Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 5

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 5

Post  opals on 8/17/2012, 9:35 am

YES, I would love that. I hear a lot of talk about 'Come What May' of Moulin Rouge, but the Love Medley is sooooooo good. It would be a great group number.
And I love Ewan McGregor's voice: it's not a 'big' voice, but, just like Chris, he puts so much emotion behind it.

I third that this show should really do Elephant Love Medley, and agree that Ewan McGregor has a dreamy voice. The way he sings those first few lines of Come What May back to Satine at the end the movie tugs at my heart no matter how many times I watch that movie. wub

Despite all the comparison to HSM when it first aired, I always thought Glee had more in common/ was perhaps influenced by Moulin Rouge.

Last edited by opals on 8/17/2012, 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing)
opals
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sani on 8/17/2012, 10:03 am

Glorfindel wrote:
Sani wrote:
zuppid wrote:
Sorry for my bad english.I can read,listen and talk in english but writing is quite difficult when you are italian...It's so different the sentences contruction Embarassed
I have no problems understanding English, but when it comes to writing and speaking... I suck completely at it tonguue
Practice makes perfect. suure

Posting every day on Glee forums is better than all the English lessons I ever had. Razz

Yep, I guess I just need to be more active with my posting, but Idk, I just prefer being more of a lurker. tonguue

Sani
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing on 8/17/2012, 10:28 am

Jellyrolls wrote:I think that the difference between Amber and Darren is that for as much as Amber sings, she isn't really thrust into the forefront the way Darren. The writers didn't write Mercedes in a way that makes her loved, admired, and better than everyone else like they do Blaine. RIB and the writers don't throw her into storylines that she doesn't belong in, or have her attached at the hip to one of the best actors on the show, where her deficiencies as an actress would be more noticable. So as much as Amber sings, it's not as bad as Darren because RIB and the writers aren't trying to make us believe that she is the most amazing actress and singer on the show the way they do with Darren.

The biggest problem is that as a character, Blaine is woefully underdeveloped. He hasn't evolved very much in two seasons from what we knew about him as the supporting character he was back in season 2. Given how much focus he gets, there's nothing there to support the amount of time he's featured. He still exists primarily as a part of Kurt's storyline and really has no storyline of his own to justify his existance outside of Kurt. I know this is something the Blaine stans have been complaining about for ages and it's not totally unjustified. He is pretty much the shallowest character on the show and has been getting by on Darren's singing and natural charisma. Even when they devoted an episode to Blaine, rather than actually allowing some real development with his character, we ended up with three vocal performances.

Right now, Blaine isn't so much a character as a bunch of random characteristics bound together with lots of singing performances. That was fine when he was someone that we saw for a few episodes every now and then, but not every week. Now that Kurt and he are going to be seperated (at least by distance) for most of the season, they need to flesh him out more. Especially if he's going to be part of the foundation for the McKinely storyline.

As for Darren... I have no real dislike for him and I'm not going to judge him as a person. He seems nice enough, but as I've never met him I'm not going to make the call whether it's genuine of calculated. But I do have some serious issues with some of his fans who not only think he's the next coming of John Barrymore (not hardly) but who have some real resentment issues over Chris being accorded more focus and attention than Darren. Darren, unfortunatly, is one of the celeberties that has just managed to attract some seriously batshit crazy fans who have no sense of boundries or respect for those that work with him. We see this same thing in the Supernatural fandom with the Jensen Ackles and Misha Collins fans (some of which seem to resent the very air that their co-star, Jared Padalecki breathes). It's pathetic that there are some who feel that the only way to support their favorite is to tear down anyone that might outshine them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 8/17/2012, 11:53 am

Jellyrolls wrote:Marie, I think that the difference between Amber and Darren is that for as much as Amber sings, she isn't really thrust into the forefront the way Darren. The writers didn't write Mercedes in a way that makes her loved, admired, and better than everyone else like they do Blaine. RIB and the writers don't throw her into storylines that she doesn't belong in, or have her attached at the hip to one of the best actors on the show, where her deficiencies as an actress would be more noticable. So as much as Amber sings, it's not as bad as Darren because RIB and the writers aren't trying to make us believe that she is the most amazing actress and singer on the show the way they do with Darren.

The thing about Amber, I personally love her voice , but even if you don't care for it as fas as preference, there is no denying she has a strong distinct voice style on the show. For goodness sake she sang Whitney's " I weill always love you" with no bells or whistles but just that voice of hers.

She will get the occasional production numbers but the show doesn't have to try to continually "convince" you she is a good singer. Her acapella in "how will I love you" was stunning. Not all songs she sings suit her style but it made sense for the show to use her in so many numbers (well up to a point because they underuse others such as Chris and Mark Salling and Jenna) because she has strong pipes. The same argument can be made with Lea.

With Darren he gets so many numbers where they blatantly over auto tune (Rio/Hungry like the wolf mash up was a joke, the horrible extraordinary XMAS where they even ruined Lea's voice) or layer on the backup singers and dancers in overblown productions so he's the "star" as if to try to camaflouge that his voice is relatively underpowered and weak. That is not to say his voice doesn't have a nice pop sound to it.

