The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell Read and Discuss thread!

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell Read and Discuss thread!

Post  Delight on 7/25/2012, 9:59 am

Ah, Glorfindel! Welcome back! neutre

I trust that the rest of your holidays went smoothly? I hope you and your family had a great holiday.

Thanks for posting the link to the magic harp song in the audiobook! Gosh, that's some impressive vibrato I'm hearing, aren't I? Was this the only part in the book where Chris sang? (Wish there's more though...)

Maybe I can try to search around for audio clips of the Magic Mirror. ColferGirl had said that he sounded like nothing that could be described, and I'm really curious.

I love hearing about your daughter's enjoyment of TLOS. Is she as great a fan of Chris as you? Smile
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/25/2012, 10:24 am

Delight wrote:Ah, Glorfindel! Welcome back! neutre

I trust that the rest of your holidays went smoothly? I hope you and your family had a great holiday.
Yes, thank you. This holiday really made up for the past 2 years of trouble for my family.
After I've seen all the Chris interviews and done my chores and such, I'll make a report of my holiday with some pics in another thread. coool

Thanks for posting the link to the magic harp song in the audiobook! Gosh, that's some impressive vibrato I'm hearing, aren't I? Was this the only part in the book where Chris sang? (Wish there's more though...)
Yes, that's some impressive vibrato (and heavily exagerated by Chris). neutre
And, just because I was curious and checked it: Chris reaches a high E in that magic harp song. I bet he loved doing that. Smile
(And I must say I think it's wonderful he feels so confident and free to just include something like this in the audiobook, even though he knows how some people respond to his voice: kudos, Chris!)

Maybe I can try to search around for audio clips of the Magic Mirror. ColferGirl had said that he sounded like nothing that could be described, and I'm really curious.
I dont know about other singing or the Magic Mirror. I haven't listened to the audiobook yet, I just found the magic harp song on tumblr. I can't wait to listen to the audiobook, but I want to read LoS by myself first. So much to look forward to! hapitgh

I love hearing about your daughter's enjoyment of TLOS. Is she as great a fan of Chris as you? Smile
She's a Glee fan, and Kurt is her favorite character, but she enjoys most of the other characters too. She is not as big a fan of Kurt/Chris as I am (because honestly: that would be quite impossible moque ), but she's a fan alright. I think the fact that her mom is (also) so crazy about a 22-year old teen heartthrob is not helping in this matter. Somehow it's hard to fangirl and gush over a guy with your mom when you're 14. tonguue
We mostly talk about the episodes and spoilers of Glee, I show her nice pics of Chris and the cast I see on the forums, and she reads all my reviews, even though she finds them "too difficult and detailed". Teenagers. Rolling Eyes

I was rather surprised she snatched LoS out of my hands so enthusiastically when she did: I didn't know she was that interested in it.
And lol: now she is mourning that the reading of LoS goes too fast. She reads a few pages, and then tries to find something else to do for a while, before she goes back to reading a bit in LoS again. I recognize that so much in myself: delaying and stalling just so the book and the experience will last longer. neutre

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 7/26/2012, 9:33 am

Glorfindel wrote:
After I've seen all the Chris interviews and done my chores and such, I'll make a report of my holiday with some pics in another thread. coool

No hurry. It'd probably take you a while to catch up on all the Chris stuff that had been happening in the past few weeks (even if you have been trying to keep yourself up-to-date though out your holidays Smile )

Yes, do show us the pretty pictures when you can!

Glorfindel wrote:
Yes, that's some impressive vibrato (and heavily exagerated by Chris). neutre
And, just because I was curious and checked it: Chris reaches a high E in that magic harp song. I bet he loved doing that. Smile

I was thinking that maybe the song would be better with some accompanying harp music. But I suppose that's too much to ask for, right? ooppss Poor Chris, some fans (like me) are just too greedy and too difficult to satisfy tonguue

Glorfindel wrote:She is not as big a fan of Kurt/Chris as I am (because honestly: that would be quite impossible moque ), but she's a fan alright.

That is true Smile

Glorfindel wrote:I think the fact that her mom is (also) so crazy about a 22-year old teen heartthrob is not helping in this matter. Somehow it's hard to fangirl and gush over a guy with your mom when you're 14. tonguue

I wish my mom and I could crush on the same celebrity. That would at least create an opportunity for some mother-daughter bonding. Her celebrity crushes tended to be male actors of her age.

