3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  brisallie on 5/2/2012, 9:56 am

All this riot related to those golden pants and the performance itself is makes me bursting out laughing lol and btw Chris said this about the golden pants ptdr

“I had two fittings and had no idea it would be a battle of the bulge.” — Chris Colfer on Kurt’s tight gold pants in his NYADA audition.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I currently obsessed with this
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired on 5/2/2012, 10:02 am

brisallie wrote:All this riot related to those golden pants and the performance itself is makes me bursting out laughing lol and btw Chris said this about the golden pants

“I had two fittings and had no idea it would be a battle of the bulge.” — Chris Colfer on Kurt’s tight gold pants in his NYADA audition.

I saw that as soon as I was able to get onto tumblr. Then I saw the endless endless pics and then I thought o-kay.

I'm sure Chris would either blush or laugh. But he sure knows tumblr really really well that was wh he probably made that comment, though it was partly as a joke. He has impeccable timing, so does the people on tumblr.

I thought I would add so does William Keck who tweeted about it.
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina on 5/2/2012, 10:30 am

I think Kurt / Chris looked especially good during his audition. I am not big fan of his "high" hairstyle lately so I really loved his hair during his performance.

I cannot stop watching that scene, everything about it is perfect!
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/2/2012, 11:44 am

OK, Kurt was not better than Michael Crawford.

Better than Hugh Jackman!
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Esme on 5/2/2012, 11:45 am

brisallie wrote:
No way!!! I read something that tumblr died last night but I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAPPENED Razz Though he usually provokes riots in tumblr but never crash tumblr!!!

I've seen so many glowing reviews today for Chris's...under-carriage.

What are the chances of it getting a nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Guest Star?

Perhaps a "Golden Globe" would be more appropriate than an Emmy?

Esme
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/2/2012, 11:47 am

The whole Phantom number was hilarious, with Kurt's painfully analyzed over rehearsed moves and Tina's zombie like Christine...

And at the risk of being snarky, his whole "bad" MOTN performance vocally was stronger than most of the West Side Story numbers (cough...cough...Naya,Darren, Harry, ....cough cough...cough...)
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick on 5/2/2012, 1:37 pm

I capped Kurt's reaction to Carmen delivering her verdict just to swoon over how much emotion, and how many emotions, Chris can pack into just a handful of frames, a couple of seconds on screen.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick on 5/2/2012, 1:39 pm

I love how thrilled for him Kurt’s ‘Swans’ are after Carmen’s praise and that thank you kiss he blows them, so I capped the moment. Having Tina, Brittany and Mercedes back him up takes me back to the Muppet Babies werking their MC Hammer in the library. A happy place for me, then and now. Their delighted smiles are so lovely.

Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors on 5/2/2012, 2:04 pm

The performance of MOTN was hilarious. The moves should be seductive, I'm not sure what Kurt was going for, but seductive it was not ptdr But, he is a teenager, I like that it was relatively realistic and extremely camp (exactly like Kurt would do it). Now, maybe after 4 years in training, his Phantom performance could be up to par of Michel Crawford. Also Tina - was dead bored and many like to compere her performance to Sara Brightman (had no idea she was THAT wooden on stage).

Chris's vocal of MOTN was a another thing completely. Given his age, voice type and training he sounded phenomenal - and this isn't a Kurtsie talking, but someone who has heard dozens of different phantoms. Especially, his last note was so clear and steady, I was blown away. He surpassed all my expectations to be honest. If he wanted it, practiced hard and got over his little fear of singing live, he could be a great Phantom one day, in 15 years or so.

tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 on 5/2/2012, 2:11 pm

Esme wrote:I've seen so many glowing reviews today for Chris's...under-carriage.

What are the chances of it getting a nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Guest Star?

Perhaps a "Golden Globe" would be more appropriate than an Emmy?

