Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

+17
ColferGirl
ChrisColferFan1
Sani
Divalicious
Buenos
ladydianab
brisallie
sahhar
BlueJazz
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Jellyrolls
Emile
Delight
fantastica
ColferInspired
arina
21 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

Post  fantastica 8/9/2012, 9:21 pm

ColferInspired wrote:The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m8d5piK4yD1r0zy2ho1_500
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m8d5piK4yD1r0zy2ho2_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m8ic9y6siK1qh5dyro1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

Post  Delight 8/10/2012, 11:44 am

Review – The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by debuting author and well-known actor, Chris Colfer, is the entertaining tale of two twins, Alex and Conner Bailey, who fall into a magical storybook and encounter fairytale characters and settings you know and love but with an original twist. It’s mostly aimed at kids from ages 10-12, but as an 18-year-old, I enjoyed it nevertheless. I must admit, as a massive fan of Colfer’s who bought three different formats of the book on the day it was released and was up until 6 AM so I could finish it in less than 24 hours, I am not exactly unbiased. However, as I delved further into the book, I soon had to remind myself that the person who wrote it was, in fact, the same man I spend countless hours freaking out over; I simply lost myself in the story. The characters were captivating, the plot was suspenseful, the lessons were powerful, and it is a book I was incredibly eager to share with the people in my life (including my best friend and my younger sister—who’ve already given it glowing reviews).

The book follows the twins as they move through the various territories in the Land of Stories and the items they must find to complete the “wishing spell” and wish their way back home. Among the many things they discover, they encounter princesses, a dapper frog, crying fairies, an Evil Queen with a sad story, and a Goldilocks on the run with some major sword skills. The book moves fast and the plot keeps going, leaving you wondering what will happen next and holding your breath during the obstacles the twins must overcome. As mentioned previously, I began reading and hardly stopped until it was finished.

Throughout the plot, I was impressed with how well the different elements of the story tied in with each other and the degree to which

he thought this through left my jaw dropping at some of the bigger surprises toward the end of the story. Everything is connected in some way and the common denominator in much of these connections is love. Love is the primary motive for the majority of the characters and, while the book is certainly not a romance novel (it’s certainly not the point of the book), it does contain romantic elements that incite an emotional response. In addition to adventure and romance, familial love plays a huge part in the dynamic between Alex, Conner, and their parents (one of which is deceased). Perhaps one of the strongest themes of the book is the idea that “villains are just victims whose stories haven’t been told.” At times, I did find that message to be slightly problematic if you applied it to real life (especially if you applied it to my own personal experiences) but then again, it is aimed toward younger people and my ten-year-old self would have adored it. Despite that, I was taken by the emotional depth the characters displayed and the way Colfer handled the heavier themes (particularly loss and love) in a way that was appropriate for children and meaningful for all readers.

At times, I was reminded that this is ultimately a children’s book with the simple sentence structures and the repetitive “he said” and “she said,” but Colfer’s writing style still manages to shine, assuring us all that he’s not just an actor attempting to write, but an actor and a writer. I look forward to more works from Chris Colfer the author, especially the upcoming sequel which he’s currently writing and takes place two years into the twins’ future. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell is a strong first work from a young author and will hook anyone who’s ready to surrender themselves to the whims of a magical land with fanciful characters that still manage to be so very real and human.

Source- Withanaccent.com
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/10/2012, 1:12 pm

Apparently Chris is still #1 on NYT best seller list in the third week! wub The first week sales was likely from stans. the second week sale was probably still mostly from from fans and word of mouth as well as being on the NYT best seller list. the third week must be mostly from word of mouth and that NYT best seller list - yes being on that list alone is a huge selling point. well done kiddo!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/10/2012, 10:48 pm

fantastica wrote:Apparently Chris is still #1 on NYT best seller list in the third week! The first week sales was likely from stans. the second week sale was probably still mostly from from fans and word of mouth as well as being on the NYT best seller list. the third week must be mostly from word of mouth and that NYT best seller list - yes being on that list alone is a huge selling point. well done kiddo!