Glorfindel wrote:And lol: now she is mourning that the reading of LoS goes too fast. She reads a few pages, and then tries to find something else to do for a while, before she goes back to reading a bit in LoS again. I recognize that so much in myself: delaying and stalling just so the book and the experience will last longer. neutre

I may have made a mistake by devouring the book in one day. I'm not one who can endure much of 'delayed gratification' blushh . Your daughter is smarter than me in that aspect.
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz on 7/26/2012, 12:03 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

(Why do I get the feeling I will be making a voice review about the audiobook at some point?)

Your song reviews have brighten some of my days so, the more the merrier wub Razz Besides, wow at that magic harp song Shocked aa54 I haven't heard Chris sing like that before. I can't stop grinning while listening to it Razz Is the harp a male or female? Or it doesn't have a gender?

Glorfindel wrote:
Yes, thank you. This holiday really made up for the past 2 years of trouble for my family.

Thanks for still posting here even when you're on a trip neutre Can't wait for the coming holiday thread in this forum. I'm sure it will be filled with gorgeous pics that makes me happy Smile

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 7/26/2012, 7:45 pm

Glorfindel wrote:And then there's this:

Audio of the The Magic Harp’s song - Chris Colfer

Beautiful wub and Marie I'll read your review about this Smile

She's a Glee fan, and Kurt is her favorite character, but she enjoys most of the other characters too. She is not as big a fan of Kurt/Chris as I am (because honestly: that would be quite impossible ), but she's a fan alright. I think the fact that her mom is (also) so crazy about a 22-year old teen heartthrob is not helping in this matter

It is. I don't know how I will react if suddenly my mom is fangirling for a boy who's only a year younger than me or in the case of your daughter, less than 10 years older than her blinkk

I haven't read as much as I want but about Red Riding Hood I'd like to say that for me she's like those girls who are aspiring to be like those socialite girls or princesses in this case but sadly she didn't born in a golden crib, so that why she takes this attitude of "I'm the best and I have the best", which it can be annoy to others but deeply they're good girls with a hint of capricious and arrogance.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel on 7/29/2012, 12:11 am

Today I went to Barnes & Noble and finally got my copy of TLOS! Smile I wanted to also get the audiobook but they didn't have it. Guess I'll just download it on my iTouch.

I read the prologue and love it so far. neutre
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 7/29/2012, 1:39 am

enjoy the book sweetie!

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel on 7/29/2012, 2:21 am

fantastica wrote:enjoy the book sweetie!

Thanks! I think I'll start the first chapter tonight. I also got the official Glee yearbook and I ordered this book about The Wanted since they didn't have it in store.
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 7/31/2012, 11:39 am

My problem is I spend too much time on the forum rather than reading. I am on chapter 8. They have their mission for the wishing spell, and they have the first hints about something I think is related to their father. Well, the readers are given the hints, I don't think the kids have picked up on it yet.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 7/31/2012, 11:57 am

My 14 year old daughter finished the book a few days ago. She found the end surprising.
She worded it something like this: "You know it's going to be this way and therefore it's predictable, but it's surprising anyway..... but in a very good way." blinkk

I have no idea what that means, but she's happy with the ending, and impressed by it, so it must be good. Smile

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas on 7/31/2012, 12:37 pm

Glorfindel wrote:My 14 year old daughter finished the book a few days ago. She found the end surprising.
She worded it something like this: "You know it's going to be this way and therefore it's predictable, but it's surprising anyway..... but in a very good way." blinkk

I have no idea what that means, but she's happy with the ending, and impressed by it, so it must be good. Smile

I love hearing that someone in the actual age bracket likes it. Adults tend to overanalyse things too much, but the funny thing is that even the simplest fairy tales make you think about them long after you've heard them. I haven't yet returned to the book since by audio book will be arriving soon, I'll listen to that next and think the story more.

But after few days of finishing the book I've put it in my head under the list of recommended read. I could easily say to a young reader who is at an advanced level of english to grab the book and give it a try. Simply because it's easy reading and I love the characters of the twins.

What I would have asked Chris, just watced the Q&A from the Apple Store, is if he would have had just this one book without a sequel, would the ending be different or longer? Since the grandmother sounds too good to be true. I mean she must have had some issues with her son leaving to live in RL instead of LoS. I don't know, I would love to have that kind of pondering especially from Alex in the next book; which land is actually better to live in...and more of the choices their dad did because of love. And if the twins are fourteen in the next Chris is maybe forced to address the issue of love as well, because hormones are what they are.
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/1/2012, 6:39 am

I finally started reading the Land of Stories, The Wishing Spell, and I love it!