Laughing Laughing Laughing There's no guest star category at the "Golden Globes", but his hair should try to submit itself for an Emmy's guest spot next year, it has been consistently good Smile

Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenEyes on 5/2/2012, 2:20 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the new forum! I love that you all separated yourselves from Glee Forum. That place is toxic.

Anyway, here are my thoughts on last night's episode:

Things I LOVED
- Chris Colfer's entire performance from his first scene to his last scene was a pleasure to watch. Comedic moments, vulnerable moments, an empowering moment with a powerhouse musical number, and a heartwarming moment at the end with Rachel. This could be his Emmy submission if he is nominated this year. Here's hoping!

- "Not The Boy Next Door" was a great combination of Kurt's personality, vocal prowess, and adorable showmanship. It was so perfect to have Kurt literally tear away his Phantom mask and tux to be completely himself. I also loved that Mercedes, Tina and Brittney were backing him up and wearing their S1 Regionals dresses! This is my favorite musical number of the episode, and one I will be downloading. A+

*Oh, and Chris managed to do a fabulous hitch kick without falling into the orchestra pit! (Remember when he talked about that on Letterman last year?)

- Lea Michele's entire performance from her first scene to her last scene was a pleasure to watch, too! Like Chris, Lea fully embodies Rachel, so I was able to truly feel for her in this episode. I knew it was coming, but the way Lea handled choking on "Don't Rain On My Parade" was heartbreaking. This could be her Emmy submission if she's nominated this year.

- "Cry" is not a song I particularly care for. It's a typical ballad for Rachel and a bit bland, but Lea sold the performance for me. I still don't plan to download the song, but it was much more pleasing to see it on screen than to just listen to it on First Listen Friday. A-

- "Shake It Out," however, is more enjoyable for me to listen to, not watch. The context ion the episode for this particular song was okay, but the storyline could have been handled better. Also, Jenna's voice sounded the best on this song, so I'd have loved to hear more of her, instead of Mercedes and Naya. Still, it's a standout track and really well done vocally. I will be downloading this one. A-

- Whoopi Goldberg: a guest star done right. She fully embodied her character, who I loved, and did a great job without the writers having her take spotlight from the regular characters. I'd love to see more of her if Kurt and Rachel really do end up at NYADA in season 4. I also liked that moment when she walked into the auditorium with Mr. Schuester following meekly and cautiously behind, gingerly carrying her satchel. The woman has presence!

- The "Music Of The Night" scene was funny. I loved Tina as a blank-eyed Sarah Brightman and Artie fanning the fog on stage. I even liked Blaine in his scenes with Kurt, which is saying a lot. Also, Chris did a great job on the vocal performance of this song.

Things I HATED
- The Domestic Violence storyline. It was blatant Emmy fodder for Dot Marie Jones, and - although she did a great job acting - it came out of left field. There was no buildup to it. Maybe the point was for the situation to be sudden and out-of-left field to the characters, but little clues in previous episodes for the audience would have supported the storyline better. I also didn't appreciate that the writers performed some obvious character assassination on the girls to drive the storyline. It was unrealistic for them to joke around about it anyway... I don't think I've ever heard any young women talk about Chris Brown hitting Rihanna and making a joke of it. I'm sure there are some girls who make light of domestic violence because they're naive, stupid, brainwashed by popular culture or whetever, but the Glee girls are not those types of girls. The whole thing just didn't ring true to me.

- "Cell Block Tango" was so underwhelming, that I'm surprised at the of praise and downloads it's receiving from fans. It was a bland, passionless version that doesn't hold a candle to the powerhouse original, and if they weren't going to do it well, they shouldn't have done it at all. Cutting the song down definitely didn't help. The only thing I liked was that Tina got a solo moment that was not cut out of the episode or interrupted. D

- I'm fairly neutral on Puck's storyline. I thought it was nice that Puck (and Mark Salling) got some attention and got to sing, and it was pretty well done. Even his Dad showing up was a warranted moment, since his lack of a father is a big part of his characterization and has been mentioned since season one. The storyline had it's problems, though. I thought all of the bro scenes would have made more sense without Blaine, Rory and Joe. They have only known Puck for a very small amount of time and were unnecessary to the scenes. Puck hasn't been on a journey with them the way he has been with Finn, Mike, Artie, Sam, and Kurt.

