The Theatre Thread!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty The Theatre Thread!

Post  Jellyrolls on 6/24/2012, 9:05 pm

I know we have a lot of theatre buffs on the board, and I think it's time to start a threatre thread.

So what are your favorite shows? What shows don't you like?

My favorites are:

1. Rent--I've seen Rent over 50 times. I saw it for the first time in 1996 with the Original Broadway cast (though Taye Diggs was out that day). It really hit a chord with me. I can see bits and pieces of myself and my friends in the characters. It really made me look at the world differently.

2. Les Miserables--This is one of the best shows visually I've ever seen. The barricade is amazing. The music in this show is fantastic, and I like the storyline. I hope they do a good job on the movie.

3. Sunset Blvd.--Though I had seen a few shows in Boston, this was my first show that I ever saw on Broadway in New York. Elaine Page was Norma Desmond when I saw it. I remember being in awe by the sets.

4. Wicked--I saw this one a few months after it opened on Broadway with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. We lucked out and won the lottery tickets, so we had second row seats. I hadn't heard the music before I went, and wasn't familiar with the book, but once I figured out the concept of it, I was just awed. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of watching "Defying Gravity" the first time.

5. Ragtime--I saw this one on Broadway with Brian Stokes Mitchell and Audra McDonald. This was another one that I wasn't familiar with before I saw it. The opening number on this one is fantastic.

My least favorite are:

1. Bye Bye Birdie--Though I loved seeing John Stamos in this, I didn't like it. I didn't love the music, or the storyline.

2. Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark--I saw this one before they changed the show. Though the flying stunts were amazing, the show itself was awful. The lyrics seemed very forced, and the song that I believe that was cut where they had spiders dancing in high heels was horrible.

3. Gypsy--Though Patti LuPone was fantastic in it, I didn't really like the show very much. I just didn't love the music.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator
The Theatre Thread! S2e18-69405a-31c211d
Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

The Theatre Thread! Tumblr_mjd79iNp3m1qf87mzo1_250
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Re: The Theatre Thread!

Post  fantastica on 6/24/2012, 9:43 pm

does theater thread includes opera?

I am a peking opera fan. and if you have ever seen any peking opera (especially the role of young male which is always sung in falsetto), you will understand why I love Chris' singing... phr34r

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Theatre Thread! Tumblr_mf8is0r6zI1qj0196o1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 6/24/2012, 9:46 pm

as a visual person I am more intriqued by the set design than actual performance. so my favorite shows are always very lavish in set designs. that includes Beauty and The Beast (still prefer the drawn sets on teh cartoon - I am a huge sucker for anything castle) and phantom of hte opera. wub

The Theatre Thread! Tumblr_mf8is0r6zI1qj0196o1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 6/25/2012, 9:49 am

I'm not an opera fan--I like to be able to understand what I'm listening too Wink

I'm actually going to New York in a few weeks for one of my theatre weekends. I'm hoping to see five shows in three days! We already have tickets to see "Once" and "Peter and the Starchasers." The other shows are up in the air, but I'm considering "Evita" and "Newsies." And I'm going to try the lottery tickets for "The Book of Mormon." I already lost that a few times. Maybe I'll have luck this time. I'll only get one shot at it.

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator
The Theatre Thread! S2e18-69405a-31c211d
Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

The Theatre Thread! Tumblr_mjd79iNp3m1qf87mzo1_250
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 1/18/2013, 11:44 pm

I'm in love with RENT. Before RENT, I really didn't like musicals. It's beautiful, tragic, hopeful....just perfect. Jonathan Larson is an inspiration. I also love Les Miserables, Wicked and Gypsy. Spring Awakening is wonderful too. I also saw To Kill a Mockingbird onstage about two years ago and just loved it. Next to Normal sounds amazing (because I love abnormal psychology), but I haven't seen it yet...

Also, I know that one of my favorite movies of all time..."American Beauty", was originally intended to be a play. I wonder if they will ever adapt it for the stage or not. I'd love to see how it would work as a play.

Another show I'd recommend for lovers of RENT is Jonathan Larson's autobiographical musical "Tick,tick...boom!" The show is very underrated and the music is lovely.

Last edited by MoviesAreLife on 1/19/2013, 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I keep forgetting to add little things here and there.)

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 8/5/2013, 12:51 pm

I didn't know where to put this, but it's just beautiful. Living, breathing live performance art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQBUccxBr4

Singing acts, music acts, dancing acts are all a dime a dozen, but this is truly creative and original.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Ghost

Post  Kurt addict on 2/12/2014, 11:19 am

I went to see Ghost the musical last night, was a good show special effects were clever, as was the performance well planned and th actors were good, the singing was good although none of the songs were exceptional, I would not be buying the sound track! But overall it was a good production and worth watching if it comes to a theatre near you.

The Theatre Thread! Image11
[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 2/12/2014, 11:33 am

^Are they making musicals of every popular movie now?  Shocked 

Tsk. 

Still, glad you enjoyed it, Anna.  neutre

Glorfindel
The Theatre Thread! 6-550
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 2/12/2014, 12:42 pm

Aren't they making a stage musical out of Glee?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 2/12/2014, 1:06 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Aren't they making a stage musical out of Glee?
The Theatre Thread! ExhibitA-Carson_zps1393ee25    Rolling Eyes

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 2/12/2014, 1:14 pm

I think it would be interesting, actually. I wonder if it will feature the original cast members?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 2/12/2014, 1:48 pm

^Maybe some of the neglected and not-so-popular-outside-Glee ones, if Glee is over by the time the production is on Broadway.