I sort of avoided reading it because I didn't want it to disappoint somehow (as I love reading books and am quite critical when it comes to a writer's style and quality, and lbr: this is a young celebrity's book), but I think it's really good!
I would still have read (and loved) this book if it hadn't been written by Chris, that's for sure.

My mind keeps going back and forth from: "This is so Chris", to "I can't believe he wrote this so well at such a young age". wub

When I read about the death of their father, all that the twins remembered (and didn't remember) about that: I teared up, because that's exactly how I experienced my own father's death (when I was 24), and I can't help but wonder how Chris got that feeling so right.
Maybe that paragraph seems a bit forced and made for effect to some readers (with all the "They remembered..." repetition), but it hit the exact right chord for me.

Oh, and from what I've read so far, I think Alex is more like Chris than Conner, but I agree they are both Chris: they are different sides of the same coin. neutre

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 8/1/2012, 1:45 pm

I am officially half way through with the book, and I have to admit, I see every scene as a movie scene. You can see how Chris' acting experience has colored how he writes. I can just "tell" when the audience will laugh at the things the twins do, and feel Alex's wonderment at the amazing things she is seeing. Connor is the reality. He doesn't like dealing with things that might eat him, and comments on it, Alex is busy figuring out how they fit in her memories of fairy tales. In that way, Connor is like Chris, pragmatic, but I do agree Chris is more Alex, still trying to figure out how life became so amazing.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 8/1/2012, 8:51 pm

Delight wrote:

I really appreciate the time you took to explain things in such detail for me neutre .

When you're back from seeing Chris on the book tour, I'd like it if you can elaborate a bit more about what you mean when you said that a writer can have a wonderful writing style but bad technical writing skills. I've always assumed that those two go hand in hand.

Hmmm, I'm trying to think how best to explain it. I do know that some English professors believe different things about style, and opinions differ from writer to writer too, so I can only explain it how I understand it and personally view it.

But you're definitely not wrong. Writers who have great technical skills do often have wonderful writing styles; usually they do go hand in hand. However, this isn't always true.

A writing style is a writer's unique "voice" - the result of personal choices one makes while you write. It's the voice that you "hear" while you read a book. A lot of us have commentated that Chris's book sounds like him; that's because his writing style, his writing voice, imitates his true, in-life one.

While some of the choices that develop and create a writing style include technical, grammatical matters - thus, having good technical skills automatically helps your style - several choices have little to do with grammatics, and everything to do with the personal way a writer wants to shape the story. Artistic choices.

For example, a big stylistic choice is how a writer uses description. How much, how little, when, why. Neil Gaiman, from what I've read of him (American Gods), has a writing styles where he usually uses only the minimum amount of description to tell the story. He uses just enough to keep his stories moving, and to let the reader picture things clearly in their minds, and usually no more. People I've known in classes who have used this aspect of style believe long, poetic description get in the way of the story, slows things down and pulls them out of the narrative, so they don't use it. Nor do they like reading books styled like that.

I'm the opposite. I'm a poetic prose styled writer (when I'm writing books and short stories, at least). I subconsciously and sometimes purposefully apply poetry techniques to many of my sentences, such as alliteration, and it creates a very flowing, rhythmic voice when it's read. When I use descriptions, I love to play with metaphors and similes to give the descriptions a deeper sense of emotion and meaning, because I love to be awed by words. My descriptions add layers to my stories, at the expense of slowing down the plot and making the reader trek through them to get to the action; and if you overdue it, it muddles your story and makes it harder to understand (just as a writer with a more minimalist description style runs the risk of using so little the reader can't picture what they're trying to show). But lyrical prose is something I've always admired, and my style ended up developing that way.

Styles are subjective. There is no right or wrong style, and people have very differing opinions on what kinds they like to write and/or read. (I love reading most styles, but tend to write poetic prose). However, the choices that go into how a writer uses description doesn't really depend on technical writing skill. I had the beginnings of that style when I was a young girl, probably because I picked up on it from all the books I've read. My writing voice has grown and developed as I have, but I've always had that style. I imagine Gaiman probably always wrote with a more plot-driven, description-light style, too. But in my case, it took years for my technical writing skills to catch up to what I was trying to accomplish with my writing style. My style was always good, or so I was told by my teachers, but when I finally learned good technical writing it became much more polished and refined - and I still have quite a ways to improve in both style and technique.