*This discrepancy was most apparent to me when Puck said that his bros made him a man (Overused sentiment, Glee. Way overused), and then cracked, "Even you, Blaine." That was a line Puck so obviously should have said to Kurt. He's gone from bullying Kurt to befriending him. That's the kind of depth that makes Puck redeemable and would have have really served his storyline well in this episode.

- Blaine (or Blarren, as I prefer to call him) boxing for absolutely no fucking reason. Glee, stop trying to make AlphaGayMacho!Blaine happen! It's not going to happen! And it's annoying.

- The cut in "Not The Boy Next Door." This was a terrible cut, and it was completely unnecessary. The song was only 2:23 minutes! They could have easily cut a bit from "Rain In Spain" and "School's Out," since those songs seemed long and were a bit frivolous in this episode.

Overall, I didn't think the episode was too bad. I liked that the writers gave generally balanced screen time to the majority of the characters. The writers are capable of creating a balanced episode... if only they could do it with storylines that actually all work well together and make sense for all of the characters involved.

GreenEyes
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar on 5/2/2012, 2:26 pm

Has anyone seen the ratings for last night's episode?. I never thought the ratings would sink THIS far. It was at a series low. Damn

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/02/tv-ratings-tuesdaythe-voice-down-but-wins-night-ncislos-angeles-rises-cougar-town-last-man-standing-hit-series-lows/131942/

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/2/2012, 2:27 pm

Wasn't "New Girl" even worse??
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  happydays on 5/2/2012, 2:27 pm

It's becoming a tradition for me to love all things Kurt-related and not care about everything else. His audition was golden in every single way. The song became even better with the performance. As you pointed out, he showed all of his best moves, best notes and sexiest faces. I can't stop watching it. And when I do, I'm not only happy for Kurt, I'm happy for Chris too. That he gets to do this. Gets to show his uniqueness. It's as much his as it is Kurt's.
Btw, did anyone notice that the dresses the 3 girls wore were from last year's competition? I thought they were always leasing them out. Wow, these kids must be very rich if they buy these clothes and keep them blinkk

I also wish this episode had been more about the NYADA finalists. I didn't like Beiste's sl but not because it wasn't realistic or bad acted (like lately a lot are). On the contrary - Dot was great and I could see that happening. But lately I feel like whenever Glee tries to create these 'strong messages' and teach something, it always comes off too strong and depressing. This is a show for kids mainly. And it used to have an inspirational vibe in it's earlier seasons - every episode taught something. But it was always about the life of high schoolers and problems that were relevant to them. The suicide plot, even if a topical issue, was skimmed through too fast, as was the domestic violence. Good acting saved both of them but I think the issues are too heavy to handle in one episode, doesn't matter if it's well written or not.

Puck's sl: would have liked it a lot better if it had a happier ending. It's like all the effort of the guys was meaningless. I don't see were it left Puck. It just left him more messed up than before. And he's not Rachel - they won't give him another whole episode to close the gaps.

Rachel's sl was much better. Lea once again proved why she's the lead. I was very impressed. The quiet begging at the end was absolutely heartbreaking...

My Hummelberry-loving heart is happy. Their scenes were very cute and, as always, well acted. When Rachel tried to convince him to do Phantom, I, for one second, thought that she was back to her sabotaging ways (Rachel did act very S1) and deliberately wanted him to do the 'bland' Phantom. But she really was trying to help him and that's very sweet. Although I do think she offered to do Christine because she wanted to show off as an actress as well.