This is wonderful news. It makes me proud of him all over again. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 413578547
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/14/2012, 1:58 am

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m85rjhtBOa1rtc7mco1_500

haha!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/15/2012, 11:36 am

Some lovely Kurtsie/Klainer on GF enabled me to buy a signed copy of TLoS from her.
She has been to several signings in New York and therefore had 2 books to spare. I was allowed to buy one of them.

It's beautiful!!!
The first TLoS book I bought is the European version, without the gold cover and without the map. I was already thinking about buying an American version of the book as well, but refrained because..... you know, logic and all. Embarassed
But now that I was offered a signed book I immediately jumped to the opportunity. (And I can justify it by telling myself that my birthday is only a month away.)

And I must admit that Chris' autograph on the first page made me a bit teary-eyed when I first saw it. Chris Colfer held that book, if only for about 3 seconds, and I don't care that he signed probably about 6.000 books: this one is mine now. Smile

Okay, I know it's stupid and a bit creepy, especially for a 40+ woman, but this is probably as close as I will ever get to Chris, so give me a break, alright? blushh Razz

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Crying-Kurt
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/15/2012, 11:42 am

Glorfindel wrote:Some lovely Kurtsie/Klainer on GF enabled me to buy a signed copy of TLoS from her.
She has been to several signings in New York and therefore had 2 books to spare. I was allowed to buy one of them.

It's beautiful!!!
The first TLoS book I bought is the European version, without the gold cover and without the map. I was already thinking about buying an American version of the book as well, but refrained because..... you know, logic and all. Embarassed
But now that I was offered a signed book I immediately jumped to the opportunity. (And I can justify it by telling myself that my birthday is only a month away.)

And I must admit that Chris' autograph on the first page made me a bit teary-eyed when I first saw it. Chris Colfer held that book, if only for about 3 seconds, and I don't care that he signed probably about 6.000 books: this one is mine now. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 650269930

Okay, I know it's stupid and a bit creepy, especially for a 40+ woman, but this is probably as close as I will ever get to Chris, so give me a break, alright? The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 1277631452 The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 3429310274

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Crying-Kurt

That is so wonderful. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 413578547

I am so happy for you. Enjoy the book it is a wonderful read. I just love this book. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 413578547
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 8/15/2012, 1:40 pm

Just started reading the book. Pretty good so far.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/19/2012, 6:09 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m7ydvoWZUN1r6u0l8o3_1280
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 8/20/2012, 2:44 am

Glorfindel wrote:Some lovely Kurtsie/Klainer on GF enabled me to buy a signed copy of TLoS from her.

I saw that offer by Indiaskye in the KHAT. I didn't know you're the lucky one who got the signed copy off her. Congrats! Smile

Speaking of autographed copies of TLOS, I wonder when Jellyrolls is planning to start that contest she was planning...

Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/30/2012, 7:34 am

My first post from Spain :-)

Chris at The Grove signing, July 26.
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 14 Tumblr_m9jqwuVpk61qc9cnzo3_500
25 more photos are over HERE

Yep, I’ve noticed it’s been a month. But I was travelling (duh) and have only found time to upload the photos now.

Again, all of these are huge and unedited, uploaded for everyone to use. Some of them are blurry and it’s hard to find the guy among all of the heads (I’m tiny, okay), but his face is just too cute. So I’m not apologizing. Besides, the stubble and freckles are more than visible, so I am certainly not complaining at all.

He has an amazingly strong presence and young, happy energy you can practically see pulsating through and around him. While he is incredibly attentive and easy to talk to (or so they say, ‘cause I was a blabbering mess with red face who forgot to even thank the dude), he has the air of subtle power around him. I can see why he’d actually be a good monarch - or president of the world, honestly - it’s not oppressive at all, but grounding. (Lol someone brought him a nicely photoshopped picture of him with the royal family. Chris was delighted.) But he still is a young, very young man and it’s visible in his expressions and intonations. He is confident now and wise beyond his years, but he’s still learning how to deal with what’s been put on his shoulders. It is visible.
Source
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 8/30/2012, 9:23 am

arina wrote:My first post from Spain :-)

I see that not even Spain and all that it has to offer is able to distract you away from forums and news about Chris Smile

Glad to see that you have decent internet connection during your travels. Hope the plane ride wasn't too nerve-wrecking for you.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14