Pictures from a distant land

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Empty Re: Pictures from a distant land

Post  Delight on 11/9/2014, 5:47 am

aa54 wub @Ivana, Those are some very impressive photos of some very lovely scenery. If there's one thing I find lacking from my recent trip to Europe, it's natural scenery. There are only so many man-made structures you can visit before you start craving for something that's not.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/9/2014, 1:52 pm

Having seen Delight and Tanita pictures, inspire me to share the ones I took in Buenos Aires (Argentina) last week when I went to that city. Though are not as awesome as the ones the girls took. Besides I couldn't go to all the places I want as it was raining.

The first day we got (I went with my aunt) was cloudy

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141101_162002

Obelisco,is an important monument as in on walls its written four important dates of argentinian history, such as the foundation of the city.

But luckily two days later was sunny, so I took this other picture
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Photo_Grid_1415244999022

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 250px-Muhte%C5%9Fem_Y%C3%BCzy%C4%B1l_Logo
I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/9/2014, 1:54 pm

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141103_111011
Casa Rosada or Pink House, is the President's house.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141102_130607
El Ateneo, a library that used to be theatre

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141103_120917
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141103_120901

Caminito, a neighbourhood where houses are painted with different colours. Used to be where italian immigrants lived.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141103_124120
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141103_123029

Boca Junior Stadium, or also called 'bombonera' as is said to have the shape of a chocolate box from the air. I don't know if you ever heard of a football player called Maradona? But he used to played for this team.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141104_131756
A tribute to Evita on the building. I guess you have heard of her because of the musical. She was an important first lady who fought for women's and workers rights in the fifties.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/9/2014, 1:55 pm

Coincidentally, during the days we were in the city an exposition was open in San Martin Park, were different 'warriors' made of recyclables material.
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141105_111805
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141105_112147
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141105_113120
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141105_113149

Teatro Colon, the most important theatre of the city, if not of the country
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141101_163743

And Cordillera de los Andes, is a continental mountain range that separate different southamerican countries and only when you're on a plane you are able to see it clearly. But the day I took the picture there were some clouds :(
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141105_192327

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/9/2014, 1:57 pm

And finally I would like to share some food I ate

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 1653277_10204680697192801_7236919668386889805_n
Milanesa, is an italian dish and is generic type of breaded meat fillet ( argentinian people are mostly from italian heritage)

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141105_085013
Medialuna or Crescent,is a croissant served with a sweet glaze or cooked with more sugar.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 2014_11_02_14_13_52

Some beef, or 'bife de chorizo'

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 2014_11_02_14_16_43

Raviolli, is a type of pasta

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 20141101_172409
And pizza

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 11/9/2014, 3:43 pm

that pic of the Andes is breathtaking and i kind of like the clouds and the mountains just sort of emerging from them. it's beautiful.

all the pic posting is inspiring me to post some pics from Belgrade and Serbia as well, given that most of you haven't been. when i have some free time i'll do.it.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sig11

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 212
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/9/2014, 7:14 pm

Okay, I'm hungry now.  miamiam
That pizza pic is making my tummy rumble. Razz

Thanks for the pictures, Romina.
My son has a test on South-America on tuesday, and today he had to learn the map to prepare himself: pointing out and naming all the countries and main cities, including Buenos Aires. And also the Andes. So tomorrow I can show him some of these pictures for a bit of fun during his hard studies. neutre

Glorfindel
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 6-550
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/9/2014, 8:20 pm

Ivana dear, can you shrink your beautiful and mysterious avatar a bit? make it no wider than 150 pixels or it covers up the left side of your post. I am on tablet and cannot make the page any wider so i really have trouble reading your post. :(

pretty please?

and i am so hungry now!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie on 11/9/2014, 8:24 pm

Tanita, yeah Andes is beautiful, sadly when you're in the city you can't appreciate the beauty as the air is contaminated. And currently is not so white, as we're in spring here.

Glorfindel, lol what I miss the most are pizza and pasta :yummy:

And I know the name of the cities by heart! Do your son know the cities well? He has to remember Buenos Aires is located near to Atlantic Ocean and kinda closer to Uruguay, Santiago (Chile) is in the center of the country, between Andes and Pacific Ocean. Montevideo (Uruguya) is also near to Atlantic Ocean, then Caracas (Venezuela) is in the north of the country, near to Caribbean Sea. And that what I remember. Umm I think Brasilia (Brazil) is in the middle of the country, which is huge.

