The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell Read and Discuss thread!

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell Read and Discuss thread!

Post  Ireth on 8/5/2012, 7:23 am

I just finished reading the book, and I loved it!

Spoiler:
Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood were awesome! Their love triangle with Jack was fun to see. It's funny, because my feelings towards these two girls are completely different in TLoS than in the originals. When I was a little girl, I felt really sad for Baby Bear and was extremely angry at this "entitled thieving girl" and wondering why she was allowed to get away Scot-free. But I really sympathised with Goldilocks in TLoS and thought she was awesome and badass. As for Red, when I first read Little Red Riding Hood, I really felt sorry for the poor little girl who was sent into the forest all by herself but in TLoS she was the character I loved to be annoyed by.

I knew all along about the children's father, but I was so surprised to read that Grandma was the Fairy Godmother. I was so shocked lol.
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 on 8/5/2012, 8:01 am

I don't have the book yet,but ordered it online last night. I did not order the audio yet,but plan to soon.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Both Chris C & Max A are great actors. Hope they work together again someday.

Huge fan of the talented,  kind  sweet, wonderful  Chris  Colfer

Really enjoyed Old Dog New Tricks. The Best Glee episode in a long time.
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady on 8/5/2012, 10:42 am

FanofChrisC&MaxA1 wrote: I don't have the book yet,but ordered it online last night. I did not order the audio yet,but plan to soon.

I ordered my signed copy last month from USA, but I´m still waiting :(
Just hope that there´s no need to know all the fairytale characters and their stories before I start reading, because for example "Goldie" - I have no idea who is she - don´t know this fairytale.
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 8/5/2012, 1:27 pm

Ireth wrote:I just finished reading the book, and I loved it!

Spoiler:
Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood were awesome! Their love triangle with Jack was fun to see. It's funny, because my feelings towards these two girls are completely different in TLoS than in the originals. When I was a little girl, I felt really sad for Baby Bear and was extremely angry at this "entitled thieving girl" and wondering why she was allowed to get away Scot-free. But I really sympathised with Goldilocks in TLoS and thought she was awesome and badass. As for Red, when I first read Little Red Riding Hood, I really felt sorry for the poor little girl who was sent into the forest all by herself but in TLoS she was the character I loved to be annoyed by.

I knew all along about the children's father, but I was so surprised to read that Grandma was the Fairy Godmother. I was so shocked lol.

Spoiler:
Like both girls too. I know Red can be really annoyed most of the time but she usually makes laugh. The letter she wrote to Goldie apologizing for what she did it was hilarious, though she meant any word, I understand why Goldie wanted to hit her Razz
Regarding Goldielocks, she's been one of those characters that I never put attention and never thought what it could happened with her life, probably because she's not as popular as Red, Snow White ,Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. So thanks to Chris I started to be more interested on her. I even had to translate her name into spanish to remember who was she.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 8/5/2012, 2:09 pm

I got my audiobook and started to listen to it yesterday. Chris' voice is distracting the narrative. Laughing Granted, I was listening to it while cycling but still because I know the story just listening his voice has become the main focus. I'm glad that I read the book first since now I have the privledge to focus on how he himself has imagined the characters to be because you can tell a certain visuals based on the voice he has chosen. So far the Travelling Tradesman voice has been hilarious.
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 8/5/2012, 2:13 pm

Glorfindel wrote:I'm still reading the book (one chapter a day, to make it last as long as possible fanny2), and I just read Cinderella's story: how hard it is for her to be in the spotlight and all that.
Chris said that the book is partly auto-biographical, well, Cinderella's story certainly is. crycry

BTW: I love the book so far!!! wub
(Strangely intrigued by the frog man: I hope there will be more of his story.)

I love Froggy! wub The image of him gathering lily pads to put into his tea really charmed me for some reason. Out of all the fairytale characters, realistically I think he'd be the one I'd want to befriend, even if Goldilocks was my favorite. Froggy and I could sit in his house, drinking our tea and talking about books. Razz

I really respect that you're trying to read one chapter a day, to make the experience last. I could never do that. I have no self-restraint when I'm excited and have something in front of me I really want to read/watch/play. ooppss

I agree that Chris knows exactly how Cinderella feels, and probably wrote that part based on his own experiences. :( But at least after that book-signing tour, now he has absolute confirmation that there are so many people out there who cherish him for him, and we couldn't be prouder or more in love with him.

FunnyLady wrote:Just hope that there´s no need to know all the fairytale characters and their stories before I start reading, because for example "Goldie" - I have no idea who is she - don´t know this fairytale.