I hope any of that made sense. ooppss In summary, writing styles are somewhat independent from technical writing because a style is formed from many personal artistic choices; you can be naturally good at the art of writing before you're good with the formal rules. But both are needed for overall fantastic storytelling, and each works to enhance and enrich the other.
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 8/3/2012, 11:49 am

bisou Thanks, ColferGirl. You've answered with such thought and detail that I feel guilty for taking up so much of your time with my questions chuut

And you read Neil Gaiman too! hiphopa

I never thought of Neil Gaiman as an author who uses minimal description, but you could be right there. I wonder if his beginnings as a graphic novel author had something to do with this. I don't really have a writer's view when I read stories, so these aspects of writing style are things I hardly notice.

ColferGirl wrote:I'm the opposite. I'm a poetic prose styled writer (when I'm writing books and short stories, at least).

Poetic prose style... Lyrical style... Examples, please? If it isn't too much trouble Embarassed

Or, you can just name an author or two who writes in this style and I'll head off and do my own research neutre

I wonder what kind of writer I am? It'll be interesting to work it out...
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 8/3/2012, 1:39 pm

Finally I have read the book and after reading what happened with the Evil Queen I've thought that sometimes people who suffered so much when they're children, later on they can take the path of revenge and bitterness. Also it comes to my mind what Rousseau said that we born pure but the society corrupt us.

Since the beginning I knew what was going to be the end. I mean since the beginning I knew the children were connected to the Land of Stories somehow. Thought I bet the lost Prince was their father lol

The Omniscient writer fits into the category of writer style, right? I'm sorry If I'm asking something silly but I forgot almost everything from my Literature class lol.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/3/2012, 2:07 pm

i am one who believe we were born selfish, not necessarity evil, but selfish and self-centered, although incredibly innocent and naiive too. As we grow up we become more screwed up.

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 8/3/2012, 2:59 pm

Delight wrote: bisou Thanks, ColferGirl. You've answered with such thought and detail that I feel guilty for taking up so much of your time with my questions chuut

And you read Neil Gaiman too! hiphopa

I never thought of Neil Gaiman as an author who uses minimal description, but you could be right there. I wonder if his beginnings as a graphic novel author had something to do with this. I don't really have a writer's view when I read stories, so these aspects of writing style are things I hardly notice.

ColferGirl wrote:I'm the opposite. I'm a poetic prose styled writer (when I'm writing books and short stories, at least).

Poetic prose style... Lyrical style... Examples, please? If it isn't too much trouble Embarassed

Or, you can just name an author or two who writes in this style and I'll head off and do my own research neutre

I wonder what kind of writer I am? It'll be interesting to work it out...

You're very welcome, Delight. neutre Don't feel guilty, talking about it helps me get it straight in my own head too and helps me remember.

I've only read the one book by Neil Gaiman - American Gods - but I'm planning on reading much more from him, because I really liked it. In that book at least he didn't really seem to use poetic prose, but it's definitely possible that he used that style in a different book he's written (since I know there are many). Amazing writers like Gaiman can often be chameleons and write in several styles if they wish. However, being a graphic novel writer could definitely influence him to have a preference to lean toward straightforward writing styles as opposed to poetic.

And, in hindsight, saying the style Gaiman had in American Gods uses "minimalist" description wasn't the best word choice. Because it's true that writers who use the more poetic styles don't always have really long descriptions, either (though sometimes they do, and same with the more straightforward styles. J.R.R. Tolkein and George R. R. Martin can attest to that, they describe quite a bit in their fantasy epics, big long paragraphs, but it's often not poetic descriptions).

It's not so much the length of the descriptions that separate this aspect of style, as it is how the descriptions are presented. (I'm so sorry, this is why I'm not an English teacher, now I'm making this confusing for you ooppss Granted, I've only been in college two years so I still have a lot to learn myself, and can be mistaken/misunderstanding what I've been taught). In fact, poetic vs. non-poetic styles don't just center on the descriptions either. Every sentence of narration in a story contributes to its style, so any sentence can be poetic or not, not just the ones used for descriptions...descriptions are just an easy aspect of style to focus on to explain it.

Gaiman usually describes things "straight", he doesn't dress it up pretty with lots of metaphor or similes or poetic word choices. He wants you to see his story clearly and as it is, and this moves along his books and makes them good page turners. Another example of a writer like this would be the fanfic writer Miggy. Her stories Special and the Mostverse fall under this style. Pulling up any chapter from one of her stories and looking at how she describes would be a great example. (In fact, she's written on her tumblr that one of her favorite books ever is Gaiman's American Gods, so it's not a coincidence she likes to write in that style too hapitgh )

Writers who use poetic styles do like to dress words up pretty, and they look and feel quite different on the page. My favorite writer ever, Markus Zusak who wrote The Book Thief , often used poetic prose style in that novel. He's a writer I aspire to be like, I love him. Fanfic writer Rainjoy also uses it, which is why I adore her too. There's a real beauty and flow to how she uses words that I admire.

