the country. the super of the building was too busy to be bothered. I mean shoveling snow isn't really a big deal. what was killing me was that i didn't have a proper shovel. i have a child-sized one - short handle and small scooper. it's like scooping snow w/ a giant spoon - takes forever. when i went to buy the shovel in the nearby hardware store all were sold out and only this small one was left. at least it's better than a wok spatula. i guess i could borrow one from someone but i just didn't feel like bothering anybody. i will scoop the snow again w/ this toy today. i will just treat it as some sort of exercise session. last time it was below freezing out there but i managed to work up a huge sweat. i am putting on my smartwool base layer and a moisture wicking fleece mid-layer and my ski jacket and ready to head to the battle field.  Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 1/31/2014, 7:29 pm

Marie: i just read that in Netherlands there's a neighborhood where all the streets are named after Tokien characters! I wonder if you are actually from that place because you are also a huge Tokien fan:  Smile 

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/01/29/86463-tolkien-characters-found-at-every-turn-in-dutch-neighborhood/

i wish they actually have actual hobbit holes and/or any other middle earth landmark there.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 1/31/2014, 8:25 pm

^Hahaha.  Razz 
That's actually not so far away from where I live (only 75 km: about 45 miles), and very near to where my father was born.

I must drive through that neighbourhood someday, when I'm visiting relatives nearby.
Thanks for the tip.  neutre

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 2/1/2014, 11:27 pm

http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/01/jk-rowling-ron-hermione-relationship-regret-interview/

for hp lovers. In a way I'm glad things didn't turn out this way.  Otherwise it's too perfect and I'm not ready for perfection
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth on 2/2/2014, 5:00 am

I need to visit the Tolkien neighbourhood someday!

With regards to the new J K Rowling interview, I don't think Harry and Hermione would have been a good couple. I got the feeling that Harry didn't pay much attention to her, preferred Ron as a friend, and never found her attractive (except at the Yule Ball when she didn't look like herself), and while we don't see Hermione's point of view, I don't think she considered him a viable love interest either. They have a very bro and sis vibe.

Ron and Hermione on the other hand, have had a lot of chemistry since the first book, and always showed signs of liking each other. Ron always seemed to show more concern about and interest in Hermione than Harry (except during the big fights Ron and Hermione had about Crookshanks and Lavender).

Now Harry and Ginny always seemed like something out of the blue to me and I prefer Harry and Luna together actually.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 2/2/2014, 12:08 pm

JK Rowling should have just let sleeping dogs ly, imo.
Why stir it up after all this time?  saispa 

And canon is still canon, solidly set 19 years into the future even.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 2/2/2014, 1:32 pm

Oh rowling, why does she bring up this shipper wars years la ter the saga ended? I used to be a Harry/Hermione shipper, mostly because of the films, I used to see more chemistry between daniel and emma. But then I accepted that actually harry/hermione are more like siblings than a couple, however if he never noticed hermione before the Yule Ball, is because he's was kinda oblivious. Anyways, why this now?

Bistro on the corner - Page 22 250px-Muhte%C5%9Fem_Y%C3%BCzy%C4%B1l_Logo
I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down