This is a good question. I think it's easier to understand if you know all the fairytales already, but for quite a few of them - like the princesses - there are brief mentions and overviews of their original tales, so you won't be lost. But not knowing a lot of the fairytales will probably make the book even more exciting and "fresh" for you, you'll get the opportunity to be introduced to several of these characters for the first time through Chris's version of them, and that's really neat. neutre
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/5/2012, 3:12 pm

ColferGirl wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:(Strangely intrigued by the frog man: I hope there will be more of his story.)

I love Froggy! wub The image of him gathering lily pads to put into his tea really charmed me for some reason. Out of all the fairytale characters, realistically I think he'd be the one I'd want to befriend, even if Goldilocks was my favorite. Froggy and I could sit in his house, drinking our tea and talking about books. Razz
His self chosen loneliness intrigues me, the way he knew he wasn't ready to face the world looking like he did: that he hadn't 'learned' his lesson yet.
I hope there will be more of him, either in this book or the next, but don't tell me if you already know!!! I have my suspicions and ideas about him, and I want to find out if I'm right.

I really respect that you're trying to read one chapter a day, to make the experience last. I could never do that. I have no self-restraint when I'm excited and have something in front of me I really want to read/watch/play. ooppss
TBH: if I wouldn't have internet and things like this forum to keep my occupied I would not be able to control myself. And the audiobook is really tempting, especially after all that I've been reading about it from fans.
I read the last Harry Potter book in one long read, in a day and a night, and afterwards I kind of regretted it. I finally found out what was going to happen, and loved the book, but I lost a lot of the details, and you can only read a book for the first time once.

I agree that Chris knows exactly how Cinderella feels, and probably wrote that part based on his own experiences. :( But at least after that book-signing tour, now he has absolute confirmation that there are so many people out there who cherish him for him, and we couldn't be prouder or more in love with him.
I agree completely. Smile

FunnyLady wrote:Just hope that there´s no need to know all the fairytale characters and their stories before I start reading, because for example "Goldie" - I have no idea who is she - don´t know this fairytale.

This is a good question. I think it's easier to understand if you know all the fairytales already, but for quite a few of them - like the princesses - there are brief mentions and overviews of their original tales, so you won't be lost. But not knowing a lot of the fairytales will probably make the book even more exciting and "fresh" for you, you'll get the opportunity to be introduced to several of these characters for the first time through Chris's version of them, and that's really neat. neutre
And there's always google and internet. fanny2
Maybe that's part of what Chris wants with this book: that people rediscover the old fairytales and look them up?

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 8/5/2012, 3:22 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

I've been wondering this, because Chris seems to be really excited about Mother Goose, but in here she isn't really a character but this abstract old lady who has gathered bunch of stories and rhymes together in this funny little book. Is there a real character of Mother Goose in the english language fairy tale fable or are we just talking about the same, quite undefined storytelling old woman? humhum
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady on 8/8/2012, 2:12 pm

Hi everyone, a great day for me. My signed copy of LOS finally arrived!! And now the hardest part. Read the whole book in english Smile
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/8/2012, 3:05 pm

^ great way to learn English! Smile I promise you Chris' book is very easy to read even for children, so you should have no problem.

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady on 8/8/2012, 3:11 pm

Hope you right. However ..... thanks for Google translater Smile
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/8/2012, 3:27 pm

These are short clips of some TLOS characters:
http://soundcloud.com/hachetteaudio/sets/the-land-of-stories-characters/

Don't listen to it if you don't want to get spoiled. neutre

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady on 8/8/2012, 3:40 pm

Simply perfect. Once again I have to bow to his talent. Must get my own audio version.
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/8/2012, 4:10 pm

fantastica wrote:

These are short clips of some TLOS characters:
http://soundcloud.com/hachetteaudio/sets/the-land-of-stories-characters/

Don't listen to it if you don't want to get spoiled. neutre
The nuances he gives each character are great. wub

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady on 8/8/2012, 4:35 pm

fantastica wrote:^ great way to learn English! Smile I promise you Chris' book is very easy to read even for children, so you should have no problem.

I already read the first chapter. You were right, it´s quite easy to read. BTW, can´t wait to read about the Evil Queen story. It´s very good start - it makes me read more and more :-))
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/8/2012, 4:37 pm

^ i figure if you can read our board, you can read that book. Smile the first few chaps are a bit sLow because it's foundational, but later it picks up and gets really exciting. have fun!