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/10/2014, 5:14 am

^Yup, my son knows them all by now (and so do I, as I had to help him memorize mince ).

All the countries and cities you named, plus Peru/Lima, Bolivia/La Paz, Colombia/Bogota, Equador/Quitos, Suriname/Paramaribo, and Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Manaus and Cerife in Brasil.
Oh, also the Amazone, the Panama-canal and the Netherland Antilles: St. Maarten, Saba, St. Eustatius, Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire.

Hehe, I wrote all that down from the top of my head. I could certainly pass that test, lol, just hoping my son will too. fanny2

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 11/11/2014, 1:34 am

@Romina, I'm envious that you managed to eat nice pasta and pizza in Argentina. I didn't get to eat any decent pizza or pasta in Italy, but I suppose it's my fault for eating in tourist-trapping places. Maybe all those good Italian chefs had migrated to other countries tonguue

brisallie wrote:Coincidentally, during the days we were in the city an exposition was open in San Martin Park, were different 'warriors' made of recyclables material.
Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 IMG_20141105_112147

Very creative!

This spiky warrior reminds me of the Shrike from the Hyperion books.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/11/2014, 1:38 pm

oh yea, these are so cool, but Ramina did you notice that all your shots were taken in the shadows? you should shoot from the other side of the object, so the light can hit it directly and we can see more clearly - next time that is. love your pics otherwise.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 11/11/2014, 3:57 pm

Brisallie, LOVE all your photos.

I've been to Buenos Aires twice in my life and I am so in love with the city.   That last time I even went to the Eva Peron museum and it was historically interesting to see the exhibits there.

I so envy your trip!!!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/12/2014, 2:33 pm

thank you Ivana! now i can see. Smile bisou
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 11/12/2014, 4:11 pm

Dino Park in Kalemegdan (it's a park/former fortress in Belgrade at the confluence of Danube and Sava River). I was there yesterday. The dino park is an exhibit of life-sized dinosaurs from the mesozoic era.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sdc14610

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sdc14611

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sdc14612

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sdc14613

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sdc14710

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Sig11

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 212
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/12/2014, 5:26 pm

ooo, this is so cool, except why all dinos have the same skin color? Smile i wish they are mechanical and can actually move.

my mom doesn't like dinos and never understands why everybody else (especially younger generations) love dinos.

i love dinos. will have one guarding my house if i can find one.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 11/12/2014, 6:47 pm

^That would sure keep the burglars out of your house, lol. Razz

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 11/12/2014, 7:12 pm

^ not just the burglars, but the friendly neighborhood mail men too. Smile well, as long as we have emails, all is well.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 12/20/2014, 8:46 am

With the third Hobbit movie coming out after Christmas Day here in Australia, I'm prompted to share a few photos that I've recently taken of Alexander's farm near Matamata in New Zealand:

Bag’s End

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_ngjscqLpbg1ra2zw3o4_1280

A random hobbit home

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_ngjscqLpbg1ra2zw3o1_1280

The Shire (with the Party Tree in the middle of it)

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_ngjscqLpbg1ra2zw3o3_1280
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 12/20/2014, 1:39 pm

Delight, did you just go to New Zealand? are these hobit holes human sized or hobbit/mini sized? can you go inside? do you have to slouch if it's mini sized? i hope there are actual resorts made of these hobbit holes (human sized that is, just look like hobbit holes). i would like to retire there. beautiful!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 12/20/2014, 8:47 pm

Yes, I went to New Zealand just last month; North Island to be precise. There’s this farm a short distance out of Rotorua that is the movie set for Hobbiton. It cost NZ$75 to go on this tour in the Shire (one free drink from the Green Dragon tavern included), but it’s worth it. It’s just such a unique place to visit.

