SBL First Reviews and Reactions

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SBL First Reviews and Reactions

Post  Buenos on 4/30/2012, 1:00 pm

red texta wrote:Variety doesn't like it very much and picks out the screenplay as its weakness: Struck by Lightning

It's a real shame that, while most reviews are very positive, the two most negative come from two big industry publications.
What was the other negative review besides Variety?

Variety does worry me a bit because they seem to take a more commercial POV of a film's merit than most movie critics, who can go off on aesthetic tangents. However a seal of approval from Variety is far from essential for the the film to have success. It doesn't hurt but alot of films have survived pans from Variety.

I will say few films are universally praised and sometimes a negative review can help someone understand what they do like about a film and why. I don't mind disagreement or even differences of opinion as long I can understand where the other argument/premised is based upon. VAriety said that there was not enough originality in the premise of the film, but I know I'll make up my own mind once I see the film.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 4/30/2012, 1:11 pm

Countless times I have read a negative review of something, and saw it anyway, and enjoyed it immensely. Or read tons of positive reviews and go "meh". In the end every review is subjective, and influenced by their preferences or dislikes. Perhaps they feel they need to "bring the upstart down a bit", perhaps this is their honest opinion. I prefer to make my own opinions. I also prefer to support Chris in any of his endeavors, books I can buy, and movies I can go to the theater to see. Broadway, which I have no doubt he will do after the show, will be more problematic, but if I can fiscally come up with a coast to coast air ticket, hotel and play ticket, believe me, I will. While I do not require Chris to be perfect, I think he is a wonderful example of a hard-working, talented young man, who despite a lot of negative happenings in his younger years, still managed to be loving and adorable. That deserves to be supported.

His movie doesn't need to be perfect, the reviews don't need to be perfect, the only thing Chris needs is for the audience he creates for to enjoy his creation. That, I can do, I am sure. I am also thinking that after we see the movie, perhaps we can set up one of those card signing things, to give him an idea of how his audience feels about the movie. I think he will value that much more than a review in a paper, reading comments from fans.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/30/2012, 1:21 pm

As someone who spent four years reviewing movies for my college newspaper, I can tell you that reviewers get a bit jaded. They see so many movies, including a lot of crap. You start looking at movies differently, and it takes a lot more to impress you when you are looking at them through a reviewers eyes. By my senior year in college, I couldn't stomach movies, and I think it took me three years to step foot inside a movie theatre again after that.

Bottom line is, don't put much heed into the negative (or even the positive) reviews. We all have different tastes in movies. I can tell you that most Chris fans are going to love it because Chris is fantastic in it. It's not an earth shattering script that's going to win awards, but it's witty and well written, and has a few endearing characters. It doesn't use cheap gross potty humor gimmicks to get laughs. It's entertaining and enjoyable. You won't leave there thinking you wasted your time or money.

ETA: I think the big test for SBL is going to see how the general public responds to the film. They have to be careful how they market it. It will be interesting to see if they can pull in a non-Glee audience to see it. I saw it with a group comprised mostly of Chris/Glee fans. I'll be curious to see it again when it's released to see the appeal to people who don't know who Chris is.

Last edited by Jellyrolls on 4/30/2012, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jellyrolls--Chris Colfer Forum Administrator

Kurt: "I can't help but pull focus. Sorry." So Kurt. So Chris. So Perfect
RIB--The Greenest Showrunners in Hollywood--Recycling Storylines Since 2011!
For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.
Blarrenstans are the reason we can't have nice things.
What's shakin', bacon? Kadam forever!
@huggingunicorns @ColferFanForum I think you two are the heads of the
Adam Crawford appreciation society! Ha!--Tweeted by @olliekjones on 4/2/13

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 4/30/2012, 1:23 pm

For selfish reasons I want his film to get good reviews from most publications, because I want him to get more artistic credibility and a platform for other projects. What mollifies me more than somewhat is that this a 21 year old who had his first screenplay made into a film, with a mix of big name/hot actors and premiered at Tribeca and will most likely get a domestic and foreign distribution.