Last edited by fantastica on 8/8/2012, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/8/2012, 5:41 pm

fantastica wrote:^ i figure if you can read our board, you can read that book. Smile the first few chaps are a bit show because it's foundational, but later it picks up and gets really exciting. have fun!
I've read this before from a few others who have read the book. But personally I like the action in those first few chapters more than some of the first few chapters of the hunt for the magical objects (although I like those too, don't get me wrong).
But I'm not far into the book yet (Conner and Alex are in the troll dungeons), so maybe the most exiting parts are yet to come. neutre

I like how Chris creates so many questions in the book, questions about characters or objects. I think I figured a few of them out, but I could be totally wrong too. I like that. Smile

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/10/2012, 6:57 pm

copying Marie's post from the appreciation thread because this is a better home for it:

Glorfindel wrote:Chris as the Magical Mirror on his audiobook:
CCN - Magical Mirror

Hot d*mn!

why is hte mirror whispering? tonguue

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/14/2012, 9:55 am

^Because it's sexy as hell? blushh Smile

So I just finished the book. I promised myself to only read a chapter a day, but once the children were captured by the Evil Queen and she started to use the spell I had to read on untill the end.

Loved it!

(Spoilers alert)
- The twins are nice, very different in character, but it is very believable that they love each other. And their dynamic is great! I don't find Alex annoying at all and Conner is funny in a hilarious sarcastic way. tonguue
The important thing is that I could identify with both of them and see their different POV's.
- The journey and quest for the Wishing Spell items was fun. The puzzle wasn't that difficult to figure out for a grown up, but I guess that children will identify with the twins and enjoy collecting all these fairytale items along with them.
- All the princesses were quite fleshed out. I like that they all had their own character, they were not just 'being a princess'. Writing for female characters is definitely one of Chris's stronger points.
- Goldilocks was brave and kicked some serious *ss. hapitgh
- The Wolves were scary, but big animals with claws and teeth always scare me (not that fond of big dogs). unsure
- The Evil Queen's story was moving, and I like how she turned into a 'human' when she held the stone heart, and that her actions weren't so much excused, but merely explained: she was simply 'heartless'. She broke under her pains and heartship and had her heart removed, and that made her so cold and do what she did. Of course that's not always how it goes and people are still accountable for their actions, but there is a lot of symbolism and food for thought in that story.
- Little Red Riding Hood was hilarious, and I guess prince Charlie better watch his back, because this young lady has smelled fresh blood. Razz
- The ending was partially predictable (Froggy, the Fairy Godmother, the journal), but it was entertaining nonetheless, and there were enough surprises and oneliners (from Conner mostly) to make me gasp and snigger in those last few chapters.
- Finding the journal and following their own father's footsteps was bittersweet for the twins and their grandma, but it felt a bit like a mourning process, a closure, and I loved that extra layer in the book.

Some of the quotes in the book were a bit heartbreaking, especially when you consider that Chris wrote them.
wub This one got stuck in my mind:
"It doesn't matter how greatly you've been hurt or how much you're hurting, it's what you do with the pain that counts. You could cry for years, and rightfully so, or you could choose to learn and grow from it. Take it from me: I spent years hiding in a hole, afraid to come out because of what people would think of me. But one day I decided to leave, and I ended up saving lives!" crycry

My most precious storybook of my youth has beautiful drawings in it, and there's a drawing of the prince in 'The princess and the frog' after the spell was broken. He is handsome, has dark hair and sparkling eyes, just like Froggy aka prince Charlie. I had a crush on that drawing when I was a wee young lass (untill I saw Disney's Snow White: then I crushed heavily on her prince Charming). blushh
I think I'm a bit in love with Froggy. wub

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 8/14/2012, 10:46 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Because it's sexy as hell? blushh Smile

Chris seems to think that it's scary Razz

Glorfindel wrote:
Some of the quotes in the book were a bit heartbreaking, especially when you consider that Chris wrote them.
wub This one got stuck in my mind:
"It doesn't matter how greatly you've been hurt or how much you're hurting, it's what you do with the pain that counts. You could cry for years, and rightfully so, or you could choose to learn and grow from it. Take it from me: I spent years hiding in a hole, afraid to come out because of what people would think of me. But one day I decided to leave, and I ended up saving lives!" crycry

This is one of the dialogue that I've identified as a piece of Chris's soul. He's really laying himself bare to his fans (who know of his painful past and his rise to fame, of his taking on the role of Kurt Hummel and how that had saved lives and inspired people).
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  happydays on 8/15/2012, 4:18 pm

I hope I'm not late to the party! Smile

Just as Glorfindel here, I was determined to read only one or two chapters a day, but when the big showdown came, I couldn’t control myself, and read the last 100 pages in one go. I read the book very slowly and carefully in general, because I didn’t want to miss any important details or quotes that would ring true. And there were quite a few of them. This especially caught my attention:

“The world will always choose convenience over reality,” the Evil Queen said. “It’s easier to hate, blame, and fear than it is to understand. No one wants the truth, they want entertainment.”