And Blaine didn't annoy me in this episode. He was a perfectly ok boyfriend. Maybe that's because he didn't get to sing???

happydays
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenEyes on 5/2/2012, 2:32 pm

happydays wrote:
Btw, did anyone notice that the dresses the 3 girls wore were from last year's competition? I thought they were always leasing them out. Wow, these kids must be very rich if they buy these clothes and keep them blinkk

I think the conceit is that the ND kids make their costumes or the dresses are not expensive. Remember, Olivia Newton John said those costumes looked cheap. Other than Kurt's wardrobe, I think just because the clothes are expensive labels in our reality doesn't mean they are in Glee reality.

In Glee reality, for instance, Rachel is not wearing $300 dresses. fanny2 neutre

Last edited by GreenEyes on 5/2/2012, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

GreenEyes
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/2/2012, 2:33 pm

So good to see u here old friend! Despite our seemingly constant bitching we r actually very easy to please. Just give us lots of good Kurt moments and a solo or two and make him win and let Blaine be the supportive bf not hogging the mic is enough to make us happy regardless of other character/sl. RIB r u listening?
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenEyes on 5/2/2012, 2:35 pm

Thanks, Kim! Glad to not be here and not dealing with Glee Forum.

GreenEyes
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick on 5/2/2012, 2:46 pm

The ratings woes are widespread, concerning more shows than Glee and more networks than Fox. The much-touted New Girl only managed a 2.1 last night versus Glee's 2.4.

Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos on 5/2/2012, 2:48 pm

Ironically enough, with the demise of House, the decay of Bones (pun intended), and Fringe so bad in ratings, and the comedy shows and scripted dramas of Fox floundering, Glee is probably in as *strong* position vis a vis Fox as it's ever been.
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile on 5/2/2012, 2:51 pm

Buenos wrote:Ironically enough, with the demise of House, the decay of Bones (pun intended), and Fringe so bad in ratings, and the comedy shows and scripted dramas of Fox floundering, Glee is probably in as *strong* position vis a vis Fox as it's ever been.
So unfair. crycry Definitely a better show than Glee.

Anyway, welcome here GreenEyes!!
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/2/2012, 3:25 pm

happydays wrote:Btw, did anyone notice that the dresses the 3 girls wore were from last year's competition? I thought they were always leasing them out. Wow, these kids must be very rich if they buy these clothes and keep them blinkk

And Blaine didn't annoy me in this episode. He was a perfectly ok boyfriend. Maybe that's because he didn't get to sing???
to the first: good to recycle. they shouldn't use the wardrobe budget for kurt's personal audition. I am ok w/ that.
to the second: yes and yes!
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel on 5/2/2012, 3:27 pm

Hi @GreenEyes. Nice to see you here too. baibai

arina wrote:I am not sure if this was not here before but here is download link for Music of the night

mediafire.com ?eqeisu358ny9ccd
bisou
Thank you, I was looking for that.

Heyerchick wrote:Why wasn't Music of the Night released with the other tracks??!! Chris sounded amazing on it. I tweeted @BFalchuk and the Anders brothers and @GleeonFox to ask for it to be released. He sings so little - why deprive us of this track too?
I think this is due to the fact that MOTN is not in the original key and Andrew Lloyd Webber is quite protective of his music. MOTN was set 4 semitones higher (to make Chris sound more like Kurt) and it changed the song tremendously. Chris could have done it in the original key, but that is not like Kurt's voice (just like they didn't let him do the Time Warp).
Don't Cry For Me Argentina was in the original (Madonna) key, so A.Lloyd Webber would have no problem with that. Although the fact that it was sung by a guy is already quite 'novel' for A.Lloyd Webber, but at least he knows what a countertenor is and sounds like.

tanita_mors wrote:Chris's vocal of MOTN was a another thing completely. Given his age, voice type and training he sounded phenomenal - and this isn't a Kurtsie talking, but someone who has heard dozens of different phantoms. Especially, his last note was so clear and steady, I was blown away. He surpassed all my expectations to be honest. If he wanted it, practiced hard and got over his little fear of singing live, he could be a great Phantom one day, in 15 years or so.
Yes, Chris sounded great. And as I said: 4 semitones higher than the original.
Part of me wanted him to sing it in the original key, because I would like to hear Chris try it. But I also like this 'Kurtification' of the song. It killed 2 birds with 1 stone:
1) It was very sweet and beautiful angelic Kurt like, but it had a 'this-is-not-the-way-it's-supposed-to-be' feeling over it at the same time. It was well sung, but not the good song to fit Kurt.
2) In the original key it would have sounded like Chris, not Kurt, and tbh: he would have fallen short. He is too young: the Phantom is not Tony from WSS.

