1x20 "Theatricality" Watch and Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1x20 "Theatricality" Watch and Discussion Thread

Post  Jellyrolls on 9/3/2012, 6:41 pm

Episode description from the DVD:

Rachel makes the shocking discovery of her mother's identity. Kurt's (and his dad's) plan for Finn and his mom to move in hits a major snag. Fueled by songs by Lada Gaga and Kiss, Glee Club members learn the value of individuality.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 1x20 "Theatricality" Watch and Discussion Thread

Post  Jellyrolls on 9/3/2012, 7:27 pm

The whole goth opening is creepy. Ashley with the vampire fangs and bruised neck is just wrong.

"My mom says that Kristen Stewart seems like a bitch." One of my favorite lines in the episode.

So, the Hummel house has two and a half bathrooms, but there is only one real bedroom? Kurt's room is the finished basement next to the laundry room. Kurt looks so mature in the episode. "I'll put together a pallete that expresses who you are and who I want you to be." hehe.

Kurt defending Lady Gaga was hysterical (as was his reaction when he realized VA was doing Gaga). "She changes her look faster than Brit changes sexual partners." hehe.

So weird that Quinn was with Mercedes and Rachel when they spied on VA. Kurt would have been a better fit.

Idina did a great job on "Funny Girl." All those years on Broadway definitely make her so expressive when she sings. She does have a great face for making expressions. I've seen her in "Rent" and "Wicked."

Leave it to Puck to want to name his kid Jack Daniels.

Seeing this scene with Karofsky and Ezimio bullying Kurt makes me sad that they ran him out of McKinley in season two, and turned him into a weaker character until he found his knight in flood pants. Kurt was so good opposite his bullies in this episode. He was strong and firm. He stood up them, and wasn't afraid to be himself.

Bad Romance is so much fun. Kurt and the girls really did a great job on it. I love that everyone (except Brit) were featured in this song. I miss Glee as an ensemble show instead of the Blaine and Rachel show with a little bit of Kurt, Santana, and Finn.

Were was Jesse in this episode?

Shout It Out Loud was fun. "I'm the guy who took over when Artie quit." LOL.

Furt. wub wub wub Love the bitch face Kurt gave to Finn. hehe. They should do a Furt roomie spinoff. I'd totally watch it.

I have to say that I don't blame Finn for being upset about room. It is pretty outrageous for a teenage boy room, even a gay teenage boy.

Although I don't think Finn really deserved the speech from Burt for being upset about the room, I did love Burt's speech. Mike did such a great job on it.

You now, Kurt being cold to Finn never really sat right with me. He wasn't as bothered by Finn as Burt was, so it was a bit surprising that he kind of turned on him. But I guess they needed that to happen so Finn could redeem himelf later in the episode.

Beth is a pretty song, and the boys did a nice job on it.

I know that they were doing the Gaga thing in this episode, but what a waste of a duet having Lea and Idina do "Poker Face." It's not even a good song, and I can't wait for it to end. Fast forward time.

Tina scaring Figgy was hysterical. You go Tina!

Even though Kurt is afraid of Karofsky and Ezimio, he still stands tall and stands his ground against them. He'll take a beating, but he won't change who he is. I love Kurt wub wub wub wub

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel on 9/3/2012, 7:41 pm

I love this episode. It was the very first episode I ever watched. wub I loved Kurt right away.

I felt so bad when Finn yelled at him. :( Love Bad Romance and Beth.
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 9/4/2012, 10:48 am

It was a very good Kurt episode, like Jellyrolls I loved his strength. He was walking around in the highest of heels, wearing silver tights, and he owned it. Kurt's general taste is more sedate, but when he becomes a character he is happy just embracing it. This past year he did that as Snooki. Why can't the Glee characters see that is the essence of acting. Becoming someone else, not just assuming someone can't pass, when you don't give them a chance to try.

I thought it was realistic for Rachel to take some buddies with her, and actually if Kurt had been there, he would have probably followed Rachel. Mercedes, around adults, seems a little more circumspect and would stay in the balcony, so Rachel could have her scene of course. Kurt would be asking for her autograph. Plus he had a whole lot going on in that episode.

I loved his scenes with Finn, and really felt that his puppy love was ending it's delusion of Finn is a hero and therefore perfect. When Finn was asking him to change and Kurt wasn't willing to do that. Kurt is happy being Kurt, even if so many other in the Glee world are damn stupid and can't appreciate a wonderful, strong, proud effeminate gay young man. I loved him so much at that moment. Plus he looked gorgeous. Even if the final confrontation had never taken place, I do think Kurt was coming to his own realization that his day dreams were just that. He could have moved on at that point.

I think they had Kurt be cold to Finn, giving Finn the possibility of losing this friendship, to make him realize just how much he does care about Kurt. Not as a potential boyfriend of course, but as a friend. Kurt has been there for him, they have both experienced loss, in ways the other kids could never understand. Finn knows Kurt isn't judgmental, and he doesn't have to put on a front for him. Kurt accepts him, and confused his affection for Finn as love. It was a moment of strength for Finn to realize that he wanted to repair his friendship with this young man, and doing it in a plastic red shower curtain. This is the kind of support Finn should have been able to give to Santana, not making decisions for the other, but supporting the ones they have made. But I blame poor writing, shock writing style, for that bit of crap. As a character, I love Finn, and I love Cory. I, too, hope for a whole lot of Furt next season. But as they use Kurt to prop up others, they do the same for Finn. Because they are strong actors with defined characters who aren't Lea/Rachel. Oh, well.

Beth was lovely, but it did feel contrived to have the tear drop off Quinn's fake lashes at just the right moment.

I still fast forward through Poker Face, plus I didn't like the song being so slow. They do have a habit of blood relatives singing romantic songs towards each other.

One of Tina's few moments to have a scene to herself, and she has to be a vampire in it. It is so hard to judge her acting, when she doesn't get to do any.

I loved the Bad Romance, hearing Kurt's lower register, that amazing leg lift. Having most of the voices having a featured moment was also a highlight. Too many damn, solos and duets in season 3, mostly to feature just a few voices. They are a choir, dammit, that means many voices, not a soloist with backup singers.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top