It's not like Dianna Agron who I don't begrudge her songs because while I dont think her voice is special the show doesn't pretend it is. Is a pleasant voice to me, like Darren's, but they don't throw at me that she makes a room full of people swoon because a pedestrian version of a show tune number Is the second coming of a Broadway star.

What's annoying to me is that the show has to try to stack the deck every time Darren sings to a ridiculous degree the way they don't with any other singer, including Lea and Amber. And the gimmicks such as with "fighter' border on parody.

To a lesser degree it's what was annoying about Naya in season 3. I use to think her singing was criminally underused (her duet with amber in "river deep/mountain high" is one of my all time faves and her "trouty mouth is a comic gem) but they put her into so many more numbers/leads/solos where it didn't even suit her voice that it became jarring. So many of her numbers fit jenna's voice but that's another's story.

Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/17/2012, 5:22 pm

^Well said, @Buenos.

I fully agree. neutre

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/17/2012, 6:24 pm

if chris and darren are not joined at hte hip in the eyes of so many fans they won't be constantly mentioned together and worse, compared all the time. If blaine has nothing to do w/ Kurt then he will be treated like Sam, Finn, Santana, Mercedes or anyone else. I hate it when every mention of Chris or even his outside projects bring in so many Darren talk. that's probably the main motivation for my not wanting to see klaine together. I like each actor to be juged for their own work and seperately, not in comparison w/ their co-workers, because such comparison is silly - each of these people are hired for their own unique merits! Comparing apple w/ oranges isn't fun and often lead to unnecessary heated debates w/ absolutely no result and no benefit for anyone.

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 8/17/2012, 7:26 pm

fantastica wrote:if chris and darren are not joined at hte hip in the eyes of so many fans they won't be constantly mentioned together and worse, compared all the time. If blaine has nothing to do w/ Kurt then he will be treated like Sam, Finn, Santana, Mercedes or anyone else. I hate it when every mention of Chris or even his outside projects bring in so many Darren talk. that's probably the main motivation for my not wanting to see klaine together. I like each actor to be juged for their own work and seperately, not in comparison w/ their co-workers, because such comparison is silly - each of these people are hired for their own unique merits! Comparing apple w/ oranges isn't fun and often lead to unnecessary heated debates w/ absolutely no result and no benefit for anyone.

I have to roll my eyes when Blaine/Darren stanners whine that Kurt fans always talk about Blaine and seem obsessed with him. Separate them on the show and let's see how many discussions about Blaine Kurt fans continue to 'perpetuate'...LOL

Same thing with Finn/Rachel, it's hard not to discuss Finn or Rachel without dwelling about the other character they are so entertwined with since the pilot episode.

But in contrast to Finchell, Kurt was a developed character with his own storyline arc well before Blaine entered the scene, so that is why while I don't mind them together if they would write them well (balanced) it's not necessary for me to enjoy Kurt as a character. It's not hating Blaine, it's just that to me he's not relevant to my enjoying Kurt.

I'm a softie, I wish a good career on all the Glee kids in real life.

Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/17/2012, 9:13 pm

consider how many artist/performers are waiting tables the glee kids have already had a great careers. the only question is how long will it last. If they saved enough money, and make wise investment decisions, they can live comfortably (though not lavishly) for the rest of their lives.

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/17/2012, 9:28 pm

ok, just learned from ontd's spoiler section that
Spoiler:
in the season's premiere there will another blaine song w/ 2 girls. gosh one solo isn't enough? I definitely wont' watch this crap!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

antifana tronco

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 8/17/2012, 9:45 pm

fantastica wrote:consider how many artist/performers are waiting tables the glee kids have already had a great careers. the only question is how long will it last. If they saved enough money, and make wise investment decisions, they can live comfortably (though not lavishly) for the rest of their lives.

I meant continued good careers.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  kac on 8/18/2012, 12:22 am

fantastica wrote:ok, just learned from ontd's spoiler section that
Spoiler:
in the season's premiere there will another blaine song w/ 2 girls. gosh one solo isn't enough? I definitely wont' watch this crap!!!!

antifana tronco

Wow, Kim, tell us how you really feel. It is discouraging, eh?
kac
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/18/2012, 1:10 am

^ MEEEEOW! (the sound of cat fight) Smile

btw, I always get a lot of pleasure seeing you and I - too cats both named "Kim", having a conversation. Razz

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 8/18/2012, 5:26 am

Spoiler:

antifana tronco

The spoiler of yet another Blaine song is from here, yes?

Spoiler:
Furthermore, TVLine scored some additional scoop about the New Directions’ cover of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” that will be featured in the Season 4 premiere. Falchuk revealed lead vocals will be split among Heather Morris’ Brittany, Jenna Ushkowitz’s Tina and Darren Criss’ Blaine, and that the finished product is “awesome.”