I hope you don't find it really arrogant to use my own writing as an example to show you lyrical/poetic prose, since I'm only an amateur and nothing like the pros, it's just the easiest and quickest thing I can pull up, but here's a few snippets from my own work that show the poetic style;

Angela’s voice was as damp as her skin, her words tumbling breathlessly to land in Jamie’s lap. Jamie could barely feel them, the air pressed out of her lungs and into her head, leaving her dizzy. There in the dark the secrets were laid bare, written on the raindrops that clung to Angela’s lashes and dripped, disappearing onto shining skin.

Wherever he went, Fadil knew he would hear it. It drifted down the streets, creeping, curling its way into open windows and the cracks of doors; slowly, slowly finding the path to his skin, to his bones, to his blood. A relentless chanting created a chorus thousands of voices strong rising into the heat, reverberating upon the stones and in the steeled minds of a revolution.

A boy her age leaned his arm against the jeep, a can of Bud Light dangling from his hand and the tang of arrogance heavy on his breath and curved into his lips. A pair of sunglasses sat upon his brown hair, his bare feet filthy with sand. She spared him a glance before scorching a figure eight into the gathering dark.

The memory flitted behind her eyelids, searing and striking as the blood of the sparkler that she splattered over the dusk. It played, over and over, a scratched vinyl stuck on the same note in her mind.

His murmur shivered down her skin, her blue eyes caught by the intensity of his.

The reason these fall under the poetic style is how I used the words. "tang of arrogance heavy on his breath", "his murmur shivered down her skin", "written on the raindrops that clung to her lashes"...I described things in more poetic ways that don't really, actually happen in life in order to add layers of meaning to those moments without using extra action or dialogue. I also often pair words together that start with the same letter, like "his bare feet filthy with sand" or "sparkler that she splattered"; that's the poetry technique alliteration, and that creates a certain sound and flow while you read. Comparing and contrasting with paragraphs from Miggy's stories could help show the difference between the styles if seeing it isn't enough, I'm not sure how else to explain it.

If you'd like a brief overview of a few styles of writing, here's a website you can check out; What is your writing style?

And here's a website that discusses how to make a personal writing style more poetic and lyrical; Writing Poetic Prose

Probably the most important thing to note about styles is that ultimately they are just inherent in a work, and subtle, just the sound of that writer's voice as they tell their story to you. Reading an author's entire book/story, instead of an isolated sentence or paragraph, is always the best way to get a feel for their style and voice. Which is why there are countless styles, because each one is ultimately personal and unique to that author in some way. So even if I say Gaiman and Miggy have similar styles in one aspect, they're still very different because of their own personal voices, and same with any comparison of styles between any author. And all styles can be considered wonderful depending on your taste and how you like your stories told. neutre

Last edited by ColferGirl on 8/3/2012, 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 8/3/2012, 3:04 pm

brisallie wrote:

The Omniscient writer fits into the category of writer style, right? I'm sorry If I'm asking something silly but I forgot almost everything from my Literature class lol.

"Omniscient" actually falls under the Point of View category in writing, not necessarily writing style. neutre Books are all told from a certain perspective, or point of view, ranging from the omniscient (the narrator knows everything about everyone and can tell you details about any character's thoughts or any plot event, past or future; almost like a nameless god is telling the story) to first-person (the narrator is the main character, and you know and are shown only what that character sees, understands, and feels. The story is told through their eyes only).

The Hunger Games trilogy was written in first-person point of view.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo is written in omniscient point of view.
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 8/3/2012, 4:51 pm

Thanks for your answer Smile

And sorry but I read what you replied to Delight and I understand that poetic style writing is when writers like to adorn their words using metaphors or poetic choices . I just remember that I have read books with that writing style which usually are quite detailed and they can write a full paragraph describing how majestic is the palace for instance.

i am one who believe we were born selfish, not necessarity evil, but selfish and self-centered, although incredibly innocent and naiive too. As we grow up we become more screwed up.

I'm agree that we born self-centered and selfish because I studied in psychology last year that during the first years of our childhood our EGO is the most important thing and through the years we are taught to control that but is complicated in this competitve society, so if you grow up more screwed up or not, I believe still depends on your life experiences.