It isn’t some new discovery, nor an exceptional way of words, but it’s so true in Chris’s case and I can relate to it as well. This just shows what others have mentioned before – this whole book is so him and the twins aren’t his only reflections.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot. It was very easy to read, I was surprised by how (relatively) little words I had to look up in the dictionary. I wasn’t too annoyed by the flaws of the writing style (maybe because I’m a non-native speaker), though I do see that there’s a lot to learn (especially after ColferGirl’s insights and comments, those were very interesting to read, thank you hapitgh ).

Chris said he wanted to remind people of fairytales, and he succeeded, I remembered myself being curled up with a book as a child. And I used to read way more… This may sound exaggerated, but TLOS brought back the joy of reading to me. I haven’t been, um, attracted to a book in a really long time. This just kept sucking me in. I honestly didn’t think I would like it that much. The Colfer humor really helped tonguue My favorites were Red (I love her vanity, but oh, poor Froggy. With the way she is now, he deserves better!!!) and Goldie (her hassling with Red was hilarious).

Sure, the story consisted mostly of action and could’ve used some more internal monologue. Chris just had to fit so much into one book… If it were more wordy with descriptions it would have ended up twice as long. Sometimes I thought that it would’ve been smarter to leave a cliffhanger in the end, leave the twins in the Land of Stories and free them in the next book. But maybe that wouldn’t have worked with a children’s book, I don’t know. I just felt like the stories were burned through too quickly, but that may have been influenced by the fact Chris had to write it very fast.

Right now I’m about a third into the audio book. It’s amazing so far and there are so many characters that are yet to show up… I’m a huge lover of Chris’s voice, singing and speaking, so I couldn’t be happier that he did this. The little British voices are really cute, and I find Malumclaw’s very sexy tonguue And with the possibility that Glee won’t let Chris sing in S4, I’m gonna be listening to this for a long time wub
happydays
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 8/15/2012, 5:28 pm

happydays wrote:Right now I’m about a third into the audio book. It’s amazing so far and there are so many characters that are yet to show up… I’m a huge lover of Chris’s voice, singing and speaking, so I couldn’t be happier that he did this. The little British voices are really cute, and I find Malumclaw’s very sexy tonguue And with the possibility that Glee won’t let Chris sing in S4, I’m gonna be listening to this for a long time wub

I finished my audiobook yesterday and I'm still at awe, you're in for a treat. Chris will definately have so many offers as a cartoon voice once and if he has time for that. The images he is creating with all these small nuances and tonal changes of his voice is amazing.

I'm so used to the monotone audiobooks that Chris' version of his own book took awhile to get adjusted, you had to sort of begin to listen as if you were listening to a movie or a play. And the fact that he writes sometimes like a cinematographer doesn't hurt. I would be exhilarated when a character was exhilarated and scared when the twins were scared.
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/15/2012, 6:34 pm

happydays wrote:I hope I'm not late to the party! Smile

...This especially caught my attention:

“The world will always choose convenience over reality,” the Evil Queen said. “It’s easier to hate, blame, and fear than it is to understand. No one wants the truth, they want entertainment.”
this too. when i read it I thought "wow this is definitely chris talking, and it is soooooo true! what a wise young man he is!

my only gripe about the book is that the poor wolves are still evil. I hope they will be shown a more sympathetic light next time - being hated, feared and discriminated; all they want is to feed their tummy and raise their pups. they want to survive just like humans. but then, it's not Chris' fault. all fairy tales portray wolves as the bad guys. I do hope in his next book he will make them more "human".

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 8/16/2012, 7:52 am

happydays wrote:
Right now I’m about a third into the audio book. It’s amazing so far and there are so many characters that are yet to show up… I’m a huge lover of Chris’s voice, singing and speaking, so I couldn’t be happier that he did this. The little British voices are really cute, and I find Malumclaw’s very sexy tonguue And with the possibility that Glee won’t let Chris sing in S4, I’m gonna be listening to this for a long time wub

I gather you haven't gotten around to hearing the Man in the Mirror fanny2
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/16/2012, 8:15 am

Delight wrote:
happydays wrote:

I gather you haven't gotten around to hearing the Man in the Mirror fanny2
Prepare yourself for an eargasm. hapitgh

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top