Well done, Glee.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/2/2012, 3:32 pm

^ you mean because the standard phantom has an "old" voice, a very dark, deeper voice?
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica on 5/2/2012, 3:37 pm

Heyerchick wrote:The ratings woes are widespread, concerning more shows than Glee and more networks than Fox. The much-touted New Girl only managed a 2.1 last night versus Glee's 2.4.
true. remember NG came on really strong in the beginning? now its even worse than glee? at least glee is at the end of its third seasons. us glee fans really stick to the show through thick and thin, thanks to our constant bitching - it does help release tension. Smile

p.s. I wonder if the blaine stans are sayng this is proof that their fav is not singing in this episode? Shocked

back to the "sex riot" over kurt's hotness - since so many folks and media noticed that, does that mean kurt will has his own shower scene next year? tonguue
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl on 5/2/2012, 3:38 pm

Welcome to the forum, GreenEyes!!! Smile

Heyerchick wrote:

Either way, Kurt was being true to himself. And that's a risk he takes all the time, and which usually bites him in the ass. It's character building or something. Again, rolling with the conceits of having the Peter Allen costume on under the Phantom one and Tina, Britt and Mercedes waiting in the wings to back him up. It was a terrific audition. Kurt had chutzpah: he played his hail Mary pass and killed it. Loved the joyous vocals, loved the way the choreography picked up on all of Kurt's signature moves: we got the shimmy, the sassy finger, the sashay, the hip sway, the high kicks, the skipping high kick, the impossibly bendy 'my body is ready!' move from Some People. It was fun, upbeat, dancey, with oodles of oomph and personality. It was a performance. One helluva performance. Carmen isn't looking for perfect polished professionals, but for potential. Kurt can improve, he proved he can think on his feet and he showed her singing, acting and dancing as well as good stagecraft and stage presence. For once, Kurt pulled off a perfect audition number. I loved that for once he had a level playing field and that being true to himself paid off.

Love this entire paragraph. Absolutely true and wonderfully said. wub

I actually didn't realize Kurt was using dancing moves from his past performances until you pointed it out, even though I did recognize the move from Some People, but it didn't click with me until now. I really love that they did that with the choreography.

Delight wrote:

Only gripe about the performance-- How DARE they edit out that glorious first high note and cut short the NTBND performance?! What? They couldn't spare another 15 seconds from somewhere else in the episode? I vote for less 'Rain in Spain'; that's actually something I wouldn't mind seeing a lot less of, or none of, really Evil or Very Mad *grumble of an insatiable Kurtsie*

This really irritated me too. Would it have killed them to keep those precious seconds in when it was such a pivotal performance for Kurt and such a beautiful, important part that they cut (the high F)? Especially since Kurt is shafted on the music side of Glee so often, they could at least have given us this and shaved 12 seconds from a different performance to keep Kurt's in tact.

But, at least the performance was still glorious and phenomenal even without the high F line. neutre

Heyerchick wrote:I love how thrilled for him Kurt’s ‘Swans’ are after Carmen’s praise and that thank you kiss he blows them, so I capped the moment. Having Tina, Brittany and Mercedes back him up takes me back to the Muppet Babies werking their MC Hammer in the library. A happy place for me, then and now. Their delighted smiles are so lovely.

Ooooo, thank you for this! Awww, I love seeing how happy they are for Kurt. wub
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top