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 8/4/2012, 1:19 pm

^ You're welcome. neutre

So, for people who have finished the book, I've been wondering....

Spoiler:
In one of the dozen interviews Chris did about The Land of Stories, he mentioned that there was a villain he wanted to use in the first book, but decided to put in the second book instead. He also said he was excited for the sequel because chaos breaks loose in the fairytale world, or something like that.

Which villain do you think Chris meant? I thought maybe he was referring to the Enchantress, who was spoken of several times in the story but never made an appearance, and she could definitely wreak widespread havoc. We didn't meet Cinderella's wicked stepmother, either, nor did we meet Rumplestiltzkin.

I also hope his original villain The Huntress isn't truly dead (we didn't see a body so it's possible fanny2 ), since I'd love to know more about her, too, and she definitely has a motive for revenge now.
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 8/4/2012, 1:33 pm

^ there are so many villains in fairy tales. anyone who haven't appeared can be.

fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 8/4/2012, 4:01 pm

ColferGirl wrote:^ You're welcome. neutre

Spoiler:
In one of the dozen interviews Chris did about The Land of Stories, he mentioned that there was a villain he wanted to use in the first book, but decided to put in the second book instead. He also said he was excited for the sequel because chaos breaks loose in the fairytale world, or something like that.

Which villain do you think Chris meant? I thought maybe he was referring to the Enchantress, who was spoken of several times in the story but never made an appearance, and she could definitely wreak widespread havoc. We didn't meet Cinderella's wicked stepmother, either, nor did we meet Rumplestiltzkin.

I also hope his original villain The Huntress isn't truly dead (we didn't see a body so it's possible fanny2 ), since I'd love to know more about her, too, and she definitely has a motive for revenge now.

[spoil2] Wasn't the Enchantress the one who kidnapped Evly? I remember she mentioned in her story she was the one who put the Sleeping Kingdom under the spell humhum

I'd love to see The Huntress too. Is there's gonna be a battle, Goldie needs a proper oponent :D [/spoil2]

brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 8/5/2012, 3:44 am

ColferGirl wrote:
I hope you don't find it really arrogant to use my own writing as an example to show you lyrical/poetic prose, since I'm only an amateur and nothing like the pros, it's just the easiest and quickest thing I can pull up, but here's a few snippets from my own work that show the poetic style;

No, not at all. It's nice of you to show me examples of your own. I do understand the lyrical prose better now that you've shown me the examples.

Which reminds me-- The lyrical prose seemed to have impressed my teacher more when I was in secondary school. I recall writing this short story (my assignment at the time) where it began with the flowery descriptions of steam from cooked rice moving like a dancer in the air. The story abruptly switched styles after that and the storytelling took on a more direct 'and then this happened and then that happened' kind of style. My teacher was almost disappointed with the way the story progressed and ended, what with the beginning being so lyrical and all.

The lyrical prose does appear more impressive when it's written well. The challenge, as you've said, is to not distract the reader too much from the story being told.

ColferGirl wrote:
If you'd like a brief overview of a few styles of writing, here's a website you can check out; What is your writing style?

And here's a website that discusses how to make a personal writing style more poetic and lyrical; Writing Poetic Prose

Thank you for the links. I'll definitely check them out. neutre

ColferGirl wrote:^ You're welcome. neutre

Spoiler:

Hmm... Do we need spoiler tags in this spoilerish thread? Oh well, I'll do the same just in case.

Spoiler:
My impression from the interview is that it's a character whom Chris hadn't gotten around to introducing yet.

But your guesses are good ones. The enchantress (who more or less created the Evil Queen) can still be alive, and so can the Huntress. Both of them have good reasons to do bad things to the 'good guys' in the Land of Stories.

From the way Chris talked about Mother Goose, I had thought I would see more of this character in TLOS- Wishing Spell, but apparently he's saved that for the second book.

The troll and goblin kings are the other potential Book2 bad guys (maybe forced to do even more evil-doings by someone far more cruel and powerful than them?). Chris did tweet that we'll be seeing the troll princess again.
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 8/5/2012, 7:04 am

I'm still reading the book (one chapter a day, to make it last as long as possible fanny2), and I just read Cinderella's story: how hard it is for her to be in the spotlight and all that.
Chris said that the book is partly auto-biographical, well, Cinderella's story certainly is. crycry

BTW: I love the book so far!!! wub
(Strangely intrigued by the frog man: I hope there will be more of his story.)

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top