That in itself is so extraordinary and rare that SBL is for all intents and purposes a resounding success regardless of what happens from here on end.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar on 4/30/2012, 2:06 pm

I agree with what you all are saying about critics. I've learnt not to take them too seriously over the years. I've also seen a lot of movies that were critically acclaimed and wondered why am I sitting and watching this?, and seen critically panned films which I've enjoyed. Bottom line is every individual person is different, thinks differently, and like different things, and everyone has their point of view.

I was just worried because I don't want anything to affect the prospects of the film. That's the problem when you become a hardcore fan of somebody, you worry about every little thing because you want the best for them.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/30/2012, 2:27 pm

Obviously, I want the fill to succeed as much as anyone on this board. It doesn't need to make a $100 million dollars to be a success. I really want to see how they market it, and how well it is received outside the Glee fandom.

I've said this about Darren, and it applies to Chris as well. His Glee fans can only carry him so far.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For one minute of his life, I had Chris Colfer's attention. It was a great minute.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 4/30/2012, 2:33 pm

Buenos wrote:For selfish reasons I want his film to get good reviews from most publications, because I want him to get more artistic credibility and a platform for other projects. What mollifies me more than somewhat is that this a 21 year old who had his first screenplay made into a film, with a mix of big name/hot actors and premiered at Tribeca and will most likely get a domestic and foreign distribution.

That in itself is so extraordinary and rare that SBL is for all intents and purposes a resounding success regardless of what happens from here on end.
Actually, it's not selfish at all Smile

Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 4/30/2012, 2:34 pm

Jellyrolls wrote: and it applies to Chris as well. His Glee fans can only carry him so far.

The paradox is that Glee got him into the spotlight, made him a name. So while Glee is frustrating, I can't get on the bandwagon that he needs to leave the show to get on a better track. Show Biz is such a crapshoot as it is..and it littered with thousands of talented actors/performers who couldn't make a second act. I hope/wish Chris is one of the exceptions but until then, I just hope his outside projects likes SBL help him grow/develop as an artist and give him a wider platform.

I want Glee to do well for the next few years and for Kurt as Chris to be a leading character/star. Side projects like SBL will be so cool and great for Chris.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious on 4/30/2012, 2:49 pm

I agree with you Buenos, I don't want Chris to leave Glee, because I at least get to see him 22 times a year. Some episodes more than others, but far more than the occasional movie or other project. Plus it gives him security to try other dreams. I'm sure he has a whole book of ideas he wants to get out to people, whether it be book or movies.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls on 4/30/2012, 3:17 pm

Buenos wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote: and it applies to Chris as well. His Glee fans can only carry him so far.

The paradox is that Glee got him into the spotlight, made him a name. So while Glee is frustrating, I can't get on the bandwagon that he needs to leave the show to get on a better track. Show Biz is such a crapshoot as it is..and it littered with thousands of talented actors/performers who couldn't make a second act. I hope/wish Chris is one of the exceptions but until then, I just hope his outside projects likes SBL help him grow/develop as an artist and give him a wider platform.

I want Glee to do well for the next few years and for Kurt as Chris to be a leading character/star. Side projects like SBL will be so cool and great for Chris.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Chris should stay on Glee as long as he can to keep his face on TV, give him opportunities to go on talk shows, get more exposure (and the nice pay check). I also hope that Chris is reviewing and considering movies and opportunities from other sources other than just writing them himself. I think some supporting roles in films with some big names in them would be good exposure for him.

Let's face it, Chris isn't exactly a household name. Even with the Golden Globe and the Emmy nominations, he is still only really only well known within the Glee fandom (and I'm sure a portion of the glee fandom only knows him as Kurt or the gay kid on glee), and in Hollywood.

Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar on 4/30/2012, 3:23 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:
Buenos wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Chris should stay on Glee as long as he can to keep his face on TV, give him opportunities to go on talk shows, get more exposure (and the nice pay check). I also hope that Chris is reviewing and considering movies and opportunities from other sources other than just writing them himself. I think some supporting roles in films with some big names in them would be good exposure for him.

Let's face it, Chris isn't exactly a household name. Even with the Golden Globe and the Emmy nominations, he is still only really only well known within the Glee fandom (and I'm sure a portion of the glee fandom only knows him as Kurt or the gay kid on glee), and in Hollywood.

I agree with you Jelly. it's great that he's writing and producing films for himself, but I hope he doesn't only limit himself to that. I hope he does roles in big films (with a good script and role obviously) to gain exposure to as many people outside the Glee fandom as he can. He has to establish himself first before ONLY doing smaller niche films.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Struck by Lightning on 4/30/2012, 5:31 pm

So, I saw Struck by Lightning yesterday, and traveled about 9 hours to New York and back. It was exhausting, needless to say, but definitely worth it!

There were lots of people with me in line (a few girls with pink sunglasses and sort of questionable haircuts, but luckily I was far enough away from them that I didn’t hear them talking). There were also lots of people in the rush tickets line (the theater was very full during the movie) and everyone seemed pretty excited about it. And I got Struck by Lightning sunglasses, which I think I’ll be wearing all the time now (subliminal messages). Before we saw the movie someone introduced it briefly, saying that it was the last showing of a festival movie in that theater (it was the last day of the festival yesterday). They also had a bunch of ads about the festival, one saying to tweet your favorite film and #TFF, though IDK how much that does now the festival is over.

I’m posting a review and some general thoughts about the film itself with some minor spoilers on the other thread.

And re: the soundtrack, one of the songs from the film, Sound of An Amp, is also up on iTunes.

Let's support Chris by voting him Best Actor in a Comedy and Male Fashion Icon at this year's Teen Choice Awards!

You don't need to be a teen to register as one!

Vote again for him every day!
Struck by Lightning
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick on 4/30/2012, 5:49 pm

Comingsoon.net: 2012 Tribeca Film Festival Wrap-Up #1 [brief reviews from best to worst]

The Best

Struck By Lighting: Even being killed by a bolt of lightning won't keep budding young journalist Carson Phillips (Glee's Chris Colfer) quiet. Trapped by his small-minded town, this outspoken high school senior recounts the last few weeks of his life through a series of upbeat flashbacks in this playful and energetic comedy written by Colfer himself. I really enjoyed this film, the first written by star Colfer. It's funny and has a really strong screenplay and features excellent performances from the entire cast, that includes Christina Hendricks, Polly Bergen, Sarah Hyland, Rebel Wilson and Allison Janney, whose performance as Sheryl Phillips is bound to generate her buzz around award season.

Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/30/2012, 6:02 pm

I don't expect any award for this movie itself, but if Alison can get an Oscar or GG nom from this movie I would jump off the window in joy! her part is very well written and very well acted. I don't relate to Carson per se but I do relate to his mom and their mom-son dynamic. I hope she will get a nod from this role. but even if she doesn't, the buzz will be great for her career (not that she doesn't already have a very strong reputation in the industry).
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Struck by Lightning on 4/30/2012, 6:14 pm

^I would love to see a lead actor in a comedy GG nomination for Chris and a supporting one somewhere for Allison. Who knows what will happen but I think that would be deserved.
Struck by Lightning
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 4/30/2012, 7:04 pm

do they seperate comedy and drama in flim? I know oscar doesn't.
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Struck by Lightning on 4/30/2012, 7:48 pm

^The Globes do separate them for leads and movies, not for supporting actors (much like the GG TV categories). Sometimes they just use that for not-actually-good performances in blockbusters (see The Tourist especially) and not for really great comedic ones, but I have some hope.

Either way though it'll be a great first movie for Chris; I need to stop thinking about this stuff.
Struck by Lightning
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top