The Hobbit holes are small human sized. You sort of have to crouch down a bit at the waist to get through the door. I guess in the movie, you can use Gandalf as a measuring stick to get a sense of how big things are in relation to him. Most of the Hobbit holes only have the facades done up. The doors can’t open fully inwards and you can only take one or two steps in. The one Hobbit hole they allowed us to peek inside was used to store umbrellas. I think Bag’s End (Bilbo’s home) was the only one that was done up in any detail inside, in order to film the scenes with Bilbo peering out the windows at Gandalf. Most of the interior scenes are, however, filmed in the studio.

New Zealand is a lovely country with plenty of picturesque scenery. Very green pastures. It will be nice to retire in if you like the quiet of the countryside, and if you like having a hobby farm of your own neutre
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  lilypaperclips on 12/21/2014, 3:20 am

Delight wrote:Yes, I went to New Zealand just last month; North Island to be precise. There’s this farm a short distance out of Rotorua that is the movie set for Hobbiton. It cost NZ$75 to go on this tour in the Shire (one free drink from the Green Dragon tavern included), but it’s worth it. It’s just such a unique place to visit.

The Hobbit holes are small human sized. You sort of have to crouch down a bit at the waist to get through the door. I guess in the movie, you can use Gandalf as a measuring stick to get a sense of how big things are in relation to him. Most of the Hobbit holes only have the facades done up. The doors can’t open fully inwards and you can only take one or two steps in. The one Hobbit hole they allowed us to peek inside was used to store umbrellas. I think Bag’s End (Bilbo’s home) was the only one that was done up in any detail inside, in order to film the scenes with Bilbo peering out the windows at Gandalf. Most of the interior scenes are, however, filmed in the studio.

New Zealand is a lovely country with plenty of picturesque scenery. Very green pastures. It will be nice to retire in if you like the quiet of the countryside, and if you like having a hobby farm of your own neutre

[img]Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 2qvqh4w[/img]

I'd love go one day. Maybe on a LOTR themed bucket-list trip, which may seem a little nerdy to some, but for me, a very good dream come through.

[img]Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Io3j92[/img]
lilypaperclips
lilypaperclips
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight on 12/22/2014, 6:55 am

lilypaperclips wrote:
I'd love go one day. Maybe on a LOTR themed bucket-list trip, which may seem a little nerdy to some, but for me, a very good dream come through.

As bucket lists go, visiting the various filming locations for the LOTR trilogy is pretty cool in my opinion. But then, I'm biased tonguue

I was at North Island, so I could've visited Mount Doom. However, it would seem that a day long's walk through some national park is required, coupled with another 2 to 4 hour climb up the mountain. Such a feat is definitely meant for someone much more physically fit than me.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  lilypaperclips on 12/22/2014, 7:18 pm

Delight wrote:

I was at North Island, so I could've visited Mount Doom. However, it would seem that a day long's walk through some national park is required, coupled with another 2 to 4 hour climb up the mountain. Such a feat is definitely meant for someone much more physically fit than me. [/quote]

Oh I think we would be in the same boat there.

I would be most interested Hobbiton and BagsEnd in particular. Thrilled me to no end how much care was taken to build that. I loved building and designing sets as a teenager but to build a living set, so amazing. I'll put that on my bucket list too. Razz

[img]Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Io3j92[/img]
lilypaperclips
lilypaperclips
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Empty Japan!

Post  Delight on 5/18/2015, 12:29 pm

So the travel bug bit me again and I've basically disappeared from the internet for a while. Recently I've had the fortune to visit a country famous for its raw seafood cuisine, anime and high tech toilets-- Yes, Japan. For those who are curious, I've attached a few photos for sharing.

1) Cherry Blossom trees

...in Sapporo

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o1_540

... and in Hakodate

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o3_540

The coloured sheets were mats laid out by different companies that had planned an afternoon outdoor BBQ session for their members to enjoy, celebrating the start of the Golden Week.

2)Shibazakura flower fields (yup those purple things in the foreground), with Mt Fuji as a backdrop. This photo was taken in Hakone.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o2_540

3) A Wisteria tree in some garden that I've forgotten the name of.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o4_540

4) And lastly, I wish to introduce a delicious ramen restaurant in Aomori

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o5_540

... that serves a local specialty ramen made with curry milk miso soup.

Pictures from a distant land - Page 4 Tumblr_nojuuwdDCr1ra2zw3o6_540

(and yes, that's a slab of butter sitting on top of the pile of vegies and meat).
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next