Source

So... aside from Blaine singing a solo on the school steps with cheerios dancing behind him, we'll also see him singing lead with Tina and Brittany.

Here, let me join you, Kim tronco antifana

Although I believe my reaction when I watch those performances would be closer to this sleepp
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 8/18/2012, 5:29 am

i'm ain't even mad any more. it's a trend that will just keep going. sad but true. he will sing in every single episode, with a breather in maybe every 5th episode or something like that. very soon, he can throw full 3 hour concerts with the amount of songs he has covered on glee. for a glorified boyfriend accessory, which blaine still is given his complete lack of character development, it's just ridiculous. i guess the blee and raine show is on full force. joy us. vomit2

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/18/2012, 11:27 am

^Twinsies again.

They really don't give a rat's ass about ruining their own show, do they?
Or can they really be that blind? unsure

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing on 8/18/2012, 12:07 pm

tanita_mors wrote:i'm ain't even mad any more. it's a trend that will just keep going. sad but true. he will sing in every single episode, with a breather in maybe every 5th episode or something like that. very soon, he can throw full 3 hour concerts with the amount of songs he has covered on glee. for a glorified boyfriend accessory, which blaine still is given his complete lack of character development, it's just ridiculous. i guess the blee and raine show is on full force. joy us. vomit2

Have to agree with this. I almost feel bad for the Blane fans because they are desperate to see is character developed and all they're getting is a bunch of songs. Sure, the songs are fun, but they do absolutely nothing to further his character development. At best, his solos just reiterate what we already know is happening instead of building on it. Or they use the solos as a way of getting Blaine from point A to C without explaining what happened to B (like in DWS - Blaine went immediately from being hurt about Kurt texting with Chandler to angrily calling Kurt out as a cheater to the rest of ND). The only conclusion that I can come up with is either this is motivated strictly by Itunes sales expectations, or they don't believe that Darren as a performer is capable of more. Either way, it's not enough for me to get irritated about anymore and, like Rachel's solos, they're easy to ignore and tune out.
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  M&M on 8/18/2012, 12:39 pm

Spoiler:

antifana tronco

Spoiler:
Oddly, of the two we know about, this one makes sense because the are all trying out for group lead. The one where he is supposedly singing to Kurt in the courtyard makes no sense, as far as I'm concerned. It was just a reason to get Kurt to the school so he can talk to Sue and bring in Wade/Unique.
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  kac on 8/18/2012, 3:55 pm

fantastica wrote:^ MEEEEOW! (the sound of cat fight) Smile

btw, I always get a lot of pleasure seeing you and I - too cats both named "Kim", having a conversation. Razz

No cat fight, I agree with you. Maybe not with the chainsaw (they freak me out), but I agree.
kac
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/18/2012, 4:17 pm

about blaine singing too much - you are lucky if you really really love his singing. I mean I know there are a lot of fans who get eargasm just hearing him speak let alone sing. if you happen to belong to that group - the more songs the merrier. but for people who don't care about his singing and prefer to see other certain people sing more, then it's downright frustration. It's not about blaine hate, but too much of him takes away from other people, and it's hard not to watch/listen if you must watch the show. I say must because most of us here must watch at least part of the show due to Chris. Smile

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  kac on 8/18/2012, 4:50 pm

I am OK with Blaine and like listening to him sing and yet I think there is too much of him. I want to listen to others too, especially Chris. Favouritism bothers me.
kac
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/18/2012, 5:26 pm

kac wrote:I am OK with Blaine and like listening to him sing and yet I think there is too much of him. I want to listen to others too, especially Chris. Favouritism bothers me.
banzai ^THIS.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/18/2012, 5:49 pm

favoritism bothers me whenever my favorite doesn't match writer's favorite. fanny2

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/18/2012, 6:05 pm

fantastica wrote:favoritism bothers me whenever my favorite doesn't match writer's favorite. fanny2
Razz

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 8/18/2012, 7:13 pm

I hate favoritism too. I understand if writers like more a chracter than another but PLEASE don't throwing up in our faces.

However, I was thinking when some gleeks complained that Kurt had so much screen on season 2, personally I don't think it was that much and it wasn't a big deal for me because well I'm a Kurtsie,but do you think it could be compared with what's happening with Blaine?.

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/18/2012, 7:42 pm

^No.

Kurt didn't have much screentime at all in season 2. In some episodes he was practically invisible, or only showed up to sing lipsynch backup for Blaine as one of the Pips. Blaine got a lot of exposure already back then, especially for a character that was purely created to be a (guest) support/serving character for main character Kurt.

I think the whole debacle of season 2 being accused of becoming the Kurt Hummel show stems from the seriousness of Kurt's bullying story arc that:
1) made an impact and therefore stuck in people's minds, so it seemed like it took up a lot of screentime, but it really didn't, and
2) made it obvious that Chris/Kurt had been promoted to a higher tier in the cast members department (which had Rachel and Finn's fans protesting), and
3) was resented by a lot of Gleeks who watched Glee for the 'comedy' and didn't want the show 'turning into a PSA'.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top