I can see Jenna, Darren, Kevin, Chord, Mark, Harry and the noobs agreeing to do it. Maybe Naya and/or Heather, and if he won't get a better offer elsewhere also Matt.
Lea might do it to stay on Ryan's good side till she can be his Fanny Brice.

But I really doubt Chris would do it, unless perhaps the story of the musical would cover only season 1.  fanny2

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 2/12/2014, 2:17 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:I didn't know where to put this, but it's just beautiful. Living, breathing live performance art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQBUccxBr4

Singing acts, music acts, dancing acts are all a dime a dozen, but this is truly creative and original.

how come i didn't see this earlier? really wonderful!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 2/12/2014, 2:46 pm

I saw on Broadway last year both "Newsies" and "Big Fish", as well as Rahel Weiz and Daniel Craig in "Betrayal". The off Broadway show "Murder of One" was alot of fun.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 2/13/2014, 12:35 pm

fantastica wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:I didn't know where to put this, but it's just beautiful. Living, breathing live performance art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQBUccxBr4

how come i didn't see this earlier? really wonderful!

Makes me cry every single time.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 2/13/2014, 12:37 pm

Glorfindel wrote:^Maybe some of the neglected and not-so-popular-outside-Glee ones, if Glee is over by the time the production is on Broadway.

I can see Jenna, Darren, Kevin, Chord, Mark, Harry and the noobs agreeing to do it. Maybe Naya and/or Heather, and if he won't get a better offer elsewhere also Matt.
Lea might do it to stay on Ryan's good side till she can be his Fanny Brice.

But I really doubt Chris would do it, unless perhaps the story of the musical would cover only season 1.  fanny2

While the participation of the original cast members sounds lovely, I doubt if any of them will do this production at all. They will probably hire a bunch of unknowns to try and capture the spirit of these iconic characters....sort of like the newbies of season four and five. Copies of the originals. I doubt that any of the original cast members will want to be associated with Glee and have to cling to it forever.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 2/13/2014, 12:48 pm

^Yeah, I think the only ones willing to be in a stage adaptation of Glee right of the bat would be the noobs.
But if some of the original cast will find it hard to get something else after Glee I can see a few of them returning to the nest as well. They may want their freedom now (although Jenna clearly doesn't) but they still need to work, plus being semi-famous because of a tv-show can be addictive.

But with the current ratings of Glee I doubt they will even get a musical production off of the ground.

That youtube video of the dancers behind the curtain is beautiful. How creative.  neutre

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife on 2/13/2014, 1:02 pm

Glorfindel wrote:^Yeah, I think the only ones willing to be in a stage adaptation of Glee right of the bat would be the noobs.
But if some of the original cast will find it hard to get something else after Glee I can see a few of them returning to the nest as well. They may want their freedom now (although Jenna clearly doesn't) but they still need to work, plus being semi-famous because of a tv-show can be addictive.

But with the current ratings of Glee I doubt they will even get a musical production off of the ground.

That youtube video of the dancers behind the curtain is beautiful. How creative.  neutre

Seriously, poor Jenna. I feel awful for her.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Seven brides for seven brothers

Post  Kurt addict on 2/25/2014, 7:21 am

At the theatre again last night, went to see an oldie seven brides for seven brothers and I really enjoyed it, there was good music and high energy dancing (and some very fit brothers you know what I'm saying) I didn't expect to enjoy it so much but I came out of the theater feeling really good, great show, Sam Atter was the lead if any of you watch Dancing on ice U.K. version

[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 on 3/26/2014, 7:24 pm

Been listening to some of the songs from Kinky Boots. I love the film but didn't really know anything about the musical until someone recced Not My Father's Son to me. Now, I have it on repeat and am excited to hear that it is rumoured to be coming to the West End this or next year.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Singing in the rain

Post  Kurt addict on 4/22/2014, 7:21 pm

Just been to see singing in the rain at the theatre, it was really run lots of high energy dancing and good vocals the end was best as they all did that dance that glee did with the umbrellas and lots of rain and water lol people in the front seats got very wet!

[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Wicked

Post  Kurt addict on 9/20/2014, 7:10 pm

Just been to see Wicked at the Liverpool empire theatre and it was just as good as at Gerswin really enjoyed it great night was had by All!

[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Matthew Morrison

Post  Kurt addict on 4/15/2015, 6:16 am

Just seen a short preview of finding never land it looks amazing, hope to see it when I'm in New York in August, I didn't know Gary Barlow wrote the music! It opens tonight and there is going to be some talk about it on this morning programme with Lorraine if you can get uk programmes.

Having a musical week, just watched the rocky horror picture show, little house of horrors and Sweeney Todd !

Sweeney Todd was an eye opener, I knew the story but the musical was horrific so much blood and gore, I couldn't help but think that Chris's parents would'ent let him watch nip and tuck, but he new Sweeney Todd so well he adapted it as his end of year show.

It would appear that murder, blood and gore is okay, but sex is just to horrific?

[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 on 6/8/2015, 7:32 pm

Anyone else got this performance on replay from the Tonys? Amazing, nuanced performance by 11 year old Sydney Lucas. Had me bawling!
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

The Theatre Thread! Empty Broadway

Post  Kurt addict on 7/5/2015, 2:58 pm

Just booked tickets for finding never land and wicked for August when I'm on holiday in New York I'm so excited, let the countdown begin.

[center]
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next